Almost new here.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Noctuary

Almost new here.

Post by Noctuary » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:21 pm

Well not exactly new. I registered the other day and can't seem to log in anymore, so I made a new account.

I was diagnosed with mild apnea AHI 10. I use a ResMed 9 Escape Auto with a nasal mask, and do feel a lot better. I still though have daily fatigue that I wish could be overcome.

After playing around with my machine I found that for the last 30 days my AHI average is 2.9, pressure range is 5-20, 10.4 the ideal pressure, if I understand it right. I sleep 7-8 hours a night, with only one interruption, to go to the bathroom. I also take Lorazepam most nights.

I bought a refurbished laptop so I could use SleepyHead, but its not working well. If SleepyHead doesn't crash, which it often does, it tells me my average AHI for the past 42 days is 0.0.

Not sure what else to do.

Mask: Flexifit 407

Re: Almost new here.

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:25 pm

Where are you getting this from?
Noctuary wrote:my AHI average is 2.9,

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:31 pm

Where are you getting this from?
The ResMed 9.

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Sat Oct 04, 2014 1:36 pm

The EA machine does record total AHI and it can be shown on the machine's display screen, but it doesn't record the breakdown of event types.

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:03 pm

kaiasgram wrote:The EA machine does record total AHI and it can be shown on the machine's display screen, but it doesn't record the breakdown of event types.
Is the S9 Escape one that does not record a breakdown of events?

kaiasgram

Post by kaiasgram » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:05 pm

Guest wrote:
kaiasgram wrote:The EA machine does record total AHI and it can be shown on the machine's display screen, but it doesn't record the breakdown of event types.
Escape (straight cpap) doesn't record AHI at all.
Escape Auto (APAP) records total AHI but not event type.

Post by Guest » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:45 pm

kaiasgram wrote:
Guest wrote:
Escape (straight cpap) doesn't record AHI at all.
Escape Auto (APAP) records total AHI but not event type.
Could the OP have an Escape Auto S9 and that is why SH won't display anything?

Julie

Post by Julie » Sat Oct 04, 2014 2:50 pm

Noctuary - 5 is a very low pressure to be effective... I suggest you try raising it to 6 or 7 for a week and see if you feel better.

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:21 pm

Noctuary - 5 is a very low pressure to be effective... I suggest you try raising it to 6 or 7 for a week and see if you feel better.
I don't think I can without my doc's permission. I'm still renting the machine.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Oct 04, 2014 10:30 pm

Guest wrote: Could the OP have an Escape Auto S9 and that is why SH won't display anything?
It depends on the SleepyHead version. I think maybe the latest version 0.9.8 xx will pull AHI and average pressure like ResScan does but the prior Sleepyhead versions wouldn't work well with the S9 Escape Auto because those versions of SleepyHead needed the detailed data files to compute the data and the Escape Auto didn't have those files.
Sort of like when we leave the SD card in the computer overnight and Sleepyhead says we didn't use the machine because the data files it needs aren't on the SD card.
But ResScan says we did but just only gives us the summary data.
At least it seems to work with my S9 Adapt...I haven't heard first hand about if the Escape Auto will show anything with the latest SleepyHead.
If the OP here got the newly released SleepyHead...then no, I guess it won't show any use even if there was use and a person would need ResScan in that situation but the LCD screen shows it too...so not that much of a benefit.

I would be swapping that Escape Auto for the Autoset if it were me.
People need the leak rate..it's kinda important. Not to mention the Escape Auto has old technology algorithm instead of new technology.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Julie

Post by Julie » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:23 am

Who would know if you changed your own pressure overnight for a few nights, and then changed it back in the a.m. - are you using a modem?

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Sun Oct 05, 2014 12:56 pm

Julie wrote:Who would know if you changed your own pressure overnight for a few nights, and then changed it back in the a.m. - are you using a modem?
No, not a modem on this one.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sun Oct 05, 2014 1:17 pm

Noctuary wrote:
The doctor works for you not vice versa. The insurance or DME aren't interested in your therapy - only the hours you use it. If they were interested in your therapy you wouldn't have an Escape.
Get a copy of the clinical manual and make the adjustments you feel you need. It is only air. Kids adjust their insulin based on readings, they could kill themselves doing it, but that is approved use.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Noctuary

Post by Noctuary » Sun Oct 05, 2014 4:52 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:
Noctuary wrote:
The doctor works for you not vice versa. The insurance or DME aren't interested in your therapy - only the hours you use it. If they were interested in your therapy you wouldn't have an Escape.
Get a copy of the clinical manual and make the adjustments you feel you need. It is only air. Kids adjust their insulin based on readings, they could kill themselves doing it, but that is approved use.
Isn't there a danger that one could acquire CSA?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Oct 05, 2014 5:09 pm

Noctuary wrote: Isn't there a danger that one could acquire CSA?
Depending on what you read the chance of pressures causing centrals in cpap users is around 10 to 15 % of the users...and it doesn't have to be from a higher pressure...it can be from any pressure. It can be from as little as 4 cm pressure or maybe there's a fine line somewhere higher. It's not nearly as common as people might think or DMEs might say to scare people.

If you are using the S9 Escape Auto in APAP mode...you are already likely using a higher pressure once you go to sleep.
Increasing the minimum a little just gives the machine a head start getting to where it needs to effectively prevent the obstructive events. Just helps the machine do its job more effectively.
Noctuary wrote:pressure range is 5-20, 10.4 the ideal pressure
If you are already spending a lot of time up around 10 cm...increasing that minimum from 5 to 6 isn't very likely going to trigger centrals if you don't get them at 10 cm..
BUT
your machine can't tell you what kind of events you are having because it doesn't break that AHI down into what kind of events make up that AHI.

I don't know that you urgently need to change your minimum pressure at least from the AHI perspective as it is well within acceptable limits as it is now but the changing pressures going from 5 to 10 all night could be a disruptive factor to your overall sleep and that can make a person not feel so great despite the low AHI.

The data from the Escape Auto is very limited. It is fine as long as a person doesn't have any issues and feels great but there's not much to help a person isolate potential problems should they not feel so great.
You have no idea if leaks are a problem or not because your machine doesn't record leak data.

Your daily fatigue might be related to sleep apnea and might be related to something else...lots of things besides sleep apnea can cause fatigue.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.