lurker coming out

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
kteague

Re: lurker coming out

Post by kteague » Wed Oct 08, 2014 2:29 pm

zoocrewphoto wrote: ...in lab sleep study. It will eliminate all false events since brain waves will be monitored....
Very key point since the OP's concern is if some of the recorded events were actually while awake.

js12278

Post by js12278 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 3:29 pm

I've been told the in lab has to wait for a little while, possibly at least 90 days. I am continuing to use the machine to meet their "compliance". 4 hrs/day 70% of 30 days. I have a few questions if some could answer for me I would appreciate it.

1. Does the machine's air flow respond to the lack of back pressure from my breathing? If I am breathing fine the pressure is at 5 (just an example) and I have an event and then pressure rises since it senses a stop of my breathing, is this correct?

2. I read about successes with cpap therapy. Does that mean that people have actually stopped using the machine or they just achieved an acceptable AHI number and they continue on the machine?

I have been using SleepyHead and checking my data every morning. Reading the stories of others compared to mine I almost feel like I am trespassing in an environment I do not even belong my events are so insignificant. I still feel absolutely no difference from the therapy and my blood ox is always 92 or better. And for those that feel good throwing around accusations. It is not about Denial. I have too many reasons to NOT accept a serious health issue, however I refuse to do anything that is unnecessary.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:05 pm

js12278 wrote:I've been told the in lab has to wait for a little while, possibly at least 90 days. I am continuing to use the machine to meet their "compliance". 4 hrs/day 70% of 30 days. I have a few questions if some could answer for me I would appreciate it.

1. Does the machine's air flow respond to the lack of back pressure from my breathing? If I am breathing fine the pressure is at 5 (just an example) and I have an event and then pressure rises since it senses a stop of my breathing, is this correct?

2. I read about successes with cpap therapy. Does that mean that people have actually stopped using the machine or they just achieved an acceptable AHI number and they continue on the machine?

I have been using SleepyHead and checking my data every morning. Reading the stories of others compared to mine I almost feel like I am trespassing in an environment I do not even belong my events are so insignificant. I still feel absolutely no difference from the therapy and my blood ox is always 92 or better. And for those that feel good throwing around accusations. It is not about Denial. I have too many reasons to NOT accept a serious health issue, however I refuse to do anything that is unnecessary.
1. Your profile shows you have an S9 Elite. That's a fixed pressure machine and will NOT respond to an event with higher pressure. It can't.

2. Some people "stop" using their machines for various reasons. Very few of them do so because they think they're "cured".
Most of them become successful with their therapy and learn to live with it......and make up their mind to "enjoy" it.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

js12278

Post by js12278 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:06 pm

Yeah that's the wrong machine..sorry, its auto set.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:09 pm

js12278 wrote:Yeah that's the wrong machine..sorry, its auto set.
OK. But, it would have to be set to a range of pressures in Auto/APAP mode to respond to events. If it is set to a fixed pressure, it acts just like an Elite and will not/cannot respond.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:16 pm

js12278 wrote: 1. Does the machine's air flow respond to the lack of back pressure from my breathing? If I am breathing fine the pressure is at 5 (just an example) and I have an event and then pressure rises since it senses a stop of my breathing, is this correct?

1 if you have an elite (says elite by the power button) then no, your machine doesn't respond to events, it just provides a set pressure, (with drops if you're using epr) it will note events, but not respond to them.

2 cpap 'therapy' doesn't fix anything, it just keeps you alive. much like eyeglasses don't fix your eyes, they just allow you to see sharply. take them, (or the cpap off) and you're back to your old fuzzy (gasping/choking) self.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

js12278

Post by js12278 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 4:52 pm

So if someone wasn't gasping and choking before they went on cpap, turned off the therapy, they'd go back to no gasping or choking, Pr?

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:06 pm

js12278 wrote:So if someone wasn't gasping and choking before they went on cpap, turned off the therapy, they'd go back to no gasping or choking, Pr?
at which point, one would have to ask "why were you playing with a cpap if you didn't need it in the first place?"

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:20 pm

js12278 wrote:So if someone wasn't gasping and choking before they went on cpap, turned off the therapy, they'd go back to no gasping or choking, Pr?
The vast majority of us didn't know how much we were gasping and choking before we had our sleep studies. We just thought we were sleeping "blissfully" and well.

Den

User since 05/14/05

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:29 pm

Of course, gasping and choking while you are asleep is quite often not remembered.
(It's sleep, after all) I have only once heard myself snore, (while waking up) yet I have been told
by relatives and professionals that I snore loudly and frequently to the effect that nobody else sleeps.
The after-effects are what makes untreated apneacs a danger to themselves and others.
Google microsleep--you may not know you are doing it until after the tragedy.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:37 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:I have only once heard myself snore, (while waking up) yet I have been told
by relatives and professionals that I snore loudly and frequently to the effect that nobody else sleeps.
"ribbit" *windows rattle* "ribbit" *windows rattle* "ribbit" *windows rattle, cup falls off counter*

something like that?

OkyDoky

Post by OkyDoky » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:56 pm

I can understand where your feelings are coming from being a driver who was all of a sudden required to comply with new regulations when you didn't feel you had a problem. I'm a retired health professional but I was contract driving, only as a backup, with my husband in case he had a problem. When the DOT Dr. states sleep study before you can be certified for longer than 3 months, it is a frustrating feeling. By the time I called my Dr., was referred to a pulmonologist, had an office visit, and 1st sleep study my 3 months were over and I could no longer drive. I had a 2nd titration study and referral to a DME and all that entails. After tx for a week I took a report to the DOT Dr. who charged me for another physical for 3 mos. Then, after 3mos., I take her a report and she will increase that for a year. So I can understand the resistance and frustration.

While I felt liked I was pushed into this and did not want to be tied to a machine, I didn't realize how bad I felt until I realized how much better it made me feel. Also my mother had just died with many illnesses which could have been complications of sleep apnea, because I know she snored. Just trying to use the machine to meet compliance has to be disrupting your sleep. I hope you will use the machine for more than compliance; that you will use it for your health.
ResMed Aircurve 10 VAUTO EPAP 11 IPAP 15 / P10 pillows mask / Sleepyhead Software / Back up & travel machine Respironics 760

js12278

Post by js12278 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 5:58 pm

ok, sorry but I have not mastered the multi quote process in this forum.
Pr: I have said from the get go, the only reason I went for a sleep study was because my employer has adopted the "NEW" fatigued driving criteria. My doctor, my personal doctor did not order a sleep study, the company doctor did because of the company's lower than guideline standards criteria. So basically the majority of their drivers will be eligible for the sleep studies and possibly "require" cpap therapy. So I did not elect to "play" with the cpap therapy, I have been pushed to it. I have never woke up from my sleep ever gasping for air. I know what it is and what it looks like, I've seen it in someone else, NOT ME. If I did I would use cpap therapy, trust me.

Wulfman: The pressures are set in a range from 4 to 16. My spouse is a light sleeper and has never told me or agreed that I should get the study because of my sleeping habits. I sleep Healthy, tyvm.

js12278

Post by js12278 » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:00 pm

kaiasgram wrote:js, I'm curious -- what is the AHI that puts a person in the "must get treatment" group by your employer?
According to the documents I have now, AHI of 5 or more needs to meet compliance on cpap therapy.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Oct 23, 2014 6:07 pm

js12278 wrote:ok, sorry but I have not mastered the multi quote process in this forum.
Pr: I have said from the get go, the only reason I went for a sleep study was because my employer has adopted the "NEW" fatigued driving criteria. My doctor, my personal doctor did not order a sleep study, the company doctor did because of the company's lower than guideline standards criteria. So basically the majority of their drivers will be eligible for the sleep studies and possibly "require" cpap therapy. So I did not elect to "play" with the cpap therapy, I have been pushed to it. I have never woke up from my sleep ever gasping for air. I know what it is and what it looks like, I've seen it in someone else, NOT ME. If I did I would use cpap therapy, trust me.

Wulfman: The pressures are set in a range from 4 to 16. My spouse is a light sleeper and has never told me or agreed that I should get the study because of my sleeping habits. I sleep Healthy, tyvm.
OK. Just be aware that if, at some point, you still aren't feeling "refreshed", for some people, changing pressures can contribute to that.....and some people do better with a fixed pressure......less sleep disturbances.

Den

User since 05/14/05