Wife is going to leave me I keep falling asleep

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
TankerBell

Wife is going to leave me I keep falling asleep

Post by TankerBell » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:41 pm

Title says it all. I can't stay awake. Wife is fed up and bored with me. Been on CPAP for almost two weeks with no improvement. What can I do!? I can't help falling asleep. Wife gave me an ultimatum on my falling asleep which is why I went to sleep doc in the first place. Should I ask doc about Nuvigil at least temporarily?
CPAP Machine: Fisher & Paykel ICON Auto CPAP Machine with Built-In Heated Humidifier and ThermoSmart Heated Hose
Mask: Airfit P10 Nasal Pillow Mask by ResMed

TankerBell

Re: Wife is going to leave me I keep falling asleep

Post by TankerBell » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:44 pm

I am also exercising again and monitoring AHI with Sleepyhead. Average is below 5 so far.
CPAP Machine: Fisher & Paykel ICON Auto CPAP Machine with Built-In Heated Humidifier and ThermoSmart Heated Hose

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:47 pm

Does your wife understand that it takes most people a while to adjust and recover?

TankerBell

Post by TankerBell » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:52 pm

She doesn't and explaining it so far hasn't done much to help. She's embarrassed that I even have a CPAP and am requiring this kind of medical attention at 28 years old.

TankerBell

Post by TankerBell » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:56 pm

One of our problems is that I work during the day and when she works three times a week it is late at night. She is a night person and I never have been. I am falling asleep all day long except for really early in the morning. Then I fall asleep right after dinner.

petermills

Post by petermills » Mon Oct 13, 2014 8:59 pm

You might want to get a new wife..

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:05 pm

How many hours of sleep are you getting a night? Is the sleep broken up?

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

TankerBell

Post by TankerBell » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:07 pm

She told me tonight that I am like this big blob who is just there, and that I should be ashamed for getting myself to the point where I need help with my energy levels. I used to run 5 miles a day and weighed 185. But even then I fell asleep during the day a lot. I am at 240 now and back up to 2 miles a day, walking and running. I have been up and down my whole life and she knew this. We have been married for 5 years and have a 2 year old.

NateS

Post by NateS » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:08 pm

TankerBell wrote:Title says it all. I can't stay awake. Wife is fed up and bored with me. Been on CPAP for almost two weeks with no improvement. What can I do!? I can't help falling asleep. Wife gave me an ultimatum on my falling asleep which is why I went to sleep doc in the first place. Should I ask doc about Nuvigil at least temporarily?
The fact that she is not standing by you as you struggle with a significant health problem suggests that there are a lot more problems in your relationship with her than this one, in which case I would suggest that you concentrate on your health problems and accept the probability that the relationship is probably over and that new opportunities for happiness will open up in the future with someone more worthy of you.

Best wishes, Nate

Present Rx: EPAP: 8; IPAPlo:11; IPAPHi: 23; PSMin: 3; PSMax: 15
"I've had a perfectly wonderful evening, but this wasn't it." —Groucho Marx

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:10 pm

TankerBell wrote:She doesn't and explaining it so far hasn't done much to help. She's embarrassed that I even have a CPAP and am requiring this kind of medical attention at 28 years old.
So you kinda can't win here -- it wasn't ok for you to go untreated and be falling asleep uncontrollably, and now it's not ok that you're starting treatment?

But to your question -- you could ask your doc about nuvigil, though your doc might say that it's a little too soon to conclude that you need it. There are really very few people who feel better and start functioning better right after starting treatment. Also, you may be one of those folks who needs to be even lower on your nightly AHI to really feel better. You are welcome to post some of your SleepyHead reports here and get feedback that might help you optimize your therapy.

*I'm sure you'll get lots of comments about getting rid of your wife, etc., but until/unless you're asking for marital advice we would do better to help you with your struggles with cpap.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:13 pm

A good time to get rid of the people in your life who are not there for you when you need them. If they won't help with this minor medical thing don't expect them to be there for you when something monumental happens.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:14 pm

Are you falling asleep without your cpap on?

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:16 pm

I just read your most recent post. Your wife (and you) may not be aware that weight gain is sometimes caused by sleep apnea. A lot of people are surprised to learn this. Your story -- of being a runner and even then being tired and falling asleep all the time -- makes me wonder if you had sleep apnea long before you knew it.

I'm so sorry about the situation you're in, especially with a young child.

TankerBell

Post by TankerBell » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:17 pm

Bill: I am sleeping about 7 hours a night. I do wake up a couple times most nights. And my doc just allowed me to up my max pressure after zi explained that Sleepyhead is showing 8 wasn't enough to break up some of the apneaic events.

TankerBell

Post by TankerBell » Mon Oct 13, 2014 9:18 pm

Yes. I fall asleep during the day without the CPAP on. I have been very religious about sleeping with it at night and haven't really struggled with it. I adapt fast. No major leaks on Sleepyhead either.