New CPAP user

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Graceryan06

New CPAP user

Post by Graceryan06 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:40 pm

I was diagnosed with mild sleep apnea,with an AHI of 13.4, I believe. So it's not really horrible. I have only tried sleeping with the mask for 2 nights, but it is extremely hard to get used to. I have a full face mask because I sleep with my mouth open. So if anyone has any suggestions as to how to adjust to the mask, I would appreciate it. Thanks!

Julie

Re: New CPAP user

Post by Julie » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:51 pm

What mask do you have - name & model? There are very many masks out there!

And what machine, full name & model #?

Graceryan06

Post by Graceryan06 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 3:15 pm

Ok. I updated my profile with the machine and mask information.

tortoisegirl

Post by tortoisegirl » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:08 pm

If you could tell us specifically what mask issues you are having, if any, that would be helpful. Or is it just more of an in general difficulty adjusting to it? That is quite common.

I just started wearing the Airfit F10 (switched from the Quattro FX, which is quite similar). Mask liners can help with comfort for some folks (search for RemZZZs and Padacheek). I find they made the mask feel too tight in the nose area though. I'm finding it likes to slide around on my face, even with my low pressure, so I've tightened the lower straps quite a bit but kept the top ones quite loose. I'm also struggling with it causing sores on my nose, but I had to get my nose adjusted to my old mask too. I use Lanolin ointment and tape during that time.

Yes it does take quite some time to get used to the mask. Wearing it during the day watching tv or reading or whatever could help. Mostly though, its just time (and persistence). Are you able to get through the night with it yet? Good luck! Best wishes.

Graceryan06

Post by Graceryan06 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 4:59 pm

I think the main problem I'm having is just getting used to wearing it. I only wore it for 4 hours the first night and 3 the second night. I adjusted the humidifier to a different level and that has seemed to help with the dry mouth. I guess it's just something to get used to.

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:14 pm

the F10 mask is one of the new ones that uses an air seal .... might help to read through this , it is a similar mask :

http://maskarrayed.wordpress.com/taming ... ge-quattro

stick with it ... it will get better
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sat Oct 04, 2014 7:19 pm

Getting used to wearing the mask all night is normal for a newbie. Try putting on the mask in the evening or during the day when watching tv, reading, or whatever you like to do. In your home of course... This will speed up the process of getting used to the mask. Keep going... you'll get used to it in no time.

Sheriff

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Oct 04, 2014 8:05 pm

You might try wearing the mask and using the machine while awake...like watching TV or reading.
It helps if the body can get used to having the alien on its face so that a person isn't quite so hyper sensitive to the mask and/or therapy.
Eventually it becomes second nature as long as you aren't having issues with leaks or comfort and the brain will no longer be so hyper vigilant and wake you just so you know the mask is on your face.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Graceryan06

Post by Graceryan06 » Thu Oct 09, 2014 4:46 pm

I ended up swapping out the full face mask for the nasal pillows. I am doing a lot better on those so far because I don't feel as claustrophobic with just the nasal pillows in. My only problem is that last night, I noticed the sound of bubbles around the pillows. Has anyone on here ever used the covers that go on the hose and do they work?

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:01 pm

Others will tell you about the hose covers and Climateline, but just wanted to mention that the machine/humidifier should be no more than level (pref. lower) than your head, to keep the water from running down to the mask.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Oct 09, 2014 5:10 pm

Yes, the hose covers help and are enough for some people.
Probably you had a little rain out in the nasal pillows from the moisture in your own breathe mixing in with the humidified air.
You have several options and to save my finger typing you might read this
viewtopic/t94035/Pugsys-Pointers-3Deali ... -road.html
Second post in that thread. I think I covered all the options.

If you don't have a heated hose...that might be something to look at too.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Graceryan06

Post by Graceryan06 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 10:57 am

Ok, it's been a week of using the nasal pillows. I was sleeping with them fine for the first couple of days, but now I have a horrible sinus infection. I am staying congested in my nose, even after using a nasal spray at night and taking sinus medicine. I have the humidifier turned up to 8. I go to sleep fine, but I wake up in the middle of the night and take off the pillows because I can't breathe. Can anyone help with this or tell me what I'm doing wrong? Or something else to try? Thanks!

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:02 am

Switch to a full face mask for the duration of your sinus problems.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Graceryan06

Post by Graceryan06 » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:05 am

I had a full face mask to start with, but I was very claustrophobic with it. I couldn't sleep at all with the mask on.

Hawthorne

Post by Hawthorne » Mon Oct 13, 2014 11:19 am

I don't know anything about that new Resmed machine, which you have, but I have been on cpap for 12+ years. I get very congested with much humidity. I use passive humidity (water in the chamber but no heat) most of the year. On colder winter nights (I live in Southwestern Ontario in Canada) I usually only need a setting of 1.

You probably have a heated hose - about which I know nothing. I just know that I get very congested with very much heated humidity.

Out situations may be way different but just sharing my experience.

Additional Comments:  Backups- FX Nano masks. Backup machine- Airmini auto travel cpap