What parts of Sleepyhead report should I turn off.

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jagzoo

Re: What parts of Sleepyhead report should I turn off.

Post by jagzoo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 11:22 am

I just downloaded the new Mac version of Sleepyhead: SleepyHead v0.9.8-0 (testing) and there are 2 things I can't find.

I must be missing something, but for the life of me, I can't find the old preference for turning off unwanted graphs. One is, how to turn off graphs in daily view that I don't want (like snore, tidal volume, AHI etc.). I tried clicking off (and then on) the different things under Events and waveforms but that doesn't seem to work. The other question is: I don't see the setting for type of mask used anymore. Do we just find the leak rate for our own mask and then set that in the "flag leaks over threshold" under CPAP? If so, do I set the intentional mask leak rate, or where the high total leak rate would be (Phillips machine)?

I think this version will be great when I figure it out!

Thanks Jedimark for all your hard work!!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:01 pm

jagzoo wrote:I don't see the setting for type of mask used anymore.
It was a useless feature in the past and didn't actually do anything. I think it was removed from the newer versions for this reason.
jagzoo wrote:Do we just find the leak rate for our own mask and then set that in the "flag leaks over threshold" under CPAP? If so, do I set the intentional mask leak rate, or where the high total leak rate would be (Phillips machine)?
You don't need to set anything. Your machine will flag Large leaks and show them in the events tab if you have any.
I don't know about the Mac version but SH seems to default the red line for large leaks to 24 L/min and that's for ResMed machines...useless for a Respironics machine. Your red line should be up around 80 to 90 L/min total leak...and the red line can be changed from 24 to whatever.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jagzoo

Post by jagzoo » Tue Sep 30, 2014 2:41 pm

Thanks Pugsy

raftergirl

Post by raftergirl » Tue Sep 30, 2014 4:44 pm

How do you move the leak redline? I use a PR machine and would like the leak thingie to be more realistic.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Sep 30, 2014 5:05 pm

raftergirl wrote:How do you move the leak redline? I use a PR machine and would like the leak thingie to be more realistic.
Preferences/CPAP tab...either remove the check mark or change the number to something else...here I have changed it to 90 L/min...see image below..be sure to apply the change for it to stick.

The PR System One machines don't have a set fixed number for everyone where Large leak territory begins. Instead the machine factors in your pressure used and some sort of beginning leak factor when you first start up the machine when we would assume there are no leaks going on except the expected vent rate. Then it makes it's calculations from that starting point.
Example...someone whose pressure is rather low and uses a nasal pillow mask (which has a relatively lower vent rate than a full face mask at the same pressure) will have a lower L/min value where large leak territory will begin than a person using a higher pressure. And of course if they are using auto adjusting pressures that Large leak value could move around because with more pressure the vent rate increases and thus the upper limits where the Large leak would be flagged would also move higher. It's hard to get a clear line in the sand for large leak territory with the PR S1 machines. I have seen leaks of 85 L/min (total leak) not get a flag and leaks of 90 L/min get a large leak flag so for me at my pressures with my mask...90 seems to be my red line area. I usually tell people that 80 to 90 L/min makes a good area that they want to start avoiding. I have seen one person with a large leak flag at 75 L/min...but that was with nasal pillows and a pressure of 5 cm and a 60 series machine.

It's not something that we can give an exact number like ResMed does (though to be honest I think there's more wiggle room in that number than gets let on) but we can get close. Respironics actually has a fairly generous leak allowance before therapy starts being impacted. Most people will be well below half of that 90 L/min mark unless they are using a full face mask at pressures in the upper teens and if that's the case...I bet 90 L/min isn't where their large leak territory begins either but I haven't seen enough reports from those users with large leak flags to get any sort of idea where it might be.

The PR S1 will flag a large leak though...so if it calls it...rest assured it's real. Encore has always shown it on the reports but SleepyHead didn't until recently. Most people don't/won't see many Large leak flags but if they do they should be able to figure out where their own line in the sand is with a little comparing of the various flagged leaks. It doesn't have to be perfect...just close enough to get a person's attention if they start going near it for prolonged periods of time. I don't worry about brief excursions into large leak territory myself...not the end of the world for there to be 5 or 10 minutes of big leak out of 7 or 8 hours of therapy unless the leak itself wakes a person up and then that's a different story but because it wakes a person up.
Any leak that disturbs sleep needs to be dealt with...even if it's a tiny leak but because it is messing with sleep and anything that messes with our sleep and wakes us up is unwanted and needs to be fixed.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

jedimark

Post by jedimark » Tue Sep 30, 2014 9:34 pm

Crud.. you just reminded me I forgot to remove that Leak Redline option from preferences
It's now set via upper/lower threshold values in Waveform preferences, and a toggle is in the title/y-axis right click menu to turn the Dotted Lines on/off.

In 0.9.8, you can even turn off the unintentional Leaks plot altogether from the right click menu, which might be a good idea until I fix up unintentional leaks a bit better.

My unintentional leak calculations definitely needs me to give it some more love. I reviewed this section of code last night, which I haven't looked at much in the past couple of years, and discovered some uglies and parts I left unfinished.. I had several "Who the heck wrote this code" moments - both good and bad ones.

It was code written during a late night fog-free Jimmy Neutron style "brain blast", using quite a good idea, but I think "foggy me" got to it too many times afterwards, and screwed up what "clever me" had in mind.

Then I got majorly side tracked fixing other things and forgot what state that code was in...

But anyway, now it's finally top of my list.

Additional Comments: CMS50D+/F Oximeter, S9 VPAP Auto/Adapt, PRS1 Auto, Intellipap Auto, SleepyHead :)
Author of the free, cross platform, open-source sleep tracking software SleepyHead.
Download http://sleepyhead.jedimark.net
Source Code http://gitlab.com/sleepyhead/sleepyhead-code