Pad-A-Cheek mask liner

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Germgh0st

Re: Pad-A-Cheek mask liner

Post by Germgh0st » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:06 am

library lady wrote:Two points I'd like to make:
1) Perhaps you need to play a bit more with your strap adjustment. Do it with the liner on.
2) While Pad-A-Cheek liners did not work for me, it was because the fabric bothered me. I started using RemZzz liners, and you might want to try those. I did find that Pad-A-Cheeks helped control and "quiet" the leaks.

Now, with the RemZzz liners, I rarely have a leak that wakes me. Some leakage will always occur even with a liner, and that's the reality. Straps need to be adjusted just so. Too tight or too loose, mask noises and leaks will be worse. Have you tried the Mask Fit feature of your machine?
I have been through the adjustment process at length, during the day so that I wasn't trying to do it when I wanted to go to sleep. It's not me that the leak wakes up, it's my partner. I wear ear plugs while I sleep so I don't hear a thing, however she is awoken by what she describes as a noisy kettle boiling.

The reason I chose Pad-A-Cheek over the RemZzz liners was because I often find myself having to itch under my mask, which I do with a cotton bud. With the RemZzz liners not actually being attached to the mash I suspected that they might take offence at the mask movement and move or curl.

I slept without the liner last night and had no leaks, and not so much itching either. Maybe my face is getting used to it, and I work from home so I don't have to leave the house with 'mask face' thankfully.
Jay Aitchsee wrote:It is my opinion, after trying the two commercial types and homemade, that these liners do not prevent leaks, but quite them so that any leaks aren't as disturbing to some. All liners that I have tried have actually increased the reported leak rate (sometimes dramatically). I believe some find just quieting the leaks effective, I do not.
As far as preventing leaks goes, I've never understood how placing porous material between skin and silicon could prevent leaks.
This. I had the same doubt - it's simple physics. For me it wasn't about preventing leaks, it was about making the mask more comfortable. Whilst comfort has been achieved, I have leaks with the liner which cancel out it's benefit.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Oct 11, 2014 9:20 am

The fabric does indeed silence "face farts", but they also absorb moisture in the form of rainout and perspiration;
and maintain comfortable temperatures under the mask. Some leakage is allowed for with cushion masks,
and the leakage normally remains within limits as long as the cushion fits properly.
If the leaks are too high, it's usually the mask's fault. --likely not the right size/shape
Mask material may also be problematic; My jaw dropped with a full face silicone cushion;
and only a gel mask had enough flexibility to maintain a seal.

Germgh0st

Post by Germgh0st » Sat Oct 11, 2014 11:19 am

chunkyfrog wrote:The fabric does indeed silence "face farts", but they also absorb moisture in the form of rainout and perspiration;
and maintain comfortable temperatures under the mask. Some leakage is allowed for with cushion masks,
and the leakage normally remains within limits as long as the cushion fits properly.
If the leaks are too high, it's usually the mask's fault. --likely not the right size/shape
Mask material may also be problematic; My jaw dropped with a full face silicone cushion;
and only a gel mask had enough flexibility to maintain a seal.
The mask fits my face perfectly, as proven by sleeping without the liner last night and experiencing no issues with leakage. It's the liner that causes the mask to leak unfortunately, I assume because it compromises the contact between the cushion and my face.

Paralel

Post by Paralel » Mon Oct 13, 2014 2:03 pm

The only other suggestion I'd have for the new beta liner for the quattro, in addition to adding a second triangle, make the triangle bigger. In some instances the triangle doesn't come down far enough to protect my nose. People can always cut it down, but if it doesn't come down far enough, it defeats the purpose.

janeee

Post by janeee » Mon Oct 20, 2014 2:32 pm

I tried the pad-a-cheek mask liner with nose and forehead pads attached. It caused my Quattro pro mask to leak most of the night. I threw the pad-a-cheek away the next morning. Money down the drain.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sun Oct 26, 2014 10:16 pm

Some people have cut a liner from an old, well-washed t-shirt and been successful without causing leaks.

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.

Denial Dave

Post by Denial Dave » Mon Oct 27, 2014 3:57 am

Pad-a-cheek works awesome for me.... it absorbs facial oils that accumulate during the night and significantly reduced my leaks

I highly recommend that those having troubles look at how that have their masks fitted before blaming pad-a-cheek for increasing their leaks.

if you don't know where you are going... any road will take you there.... George Harrison

gavinpreacher

Post by gavinpreacher » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:00 am

i was directed to this post by some others from a diffeerent post that i made. Is there a place I can see what these things look like and learn what they are and how they work? i am having some major comfort issues with my full face mask and was directed here to see if these can help.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:11 am

gavinpreacher wrote:Is there a place I can see what these things look like and learn what they are and how they work?
http://www.padacheek.com/

gavinpreacher

Post by gavinpreacher » Wed Dec 31, 2014 9:17 am

thanks for the link. I was just looking at them, and will probably be ordering one. I hope it helps with the comfort issues I have been having, as the material of the cushion makes me uncomfortable with sticking and such. As I try to get comfortable I constantly find that I am twicthing my face and cheeks to try and get the mask into a comfortable position.

jreiling

Post by jreiling » Wed Jun 08, 2016 7:42 pm

I am just now trying one, I agree with another's post that I need to trim around the hole to make it larger, seems it will work better. The pad a cheek padding for the straps work wonders in preventing the dig in marks from my straps.

'

tellme2

Post by tellme2 » Wed Jun 08, 2016 9:34 pm

I too purchased a 'pad-a-cheek' for my Quattro full face. I found I had to tighten the mask quite a bit at first, but gradually tweaked it over the following week. I find I don't get such an itchy face now, anything that makes this experience workable has to be good. no more hurling the mask to the floor after a couple of hours!