First Night...

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
AEmedic

First Night...

Post by AEmedic » Fri Oct 17, 2014 3:46 pm

So, I picked up a loaner ResMed S9 VPAP Auto today. I will be able to use it until my machine is ready to pick up. It came with the humidifier, a Slimline hose and my mask.

Tonight will be the first time I try therapy at home. I am excited and nervous, I hope I take to it easily...either way, I'm going to use it!

I downloaded the latest version of Sleepyhead, so I'm ready to look at my data tomorrow.

I have done a lot of reading so I know it will likely be a challenge for awhile.

Any advice for the first night?

Last edited by AEmedic on Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:09 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Chris

palerider

Re: First Night...

Post by palerider » Fri Oct 17, 2014 4:01 pm

AEmedic wrote:So, I picked up a loaner ResMed S9 VPAP Auto today. I will be able to use it until my machine is ready to pick up. It came with the humidifier, a Slimeline hose and my mask.

Tonight will be the first time I try therapy at home. I am excited and nervous, I hope I take to it easily...either way, I'm going to use it!

I downloaded the latest version of Sleepyhead, so I'm ready to look at my data tomorrow.

I have done a lot of reading so I know it will likely be a challenge for awhile.

a positive attitude helps a *LOT*.

you will see a lot of people coming in here (and other forums) with bad views, and attitudes that are making already unfun things worse.

they come in talking about how the horrible pressure is like 'gale force winds' or a 'hurricane in the face', and it'll 'blow the mask across the room' and other BS hyperbole, (not to mention all physically impossible)

yeah, for many people it takes getting used to, and for many it takes time. but instead of making it worse in your head, think positive, it's life sustaining pressure, that keeps you from choking at night, keeps you from strangling your organs, and your brain!

sure, it probably won't be EASY... but then, most things in life that are worthwhile aren't easy, they take some work...

remember, you probalby won't take to it immediately (though some do) and you may take a while to start feeling better, just like it took you quite a while to start feeling so bad you ended up seeking treatment. (though, some notice immediate differences).

keep at it, and we're here to offer support.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Fri Oct 17, 2014 5:39 pm

AEmedic wrote:So, I picked up a loaner ResMed S9 VPAP Auto today. I will be able to use it until my machine is ready to pick up. It came with the humidifier, a Slimeline hose and my mask.

You could sit with the machine and mask on for a bit before you go to bed, just to get used to the feel of it before trying to fall asleep with it.

BTW, I'm sure your hose is slime-free. No doubt you meant Slimline, but just so you know there is also a Climateline hose available for the S9's with internal heating coils should you want to experiment a little more with temperature/humidification.

AEmedic

Post by AEmedic » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:13 pm

palerider wrote:

a positive attitude helps a *LOT*.

you will see a lot of people coming in here (and other forums) with bad views, and attitudes that are making already unfun things worse.

they come in talking about how the horrible pressure is like 'gale force winds' or a 'hurricane in the face', and it'll 'blow the mask across the room' and other BS hyperbole, (not to mention all physically impossible)

yeah, for many people it takes getting used to, and for many it takes time. but instead of making it worse in your head, think positive, it's life sustaining pressure, that keeps you from choking at night, keeps you from strangling your organs, and your brain!

sure, it probably won't be EASY... but then, most things in life that are worthwhile aren't easy, they take some work...

remember, you probalby won't take to it immediately (though some do) and you may take a while to start feeling better, just like it took you quite a while to start feeling so bad you ended up seeking treatment. (though, some notice immediate differences).

keep at it, and we're here to offer support.
Thank you! I am in a very positive frame of mind. Now, come tomorrow I might feel differently, but I doubt it! I have been sleeping so poorly for so long that I think this will eventually be a dream come true.

Chris

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:14 pm

oh oh... make *sure* that the mask and hose settings are correct in the config menu. (double checkmark button)

if you can't see what they are, then go into the setup menu and check.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:16 pm

AEmedic wrote:Thank you! I am in a very positive frame of mind. Now, come tomorrow I might feel differently, but I doubt it! I have been sleeping so poorly for so long that I think this will eventually be a dream come true.
one other tip, make sure you're in a good position when you go to sleep, the first night I used cpap, I strapped it on, and curled up on my side, with my right arm tucked up somehow, maybe under my head, I don't remember.

all I do know is that eight or nine hours later, I woke up... in the same position, and couldn't feel my right forearm... it ached for weeks... so make sure you're aren't pinching anything when you doze off

AEmedic

Post by AEmedic » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:16 pm

kaiasgram wrote:You could sit with the machine and mask on for a bit before you go to bed, just to get used to the feel of it before trying to fall asleep with it.

BTW, I'm sure your hose is slime-free. No doubt you meant Slimline, but just so you know there is also a Climateline hose available for the S9's with internal heating coils should you want to experiment a little more with temperature/humidification.
That is a great idea, I am going to do that!

Nope, no slime... I did get the Climateline hose on the RX so it will be with my machine when I actually get the one they ordered.

Chris

AEmedic

Post by AEmedic » Fri Oct 17, 2014 6:21 pm

palerider wrote:one other tip, make sure you're in a good position when you go to sleep, the first night I used cpap, I strapped it on, and curled up on my side, with my right arm tucked up somehow, maybe under my head, I don't remember.

all I do know is that eight or nine hours later, I woke up... in the same position, and couldn't feel my right forearm... it ached for weeks... so make sure you're aren't pinching anything when you doze off
Now that's funny! Kind of like the old Nyquil, it was the "Take it where you intend to drop" medicine...don't take it in the kitchen, for instance, because that's where you'll wake up. Haha

Chris

AEmedic

Post by AEmedic » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:10 am

Olay, Here is my first night in graph form... I might have slept a little better than I normally do but I guess I learned that I have more centrals that I thought.

What do you guys think?

Chris

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:16 am

Look at the clusters of Centrals...particularly that first central cluster after the break in therapy when it's obvious you woke up...is it possble that you were awake at that time?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

AEmedic

Post by AEmedic » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:27 am

Pugsy wrote:Look at the clusters of Centrals...particularly that first central cluster after the break in therapy when it's obvious you woke up...is it possble that you were awake at that time?
I can relate exactly how I felt during those times... As I was going back to sleep, I would just start to dream or at least start drifting on a thought, if you know what I mean, when I would wake back up with a gasp and a few deep breaths. According to SH most of these are between 11 and 18 second events.

Chris

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:02 am

Just watch the centrals for now. The bulk of these centrals could be awake/semi awake irregular breathing getting flagged by mistake. Remember the machine doesn't know if you are awake or not. It can and will flag awake/semi awake breathing (SWJ...sleep/wake/junk) sometimes by mistake and often it calls it a central.

Some may be real sleep onset centrals where it's normal to have a central as we transition to sleep.
Normally not a problem unless we have a large number of them causing desats or repeatedly kicking a person out of sleep so they never get good sleep.

You have large blocks of time where centrals aren't really present in any large numbers. Assuming you were asleep during those large blocks of time...it's doubtful that you would be having centrals from the cpap pressure that could potentially be a problem. Not impossible but at this point with just starting therapy it's common for new users to have a lot "awakenings" during the night because the brain isn't used to having the alien on its face blowing air up your nose.
As your body comes to accept the alien your brain should come to accept the mask as its new best friend.

So...while the centrals look a bit ugly...one night isn't proof that they are a potential problem or something to worry about. Now if you didn't have any time at all without centrals...then maybe we sit up and take notice real fast.

So just keep an eye on them for now. Your doc wouldn't do anything but say "give it time" at this point.
People tend to get all in a panic when they see centrals..especially newbies but there's no need to panic.
Some may not even be real and if they are...and in numbers where they present a problem...it can be dealt with.

I assume you have a follow up appointment with your doctor at some time in the next month or two?
If centrals are still present in one month or so...then have a chat with your doctor if you are still seeing them in large numbers or clusters at sleep onset.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

AEmedic

Post by AEmedic » Sat Oct 18, 2014 7:16 am

Thanks again Pugsy, I appreciate the advice. I'm not in a panic, just learning.

It is interesting that the very low pressure that was set as my starting pressures (8/4) was basically able to cover most of the events. Aside from the centrals (real or not), I only show two hypopneas, that's pretty darn good!

And yes, I have an appointment in 6 weeks to do a follow up.

Chris

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Oct 18, 2014 5:03 pm

AEmedic wrote:What do you guys think?
next time, don't shrink down the pic, it makes it impossible to deciper any of the often very important detail numbers.

also, arrange your strip charts so you have event flags, flow, pressure OR mask pressure, leaks, snores, flow limits (pretty much in that order)

pressure and mask pressure are redundant... I like the mask pressure chart usually, pugsy likes pressure.

generally pressure is a little easier to see what happened when zoomed out, and mask pressure shows more of what's happening when zoomed in (in my opinion)

AEmedic

Post by AEmedic » Sat Oct 18, 2014 6:00 pm

This should be better...

I haven't figured out how to show more items in the screenshot, but at least this one will be readable.

Chris