Surgery

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Greg Riddle

Re: Surgery

Post by Greg Riddle » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:04 pm

musculus wrote:
Greg Riddle wrote:
musculus wrote:Why not try Afrin for two nights (allegra or other allergy pills before sleep; with CPAP as well) and see if you can have your energy back? If so, then you are very sure the nose is the bottleneck of your airway.
I have tried afrin before I had surgery. It worked quite well and I did wake up the next day tested and full of energy. My issue more is the rebound from it. I don't want to enlarge the turbineate an more than the already naturally do. The rebound from the nasal spray is really bad. But it does prove that. Most of my problem it's in the nasal passages behind my nose
Then the option is limited if you don't want to pursue another turbinate reduction. I had turbinate reduction (the third one, had septoplasty as well) just 40 days ago and felt great for 3 days and then went back to normal. My ENT said he would trim the turbinate bone only, not the soft tissues. I am not allergic to anything but just have a narrow nasal passage. I do have a surgery (MMA) coming that will require an expansion of the palate which will enlarge the nasal airway volume. Hopefully that will address the nasal obstruction.

Do you have sinus CT done before or after your surgery? It will show clearly where the bottleneck is.
The ct may be something done before I have surgery again if that's the route I take

Nick Danger

Post by Nick Danger » Tue Sep 30, 2014 12:40 pm

I've had most of the surgeries (not the maxillomandibular advancement, though - while that has the highest probability of success of all the surgeries, it is truly gruesome to recover from).

I had a septoplasty - worked great! I had a similar experience as yours - went from hardly ever breathing through my nose to almost always breathing through my nose. I would encourage anyone with problems due to a deviated septum to get that surgery. Recovery was easy other than the experience of having the packing in my nose for a couple of weeks.

I had a UPPP - didn't work at all. Recovery from this surgery was the most pain I have ever felt in my life. Was off work for a bit over 2 weeks and slept in a recliner during that period. I wouldn't recommend this - I had no side effects from the surgery, but some have had problems. It did reduce the volume of my snoring from "jet engine" loud to "normal speech" loud.

I had genioglossal advancement and hyoid advancement - reduced my CPAP pressure by 4 (from 13 to 9), OSA symptoms were still severe following recovery (AHI = 79). Recovery was no fun, but not nearly as bad as UPPP. Only side effect is that the nerve to my front lower teeth is dead - so that part of my mouth is numb - was a real annoyance for a couple of months, now I don't noticed it unless I'm at the dentist. Was off work for about a week (grew a beard to cover the facial bruising). I might recommend this one if the tongue is the cause of your OSA and you can't tolerate the pressure of your CPAP - just be aware that it has a low "cure" rate.

I had the surgeries for the same reason you are considering them - I didn't want to be on CPAP for the rest of my life. My surgeon was highly confident that the surgeries would be successful, because I was such an "excellent candidate" for the surgeries (I later, somewhat cynically, concluded that I had been an excellent candidate because I had excellent insurance). The upshot is that the only success related to the latter two surgeries was my surgeon's successful purchase of a new yacht.

Greg Riddle

Post by Greg Riddle » Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:55 pm

The ent I went to did make it a point that he would not do the surgeries unless I tried to make cpap work first. He may actually have my interest in mind and not his wallet

Luthie2006

Post by Luthie2006 » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:08 pm

Surgeries, as we all know, are permanent and has risks. CPAP, there are really no risks to it. It may not work as well as we want, but not too many risks to it. I was told I had a deviated septum years ago and the ENT said to me, "Make an appointment with "my girl" for the surgery on the way out." This was back in the 1980s but since I am now 63 years old, I will not put myself through this. Please try everything first before surgery. My boss's son (who is 18) just had a septoplasty and he developed toxic shock syndrome even with antibiotics, from all the bloody packing. He recovered finally but was very ill.
For me, CPAP nasal pillows are the way to go. Again, this is my own opinion.

Redonthehead

Post by Redonthehead » Wed Oct 01, 2014 12:23 pm

I recently had septoplasty/turbinate reduction. It was a great success as far as I am concerned - mainly due to tossing the dang FFM into a drawer and using the P10. My doc made no claim it would "fix" OSA, but suggested since he reduced the lower back turbinates, I might be able to lower my xPAP pressure a notch. I haven't bothered to try yet.