Apria or American Homepatient?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Black Shampoo

Apria or American Homepatient?

Post by Black Shampoo » Tue Oct 21, 2014 1:59 pm

Hooray, I have insurance again. Yuck - it's a new company (Aetna) that I've never dealt with and they're being clear as mud about what their actual policies are for equipment replacement.

It looks like Apria and American Homepatient are their top two DME's, and I've never dealt with either. Does anyone have experience to share with either one?

I'd like to use an in-network DME, especially if I can get on an automatic replacement schedule for filters and tubing and all that other good stuff. But also, in my experience, DME providers charge way more than just going to cpapsupply.com type sites.

Julie

Re: Apria or American Homepatient?

Post by Julie » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:29 pm

As an uninvolved longtime observer, I can tell you that Apria is far and away the least popular company ever mentioned (a lot!) on this forum... never heard of the other guys.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:36 pm

I've had American HomePatient for 3 years now and never had a problem with them.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 2:41 pm

Apria is not referred to as Crapia without reason....lots of unhappy with Apria forum members here but I have heard of American Home Patient...a few forum members have mentioned them and not badly.
It's a crap shoot really but if those were my 2 choices I think I would try American Home Patient and see how they did.
Apria has seemed to really go downhill once they changed it so you couldn't call a local office and everything has to go through the big call center...and it wasn't all that great before the change.

Edit: I see Squid has used American Home Patient. He's a happy camper.
There are a few here that use them.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

howkim

Post by howkim » Tue Oct 21, 2014 3:24 pm

In my experience, Aetna does not purchase xPAP, but only rent on a long term basis. Thus, you never own your machine.

I am not a mushroom.

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:17 pm

give either one 2 weeks to get you a machine
if they dont deliver go to the other
but that will mean you have to be aggressive
and get copies of your sleep study and prescription
which you should do anyway

maybe start em both at the same time even
kinda like watchin a turtle race

Kennerly

Post by Kennerly » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:18 pm

I use AHP. Nothing special but I haven't had any real problems either. They try to send/sell stuff to me that I dont want or need, but apparently the suppliers are all trained to do that.

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:46 pm

You will never talk to the same person twice at AHP. Keep a notebook no matter who you deal with or you will go crazy.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:00 pm

From the experience of friends/co-workers, AHP seems to be aspiring to become Apria lite.

Post by Guest » Tue Oct 21, 2014 7:15 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:From the experience of friends/co-workers, AHP seems to be aspiring to become Apria lite.
Yea I'm not sure who is worse but we forgot to mention do not give your credit card under any circumstances. Just deny you have one is easiest way to handle it.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:23 pm

Lying is appropriate if firing is not an option.
Of course, firing them was almost as much fun as killing a scorpion.

squid13

Post by squid13 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:27 pm

Guest wrote:You will never talk to the same person twice at AHP. Keep a notebook no matter who you deal with or you will go crazy.
When you call AHP 1-800 number to order you talk to who ever is up next after taking orders. It's just about that way with any 800 number place you call that takes a lot of orders everyday. I imagine they have a lot of people taking orders, so it would be hard to get the same person every time. Like I said in my other post I've been with them for over 3 years and never had a problem.

US Navy Retired 1973,AirCurve 10 ASV, Mode: ASV Auto, Min EPAP: 7.2, Max EPAP: 15.0, Min PS:4.0, Max PS: 15.0, Mask ResMed Airtouch F20, Backup: (2) AirCurve 10 ASV

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:36 pm

When I look for my next DME I will ask for a local number. My local Apria number is listed in the phone book with a number that looks local but is answered by a long distance call center. The local tech said there is no local number. Do any of the other providers give you a local number to talk with the tech?
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

squid13

Post by squid13 » Tue Oct 21, 2014 9:31 pm

They have a local AHP office here in Pensacola but I'm in no hurry for my order so I just call it in. The respiratory therapist at the local office has sleep apnea and you can call him if you need to talk to him, but I have no need right now but I have called and spoke to him, also got a mask one time at the local office.

Post by Guest » Wed Oct 22, 2014 1:10 am

squid13 wrote:They have a local AHP office here in Pensacola but I'm in no hurry for my order so I just call it in. The respiratory therapist at the local office has sleep apnea and you can call him if you need to talk to him, but I have no need right now but I have called and spoke to him, also got a mask one time at the local office.
Thats fine if you live in Pensacola.

When I was searching for a DME I called them and while they appeared very nice saying that you are assigned one person to get you setup it sounds all roses. I then asked them about equipment and told them I would not accept anything but a Respironics machine - would that be a problem. Of course not. I want that in my records right up front. All my spare parts are Respironics so that is what I want OK.

They tried to sell me supplies (several times) even before I got a machine. I kept telling them let's wait until I get the machine.

Well that is until they got the script and insisted it must say Respironics. So jump thru hoops get them what they wanted (a 3 week volley) and then never heard from them until 2 weeks after I got a machine.

Then they wanted to know where I got it - doesn't matter. But even AHP has adopted the Apria model and when you call the local # you get the call center. Good thing I don't need them eh.

Now they are still calling trying to sell me supplies, bless their little hearts. That is supposed to be against the Medicare rules.