What is your ideal machine?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ontariomama

What is your ideal machine?

Post by ontariomama » Sun Sep 28, 2014 4:57 pm

Am casually looking around to get a new machine and keep my present machine as my travel machine. So, what machine would you ideally want to have as your primary machine?

jencat824

Re: What is your ideal machine?

Post by jencat824 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:02 pm

I personally love the machine I have a PR S1 560. I have the heated hose add-on too.

If I could have ANY machine I wanted, I think I would probably try the new ResMed AirSense 10 Autoset for Her (the for Her model has some additional features good for both men & women).

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:04 pm

"Most" people love the machine they have...or... they wouldn't have it

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 28, 2014 5:30 pm

ontariomama wrote:Am casually looking around to get a new machine and keep my present machine as my travel machine. So, what machine would you ideally want to have as your primary machine?
I prefer a machine which shows data on the LCD and one which software can be used to reveal detailed data. Both Respironics and Resmed have machines that have the detailed data and machines that don't. Since they all look alike you have to do your homework to understand which models are which.

For a travel machine, I prefer to have the same make (model) which I use at home, have everything that fits such as humidifier, filters, etc. (think spare parts), the software works on, and I don't have to think how to operate when I am traveling.

So I like to keep it simple and have both machines the same.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:08 pm

My ideal backup machine would be identical to my current one unless my current one didn't provide full data.
Then it would be the backup and my new one would.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:27 pm

ontariomama wrote:Am casually looking around to get a new machine and keep my present machine as my travel machine. So, what machine would you ideally want to have as your primary machine?
The ones I have listed in my profile. I realize they're not made anymore and are considered "outdated", but for me they do what they did when they were new......blow air and have data capabilities to tell me how my therapy is working.
And, they got cheaper the older they got.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

purple

Post by purple » Sun Sep 28, 2014 7:56 pm

What pressure are you using? Do you have any other issues? Asthma? High altitude? Since you are in Canada, I am guessing you have some cold weather, which is no humidity, and therefore, I think a heated hose would be nice.

I use a bi level machine. Like someone said, everyone likes the machine they have, or they would want something else.

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Sun Sep 28, 2014 8:35 pm

LOVE my S9 AutoSet™ CPAP Machine!!

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

TyroneShoes

Post by TyroneShoes » Mon Sep 29, 2014 6:57 pm

Guest wrote:...Both Respironics and Resmed have machines that have the detailed data and machines that don't. Since they all look alike you have to do your homework to understand which models are which...
Wouldn't it be nice if someone who had done the homework could just share that information with the rest of us.

It's probably hard to get meaningful answers from users about which machine is best, or even about which one they might prefer, as they only have anecdotal info on one machine, maybe two. No one here is capable of a Consumer Reports shootout. A BMW owner is probably going to suggest that everybody should buy a BMW. (but then that would also probably be the right answer.)

But if we're going to go to fantasy land, I think the ideal machine should be smart enough to constantly titrate you, constantly adjust pressures to the best efficacy, and adjust automatically to the perfect settings dependent on what feedback it gets from the user. IOW, it needs to be a robotic sleep doctor/servant, that concentrates 8/7 on a single patient's needs. We'll probably have to wait another 10 years for that, and for it to trickle down to the insured.

But then all the sleep techs would be out of work.

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:09 pm

TyroneShoes wrote:Wouldn't it be nice if someone who had done the homework could just share that information with the rest of us.
It is all out there and more here in this forum. You haven't given us anything to go on but I will say there is an "Advanced Search" feature at the top of each forum page. Below that are several announcements that will likely answer some or all of your questions and many, many opinions.

There is no wisdom pill to swallow - it is up to you.

Said another way....
Wulfman... wrote:Welcome to the forum.
As far as equipment goes, make sure you get a fully-data-capable machine.
Do lots of reading on this site and use the "Search" function above. There are really no "new" questions or topics with regard to this therapy which haven't been covered in the last 10 years. But, don't be afraid to ask.

Den

TyroneShoes

Post by TyroneShoes » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:30 pm

I know the hint was subtle, but you missed the point.

If you are the expert, "Guest", then help us.

I have spent the better part of my free time for a month trying to become educated, but it is a deep subject, and rather than sitting back while the rest of us reinvent the wheel, why not just share what you know? The idea is that this could help many of us leapfrog ahead and become more informed quicker, and healthier quicker. Otherwise we are all just playing Tiddlywinks with manhole covers.

The implication is that the rest of us are lazily sitting back on our hands, waiting for the knowledge to come to us automatically on a flaming pie, which could not be further from the truth. If you say my forum name out loud, and think about what you just said, you will then understand that I am all about personal responsibility. I have done lots of the due diligence you speak of, as have others. But the reward for that should be the sharing of what we learn, so we can all benefit. That is the very core of generational evolution (oh oh...now I said a controversial word). If breathing while asleep is important, why is it important if we are not willing to help each other? Why are we all even here still breathing?

Of course you are free to jealously protect your precious research if that suits you, but that seems somewhat at crosspurposes to the spirit of what this forum is here for.

Last edited by TyroneShoes on Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:35 pm

I also missed your question.
TyroneShoes wrote:I know the hint was subtle, but you missed the point.

I have spent the better part of my free time for a month trying to become educated, but it is a deep subject, and rather than sitting back while the rest of us reinvent the wheel, why not just share what you know? The idea is that this could help many of us leapfrog ahead and become more informed quicker, and healthier quicker. Otherwise we are all just playing Tiddlywinks with manhole covers.

The implication is that the rest of us are lazily sitting back on our hands, waiting for the knowledge to come to us automatically on a flaming pie, which could not be further from the truth. I have done lots of the due diligence you speak of, as have others. But the reward for that should be the sharing of what we learn, so we can all benefit. That is the very core of generational evolution (oh oh...now I said a controversial word). If breathing while asleep is important, why is it important if we are not willing to help each other? Why are we all even here still breathing?

Of course you are free to jealously protect your precious research if that suits you, but that seems somewhat at crosspurposes to the spirit of what this forum is here for.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:44 pm

TyroneShoes wrote:I know the hint was subtle, but you missed the point.

The implication is that the rest of us are lazily sitting back on our hands, waiting for the knowledge to come to us automatically on a flaming pie, which could not be further from the truth. I have done lots of the due diligence you speak of, as have others. But the reward for that should be the sharing of what we learn, so we can all benefit. That is the very core of generational evolution (oh oh...now I said a controversial word). If breathing while asleep is important, why is it important if we are not willing to help each other? Why are we all even here still breathing?

He/she is not trying to protect ANYTHING. He/she is trying to tell you that all of the answers you seek are already in the archives of this forum. You only have to do a little searching to find them.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:52 pm

TyroneShoes wrote:
Guest wrote:...Both Respironics and Resmed have machines that have the detailed data and machines that don't. Since they all look alike you have to do your homework to understand which models are which...
Wouldn't it be nice if someone who had done the homework could just share that information with the rest of us.
*whips out the silver platter*

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Pesser

Post by Pesser » Mon Sep 29, 2014 7:58 pm

palerider wrote:
TyroneShoes wrote:
*whips out the silver platter*
Isn't that a spoon?