Are All DME's Bad?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
tanerax

Are All DME's Bad?

Post by tanerax » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:42 pm

I have been on this forum for little under a month, and from everything I have seen, DME's are the devil and are out to get you. Are any DME's good? or are they just seeming good in order to screw us over lol

I have been dealing with a local DME, the same person since my sleep study and they have seemed nothing but accommadating and helpful. I am getting ready to move on from a cpap trial into getting my own and have had no problems getting an s9 and everything i have wanted from them no hassles or anything. Have I managed to find a reasonable DME....

LSAT

Re: Are All DME's Bad?

Post by LSAT » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:47 pm

I have a wonderful..local DME. I have never had a problem or concern.

old dude

Post by old dude » Mon Sep 22, 2014 3:54 pm

I've personally become convinced that a lot has to do with the person at the DME you work with, and his or her willingness to help you. Beyond that, they're all in business to make money and anything they don't spend on you goes right to their bottom line.

Also, you can't forget about the *stupid* factor. I dropped in my DME without notice recently to swap out a mask cushion that was clearly bad from the factory. It put the entire place in a tizzy because I hadn't made an appointment a week earlier with one of their RTs. Finally the GM trotted out and I described to her the problem, telling her that I had washed the cushion daily like always but the problem persisted. She exclaimed, "There's the trouble-you aren't supposed to wash the silicone part, only the frame!" Knowing that you can't fix stupid, I didn't even try.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Mon Sep 22, 2014 4:09 pm

My recent experience was so far okay. There was an issue with the copay which I am still dealing with, but I can't say it was them yet. could simply be a mis-communication with the Insurance company on it. I will know for sure in a few days when the paperwork hits the system.

The machine was pre-scripted by the Dr for what I wanted and that's what I got. The machine was brand new and still had protective film on it in some places they guy missed taking off when I got home, the person I worked with spent a lot of time with me trying several different masks and they are literally 2200ft from the house so they are easy to get to.

The other option was Crapira and I already knew what that was like.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

reevesfarm

Post by reevesfarm » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:35 pm

I am new to this but mine is AMAZING! My nasal mask was driving me crazy and I dropped in today to see about maybe getting a full face mask- I must have tried on a dozen before I found one that worked...never got the feeling that she was annoyed and she never tried to hurry me. Said to come right back if I don't like it...that she really wants me to be comfortable.

Hope I always get to use them....

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 22, 2014 6:54 pm

tanerax wrote:I have been on this forum for little under a month, and from everything I have seen, DME's are the devil and are out to get you. Are any DME's good? or are they just seeming good in order to screw us over lol

I have been dealing with a local DME, the same person since my sleep study and they have seemed nothing but accommadating and helpful. I am getting ready to move on from a cpap trial into getting my own and have had no problems getting an s9 and everything i have wanted from them no hassles or anything. Have I managed to find a reasonable DME....
w/o a definition of "bad" I will say they are a necessary evil, well for insurance they are necessary and they know it. I will also say they all lie.

If you found a good one - great for you - tell the world who it is and where they are. Everyone wants and deserves a Good DME.

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:05 pm

Some are OK.

Even if you think they're all bad, some are much worse than others, so it's still important to shop around.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

tyroneshoes2

Post by tyroneshoes2 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:16 pm

I am not sure how shopping around is an option.

My ENT asked me if I snore, after examining my overly-small airway for a different issue. I said yes, and I am immediately on a conveyor belt to the DME he is in cahoots with.

Now that's all good, but "conveyor belt" is the operative phrase here, because that is what it feels like; like I have no say in whatever direction anything goes.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:20 pm

tyroneshoes2 wrote:I am not sure how shopping around is an option.

My ENT asked me if I snore, after examining my overly-small airway for a different issue. I said yes, and I am immediately on a conveyor belt to the DME he is in cahoots with.

Now that's all good, but "conveyor belt" is the operative phrase here, because that is what it feels like; like I have no say in whatever direction anything goes.
Of course you have a say.....I wouldn't go without a sleep study...then...if you are diagnosed with OSA, call your insurance and see what DMEs are in their network.

Post by Guest » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:24 pm

tyroneshoes2 wrote:I am not sure how shopping around is an option.

Well that really depends on your insurance and how assertive you are. Call you insurance to find out if any other DMEs are "In Network" for you. Then you need to know what it is you want and ask (or demand) it.

Otherwise the "conveyor belt" may be your best option.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:34 pm

My first three were losers, I simply left without a scene.
My current one is a keeper, at least for now, as changes in the industry may force him into a corner, but I hope not.
Edit: I will always use cpap.com for anything I can't get from Medicare.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:06 pm, edited 1 time in total.

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:56 pm

tyroneshoes2 wrote: Image

Baaaaaa....

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

Semily

Post by Semily » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:15 pm

One thing I am finding with my experience so far is that so many people in the entire industry are so accustomed to following one set of procedures that they don't know how to think outside of that. I have repeatedly had people try to argue with me about what my insurance will cover - without ever actually contacting my insurance company. They all seem to be going by a standard schedule of what and when insurance companies will *usually* cover, and they don't want to believe that mine is different.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:47 pm

Are All DME's Bad?

No, they just smell that way.

I don't know, I've never used a local brick & mortar DME. Everything I've acquired has basically been from online sellers (like CPAP.COM) or forum members (and from sellers on CPAPAuction.com when it was still in existence).
Have never had a problem with the online sellers. That's my preference.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

tortoisegirl

Post by tortoisegirl » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:50 pm

Agreed with the they are used to one set way of doing things, especially with insurance schedules. They have tried to tell me my insurance will only cover X, Y, and Z without looking up my info, which says my DME is covered as medically necessary (which is basically in any amount that isn't excessive). I've had a mix of good & bad with my DME. My doctor said they were the best she had dealt with, but if I had problems to call her office and they would take care of it. I have 80% DME coverage, my insurance's negotiated amounts are quite close to online prices, and they won't reimburse for items bought online, so it doesn't make sense for me to buy anything online that they will cover unfortunately.

Thankfully where it really counted it went well:
- Got a S9 Autoset with heated humidifier & hose automatically
- Was able to try on multiple masks
- They have an automated ordering system for supplies which knows what you are eligible for, and the supplies are sent to my house without shipping charges

I wish things would have gone smoother with:
- information before my initial appointment (even though I called daily no one would tell me what the holdup was with my insurance and why it was taking weeks for approval, what I was getting, what I would owe / what my insurance would cover, what types of masks they would have to try, or even who to talk to for info...everyone said they didn't have my file in front of them and didn't know who had it lol)
- the techs at the satellite offices (of the three I've seen, only the one at the large main office was competent)
- their mask exchange policy for folks whose insurance doesn't have a mask quantity policy (I wasn't allowed any free swaps as my insurance would approve claims for other masks)
- their mask stock at the satellite offices (they didn't have the Quattro FX or any other FFM without a forehead support for me to try, although this was before the F10)
- billing speed (still haven't got my bill for my CPAP setup from early May)