"Pop" effect makes it hard to fall asleep

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Christine L

Re: "Pop" effect makes it hard to fall asleep

Post by Christine L » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:37 pm

palerider wrote:
Christine L wrote:What's an ab filter?
I wondered the same thing when I first saw the menu setting.

it's AntiBacterial, they're filters generally a bit smaller than a tennis ball that fit in the hose and filter out even more crud. archangle will be along shortly to tell you to ignore all the advice from people that sell then and that he thinks they're worthless and shouldn't be used for more than one night, no matter what the nice folks at cpap.com say.

he is of course, perfectly welcome to his opinion.
My husband told me to quit buying antibacterial soap. But it's hard to find.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:38 pm

Wulfman... wrote: This is what I was thinking of. But, I'm not that knowledgeable about the ResMed EPR and what it would feel like if it was suspended or timed out.
But, some of those other settings could be the culprits as well.
I initially suspected "water in the hose".

Event Detection Circuit
The Event Detection Circuit is a backup feature of the EPR algorithm. Changes in a patient's sleeping position or sleep stage (ie, REM sleep) may cause sudden, unpredictable events to occur without the typical preceding flow limitation or snoring. When such an event is detected, EPR immediately suspends, and the treatment pressure reverts to set CPAP. EPR remains suspended until the event concludes and normal breathing resumes.

EPR Timeout
If a patient's exhalation period exceeds 15 seconds, EPR immediately suspends. The treatment pressure reverts to set CPAP and remains suspended until the next inhalation phase is detected. EPR helps patients experience the highest level of comfort and benefit from their therapy.
I don't *think* that would do it, the epr suspension would just cause the pressure to ramp back up to the normal ipap level that he was getting on each breath, even if it does it quickly, the inertia of the turbine, though low in those machines couldn't actually create a pop... they're quick (able to do the 4hz FOT detection) but not that quick. ...

it's puzzling.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 29, 2014 8:41 pm

Christine L wrote:My husband told me to quit buying antibacterial soap. But it's hard to find.
I have to say I agree with him, best practices these days say not to use that. however, there is a difference, in that is trying to poison the bacteria and kill them, which, through evolution makes for stronger bacteria when some of the tougher ones survive and breed...

whereas, the ABFilter just *filters* out the bugs... presumably. I use it to help filter out more allergens and give my allergies a break for the night

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:14 pm

His mask is listed as the Swift™ FX Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear, and I don't think it has a valve in it. But if he is using a different mask with a valve, the popping can be the valve in the mask in it.

If I over breath, you can make the mask pop by shutting down the valve, when that happens during that exhale, air flow is cut off a bit. However, as soon as you breath in again and out if you are not pushing it, it normally will be fine unless the valve sticks. I've never had one stick, but I have heard of others having that happen.

If he is really using the Swift however, I don't think this could be it.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 29, 2014 10:23 pm

Krelvin wrote:His mask is listed as the Swift™ FX Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear, and I don't think it has a valve in it. But if he is using a different mask with a valve, the popping can be the valve in the mask in it.
I can make the anti-asphyxiation valve on my quattro 'pop' if I put my finger over the opening that it blocks when the machine is on, as soon as I take my finger off, it makes a little 'pop' sound, but it doesn't affect the airflow in any way, and I can't 'feel' it...

also can't make it do it by breathing, no matter how hard I do because there's always enough pressure in the mask to keep that closed when the machine's running... though, admittedly, I never tried it on a low pressure.

nasal and pillow masks don't have AA valves though.

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 29, 2014 11:29 pm

Krelvin wrote:His mask is listed as the Swift™ FX Nasal Pillow CPAP Mask with Headgear
Yes that is what is listed but when newbies are trying to find the right mask they often try them without changing their profile, so I asked to find out. But it appears he has no interest in helping himself only in bashing those who try to help him without all the info.

While water in the hose is the most common cause he may also think because he has a heated hose there is no water in and never bothered to check.

It appears to me he thinks there is some crystal ball we can use to solve his riddles. Mine has gone in for repair.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:06 am

Try everything to eliminate the various possibilities.

Take the water tank out, then take off the humidifier (not just the tank) and run without it. You'll need an unheated hose to do this, I think. You might be able to swap ends of the climateline if that's all you have. You could also just remove the water tank, and turn off the humidifier. S9 humidifiers usually work fine without the tank. If not, just empty the tank and turn the humidifier off.

Even if you don't run without it, take the water tank out and remove the humidifier from the blower unit and check everything carefully. Turn it on and let it run full blast without a hose for a few seconds. Look under the lid at the gasket, and at the connector on the back. Disassemble everything you can reasonably disassemble, check and reassemble. Disassemble and check the tank. With the tank out, and the humidifier connected, lift the lid and let the machine blow for a few seconds.

Disassemble and reassemble the mask. Try using it while just holding it to your nose without straps. See if you get any feel about where the pop is happening. Make sure the inner cones in the FX aren't inverted. There is an inner cone in each nostril on the FX. Put your finger over the vent holes and breathe that way for a short time, but you'll have to do that for a short time or CO2 will build up and you'll get short of breath.

Take out the filter on the back and check it. Run without it for a few minutes, but put it back fairly quickly.

Plug the end of the hose with your thumb, turn on the machine and listen for leaks.

Change masks and hoses if you can.

Stick the end of the hose in your mouth and breathe in and out of that and see if you get a pop.

Turn EPR off, and switch to CPAP mode.

While it's popping, take off the mask for a few seconds and let it blow full blast. Do the same thing with just disconnecting the hose from the mask. Try the same thing at the back of the humidifier.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

AlabamaAl

Post by AlabamaAl » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:26 am

This may sound crazy, but when I first started on my Bi pap I used the ramp feature. I would hear a "pop" when the machine achieved enough pressure to open the airway. This pop would wake me up. I never use the ramp anymore. Perhaps as low as the starting point is, you may be experiencing the same thing.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:14 am

pailrider wrote: I have to say I agree with him, best practices these days say not to use that. however, there is a difference, in that is trying to poison the bacteria and kill them, which, through evolution makes for stronger bacteria when some of the tougher ones survive and breed...
Soap by definition is a surfactant. A surfactant is a substance that reduces the surface tension of things it comes in direct contact with.

When soap comes in contact with bacteria cells, their surface tension is reduced so far that the cells explode = dead bacteria. This is a very effective method of killing bacteria. More effective than the commonly used antibacterial agents in soap - Triclosan, Triclocarban/Trichlorocarbamide and PCMX/Chloroxylenol.

Antibacterial agents will not kill all types of bacteria. Soap will.

And then there is the evolution factor you mentioned.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Sep 30, 2014 6:47 am

Maybe the "pop" is a large polyp in his breathing passage?
If another answer is not found, good idea to see the doc and rule that out.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:06 pm

I get one of those pops when my machine just starts up. The sound is coming from the anti-asphyxia valve on my Oracle mask. I suspect the flapper valve is sticking until the pressure builds up. I can't see any similar device on the swift fx mask though so that couldn't be the problem.

Unless ... Did you install an anti-asphyxia device from some other mask?

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 30, 2014 8:17 pm

JDS74 wrote: I can't see any similar device on the swift fx mask though so that couldn't be the problem.
That is the mask he has listed but who knows if that is the mask he is using?

Obviously he doesn't feel it is important enuff to share or he found his problem.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:05 pm

ChicagoGranny wrote:Soap by definition is a surfactant. A surfactant is a substance that reduces the surface tension of things it comes in direct contact with.

When soap comes in contact with bacteria cells, their surface tension is reduced so far that the cells explode = dead bacteria. This is a very effective method of killing bacteria. More effective than the commonly used antibacterial agents in soap - Triclosan, Triclocarban/Trichlorocarbamide and PCMX/Chloroxylenol.

Antibacterial agents will not kill all types of bacteria. Soap will.

And then there is the evolution factor you mentioned.
This is simply wrong.

Soap is a great thing. It's one of the best ways to get bacteria off you hands. However, soap isn't a magical 100% bacteria kill like you think. Bacteria can even live on a bar of soap. Its effectiveness varies widely depending on how well you use it.

Even the best soap washing doesn't kill or remove 100% of the bacteria from your hands or other surfaces.

"Soap and water don't kill germs; they work by mechanically removing them from your hands" - http://www.health.harvard.edu/newslette ... ood_health

I suspect that some forms of bacteria, especially those that form spores, are more resistant or totally resistant to the surfactant kill effect you mention.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.