Resmed 10 for women vs regular version

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Wulfman...

Re: Resmed 10 for women vs regular version

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Oct 20, 2014 11:11 pm

palerider wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:Dadgummit!!!! Just a gol durned minute!!! I was NOT the first person on this forum to use the term "frank" with regard to sudden, out of nowhere apneas.

It was others like -SWS and Snoredog. I just assumed that it was a type of clinical definition for them and started using it, too.

What do you mean I'm a bad influence?

Thanks for that link, Jay. Brought back some memories. "Frank had apnea?"
well, I had to pin it on someone, and you're the one that's (mis)used it the most lately, and even corrupted our sweet, innocent pugsy. *waggles finger*

and then Jay brings up that captian_midnight corrected you back in 2008... *waggles finger again*
Interestingly, YOU seem to be the ONLY one who thinks it's being "misused"........ "POINTS FINGER"

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Oct 21, 2014 4:37 am

Who is this "Frank" guy, and why is everyone picking on him?

Anemone

Post by Anemone » Tue Oct 21, 2014 5:27 am

Pugsy wrote:Which question was not answered?

As long as you never need more than 20 cm pressure....the for Her machine will be able to get the job done. It will go to 20 in all 3 modes it has available.
If you ever need more than 20 cm pressure...none of the cpap/apap machines will be able to do the job because they can't go over 20 cm pressure and you will need a different machine that can go higher.
Thank you Pugsy, I needed things explained in laymen's terms and you did just that. Now this newbie gets it.

KW

Post by KW » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:02 am

I just bought the The AirSense 10 Autoset for Her although I am a man
Resmed confirmed if I bought the for her model I get all 3 modes so I thought, why not? It was same price as
The AirSense 10 Autoset which only has two modes ...
I trialled the s9 for about 5 weeks, then the a10 auto set for 4 weeks. Was almost unconvinced on the a10 as it was too noisy but discovered an issue with nose mask and once rectified my leak data improved. The noise was due to the motor working harder to compensate the blocked vent on the mask. I was totally convinced s9 was quieter but a10 is ok now.
Anyway, I pick it up this weekend and will be getting two sd cards so that I can send one away and get analysis done routinely and still have a spare sd to record data. The chemist I did the trial with offers 5 years of sleep study support service so I plan to Do the routine data analysis check up.
When you buy your own The AirSense 10 Autoset for Her there is no SIM card option. This is only available on trial units. I was surprised to learn this as I thought this was standard and resmed could offer a cloud service to assess your data but no that is apparently not the case.
So I negotiated the two sd cards and I will cycle the cards as explained above.
I have no idea what the for her model looks like.
But don't really mind aesthetics, just want the performance. Have been using cpap for only 9 weeks and I can feel huge improvement. My apnea was bad, 58 an hr, average 30 secs ea. longest we're over 60 secs.
Have lost 6-7 kgs in 9 weeks.
Cheers

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:45 am

Anemone wrote:I don't think I get how this system works. I have tried to get people back on track, to anser my apprently selfish quesion, with not luck. Yet I was getting close to answer. Frustrated that the "hey! it' my friend writing off topic" interrupted all the good info I was getting.
I think that for most DMEs the ForHer is still on back order. I took the regular A10, because it was 6.5 weeks between writing my prescription and getting the machine as it was, and I didn't want to wait another 3 weeks for the ForHer to come in.

But, anyway, since there are few people with personal experience, you were going to get 3 responses:

1) Nothing.

2) Theoretical musings based upon the picture and journal article.

3) Silly season as we all went off on various tangents.

Welcome to internet communities. This is how they work when they are working well!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:46 am

KW wrote:When you buy your own The AirSense 10 Autoset for Her there is no SIM card option. This is only available on trial units. I was surprised to learn this as I thought this was standard and resmed could offer a cloud service to assess your data but no that is apparently not the case.
So I negotiated the two sd cards and I will cycle the cards as explained above.
I take it you aren't in the US....so US buyers...SD cards DO come with the machines and wherever KW is...they do things differently and the "chemist" (supplier) is selling a service, for I don't know how many dollars, that is easily done with the software available and a cheap $10 SD card.

Actually...any country buyers of the new ResMed machines....they all come with SD cards. Software is easily obtained, used and understood with just a little bit of education.
Now the modem for the ResMed cloud version of the results...that is probably an option but the SD cards all are included in the machine package from ResMed. I haven't seen what data the modem sends to ResMed's cloud...don't know how comprehensive it might be but I doubt if it is as detailed as what the SD card contains.

KW..if you don't mind taking/sending your SD card in every so often and paying for a report...that's up to you but it is just something your supplier is doing to make more money. Whatever you are paying for this "service" for the next 5 years is way too much IMHO unless you simply don't want to mess with it yourself....but it's incorrect to tell everyone that the SD cards aren't included...because they are unless someone is removing them so that they can turn around and offer them as part of a special service for an additional cost.

These machines will use any regular SD card..doesn't have to be a name brand card and you can use Sleepyhead software which will work with these newest machines just fine. SleepyHead is free..check out my signature line for more information on it.

KW...you are getting hosed...but if you are okay with it...that's fine but most of us here wouldn't want to pay for something we can do for ourselves (anytime we want) for free.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:54 am

Anemone wrote: Thank you Pugsy, I needed things explained in laymen's terms and you did just that. Now this newbie gets it.
No problem. Sometimes I forget that what I think seems clear to me isn't always so clear to a newbie.
So I figured I would try a different approach and I guess that's what was needed.
The AirSense for Her will do anything and everything any other cpap/apap machine will do in terms of what pressures it has available and they all go to 20 cm. Now it also adds some things that the other machines can't do in terms of data offered and how it might go about delivering that pressure (up to the 20 cm) depending on needs.

So it can go as high in terms of pressure as any of the other cpap/apap machines and has some functions that the others don't have...kind of a no brainer to get it and at least have those other features available just in case they might help a person.
You aren't giving up anything at all...but gaining some features that the others don't offer at this time.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:37 am

Wulfman... wrote:
palerider wrote: well, I had to pin it on someone, and you're the one that's (mis)used it the most lately, and even corrupted our sweet, innocent pugsy. *waggles finger*

and then Jay brings up that captian_midnight corrected you back in 2008... *waggles finger again*
Interestingly, YOU seem to be the ONLY one who thinks it's being "misused"........ "POINTS FINGER"
me, every dictionary out there, and, if you'll remember, captain_midnight.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Oct 21, 2014 8:38 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Who is this "Frank" guy, and why is everyone picking on him?
some friend of Den's, as far as I can tell.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Anemone

Post by Anemone » Wed Oct 22, 2014 5:07 am

KW wrote: Have lost 6-7 kgs in 9 weeks.
Cheers
6-7kg in 9 weeks because of Apnea treatment? What is the link between the two please?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:43 am

Anemone wrote:6-7kg in 9 weeks because of Apnea treatment? What is the link between the two please?
Once someone has effective cpap therapy there there's a chance of weight loss because of usual things that give us weight loss...more exercise and less caloric intake. We feel better in general so we do the things that might help with weight loss.

Sometimes it's more of an "I feel more like exercising and doing more" thing that causes the weight loss.
Sometimes it's an "I am not hungry as much or loading up on carbs or sweets to give me the boost of energy I need"

It doesn't always work out that way though. Depends on our weight prior to cpap therapy and our metabolism and activity level prior to cpap...and whatever.
I didn't lose any weight with cpap therapy..but maybe it kept me from gaining more....I don't know. But then I wasn't horribly overweight to start with.

There is a complicated hormone thing that I don't remember the exact names involved but the short version is that the stress from untreated apnea upsets the hormones that regulate hunger and metabolism and once that imbalance is fixed with cpap therapy the hormones get back into balance which can either help with weight loss or at least stop feeding whatever it is that is promoting the weight gain.

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Wed Oct 22, 2014 12:34 pm

Also, as anyone who has ever pulled an all-nighter can attest, food is a substitute for sleep. If that is part of what is causing your weight gain, then fixing it will take the weight off.

The hormone thing that Pugsy already mentioned is closely related to the hormone thing where hypoxia from the apneas causes your bladder to continuously fill to back-teeth-floating levels all night long. I hold out the hope that since my bladder has calmed down maybe the weight will start to come off too. (I THINK I can, I THINK I can, I THINK I can, I THINK I can... )

Anemone

Post by Anemone » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:33 pm

Pugsy wrote:
Anemone wrote:6-7kg in 9 weeks because of Apnea treatment? What is the link between the two please?
There is a complicated hormone thing that I don't remember the exact names involved but the short version is that the stress from untreated apnea upsets the hormones that regulate hunger and metabolism ...

Would that be cortisol?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Oct 22, 2014 4:39 pm

Cortisol is part of the combination if I remember right but there was something else....I think.
I tend to not soak in some of the stuff if I can't directly correlate it to myself. Just too many little things to try to remember perfectly and since going on cpap didn't let me shed one unwanted pound...I didn't dig real deep.
Forum member Janknitz is well versed on it though as are a few others.
I was doing good to remember the stress hormone ANP which the heart produces and when it goes to the kidneys the end result is a lot of urine and that's why nocturia can sometimes be blamed on sleep apnea.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Wed Oct 22, 2014 8:49 pm

Th O2 desats mess with our hormones and if low enough and long enough cause cellular damage, creating drug-resistant hypertension as well as diabetes along with other problems you'll commonly see reported here. My sleep doc said it might take up to 12 months for my blood chemistry to look more normal -- he was right. Took me 18 months to get off hypertension drugs. I didn't start losing weight for quite some time but I did start; around 9 months into CPAP therapy I was able to start slowly begin exercising and at 12 months was doing 45-75 mins/day on my exercise bike. As long as I kept up that level, I lost, up to about 60 pounds (got lots more to lose). Then, I was laid off (again) and regained most of it. I have finally once again started exercising and losing.

As Pugsy said, a lot of the connection between weight loss and apnea is finally having enough energy to exercise, re-discovering the incentive to eat well, and the desire to take better of yourself...not usually possible with untreated apnea.

That ResMed statement re responding to events above 12 cm does sound suspiciously like the old S8 algorithm, albeit updated to 12 from the old 10, but still. On S8, I averaged 1.4 AHI; on S9, I average 0.1 AHI on the same APAP range of 9.8-16 9 (averaging 13.2 now) . Don't think I'll move the 'for her' machine until I see more about other's numbers and how they like it.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.