Are All DME's Bad?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Duffy08

Re: Are All DME's Bad?

Post by Duffy08 » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:05 pm

I have to say, I was really surprised to read all of the bad experiences with Apria. My husband has used Apria for years, and we've never had a problem. Then again, although he uses his machine religiously, he hasn't been back to the sleep doc since he was diagnosed back in 2002. In fact, he is still using his original machine--talk about a brick!!! (Don't worry, he is going in on Thursday to re-establish care.) So other than getting replacement masks/hoses/filters, etc. he hasn't had to deal with Apria much.

I was THRILLED with my experience with the DME (referred to as HME through my provider.) The RT that I met with was fantastic. She spent a lot of time making sure that she understood my needs and preferences and she helped me choose the best equipment for me. I had done a lot of reading here and on cpap.com prior to my appointment, so I already knew which machine I wanted. This was helpful as well.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:37 pm

tyroneshoes2 wrote: "conveyor belt" is the operative phrase here, because that is what it feels like; like I have no say in whatever direction anything goes.
heaven forbid you should step off that conveyor belt and go "wait a goddamn minute here"

just be compliant...

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 23, 2014 4:09 am

Duffy08 wrote:In fact, he is still using his original machine--talk about a brick!!!
How can a DME be bad if you just accept the inferior equipment they want to give you? It is when you ask for better equipment that the problems develop.

Another note on "conveyor belt" treatment - this is a clue that you have been introduced to a "Money Mill" meaning both the doc and DME have no interest in your therapy just how much money they can/will make while providing you with substandard equipment. Their only interest is that you use the machine (hours of use) so they can get paid by your insurance. Think "Slumlord".

Duffy08

Post by Duffy08 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:28 am

Guest wrote:
Duffy08 wrote:In fact, he is still using his original machine--talk about a brick!!!
How can a DME be bad if you just accept the inferior equipment they want to give you? It is when you ask for better equipment that the problems develop.

Another note on "conveyor belt" treatment - this is a clue that you have been introduced to a "Money Mill" meaning both the doc and DME have no interest in your therapy just how much money they can/will make while providing you with substandard equipment. Their only interest is that you use the machine (hours of use) so they can get paid by your insurance. Think "Slumlord".
I don't think that his machine was inferior at the time that he got it, but it certainly is now. I was just saying, that in the capacity that we dealt with Apria, we never had any issues. I totally understand that our "good" experience with them is likely due to the fact that he hasn't made any changes to his original treatment, and that if he'd requested changes, he would have run into issues.

At any rate, he goes in Thursday and within the next week or so, will be getting new equipment. He won't be dealing with Apria anymore since our DME is through our medical provider.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:38 am

Semily wrote:One thing I am finding with my experience so far is that so many people in the entire industry are so accustomed to following one set of procedures that they don't know how to think outside of that. I have repeatedly had people try to argue with me about what my insurance will cover - without ever actually contacting my insurance company. They all seem to be going by a standard schedule of what and when insurance companies will *usually* cover, and they don't want to believe that mine is different.
I actually had a conference call with my insurance, in the DME's office.
This can be done, and works wonders with a stubborn poopyhead.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:19 am

Duffy08 wrote:He won't be dealing with Apria anymore since our DME is through our medical provider.
That sounds like the "conveyor belt" and Money Mill setup mentioned earlier.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:26 am

If the provider is an HMO, I suspect that is SOP.
One reason why I avoid them like the plague!

Duffy08

Post by Duffy08 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:38 am

Guest wrote:
Duffy08 wrote:He won't be dealing with Apria anymore since our DME is through our medical provider.
That sounds like the "conveyor belt" and Money Mill setup mentioned earlier.
Maybe, but as I mentioned before, I was very happy with my experience when I got my machine and mask. The RT took a lot of time to make sure she understood my needs, and I was able to get the machine that I wanted, along with the mask and headgear that felt the best to me. I have no complaints (at this time) about my DME.

webbie73

Post by webbie73 » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:08 am

If you are a round peg in a round hole everything is OK.
My DME just couldn't understand I was 100% covered. Every time I went to pick up equipment they would insist I pay a copayment. Which I refused to do. Sure enough they get payed 100% yet they still insist every time I go in that I pay a copayment Once they wanted to call the insurance company and question why they were paying 100%!

When I was a new cpap user they were very good helping me find a mask. Within the last 6 months they have been horrible because I ask questions and bucked their system. I am not a newbie to cpap and I refused the modem on my new resmed s9 autoset machine. The RT even hung up on me. I was paying out of pocket so the insurance company didn't need me to be compliant. I didn't have to prove I use my machine. Using the SD card is just fine for my doctor. BTW I am 100% compliant.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:45 am

Apria wanted my cc#, so I left them, expressing respect for the dedication of the local personnel,
but disgust with "the company's" outrageous demands.

Paralel

Post by Paralel » Tue Sep 23, 2014 5:46 pm

My DME, Airway Oxygen, couldn't be better if they tried with their service. They give me exactly what I ask for, no questions or suggestions of inferior merchandise, if I have a question they are always able to answer it honestly and correctly, they ship to me at no cost if I can't stop by to pick something up, they know my insurance inside and out and have never asked for anything other than my insurance information. I've never been billed inappropriately, overcharged, or anything like that. I am sorry so many people have so many bad experiences with DME's. I was honestly on guard when I went in for the first time but was surprised that Airway wasn't the horror show I was expecting to walk in to.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Tue Sep 23, 2014 7:29 pm

The key is to educate yourself, know exactly what you want when you walk in, and don't leave with anything less.
Take this brick now and we will fix it later is not a good strategy. Later may be in 5. Years when you are eligible for your next new machine.

library lady

Post by library lady » Tue Sep 23, 2014 8:06 pm

I was given a list of local DMEs by my sleep doctor at Mayo Clinic - 6 companies... I knew nothing about any of them, hadn't found this forum yet. I decided to use the CPAP Store within Mayo Clinic.. .it has no affiliation with other DMEs, and they've done very well for me. They do mail order for people who live far away and have a catalog. I noticed in the catalog that they carry only the machines with full data efficacy. No getting a brick here unless you ask for one!

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

cathyf

Post by cathyf » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:00 pm

I have a brand-new diagnosis and am still trying to get through the maze to get my machine. It's been a bit of a cluster -- several tries with the insurance company to find two DMEs in network. (They have data entry errors in their database so one DME didn't actually exist, and the other one is having a big fight with the ins co and won't take their patients.) So I found that the town I work in has two in-network DMEs, and one flat out told me that they wouldn't get me an A10 because the reimbursement wasn't enough to make it worth their while.

So at lunch time today I got a call from the other DME's RT, all excited. She said that they had a meeting with their ResMed sales rep yesterday, and they think that the A10 is going to be a great machine for their patients, and when she got my prescription this morning she was excited to get going. There is a little bump -- the A10 without the "for her" option was already ordered and should be here in about a week, but the one with the "for her" option is on back order and will be at least a month. I decided to go without the "for her" option to get it sooner... But, anyway, she is expecting that they will go for the A10 as their standard go-to APAP.

With me, the wrinkle is that my insurance is a self-insured plan that uses the CIGNA network, but they pay according to their plan. Which is better than the CIGNA plans. So the DMEs who told me to get lost when they heard "CIGNA" and realized that I knew the difference between efficacy data and a brick and thought I was going to cost them money missed out on the opportunity -- my insurance company is really good about paying bills fast and accurately and my coverage is good.

anomie

Post by anomie » Wed Sep 24, 2014 3:42 pm

tanerax wrote:I have been on this forum for little under a month, and from everything I have seen, DME's are the devil and are out to get you. Are any DME's good? or are they just seeming good in order to screw us over lol
I suspect (but can't prove, not enough data) that there may be a selection bias effect going on.

In other words, people who have issues with their DME may be more likely to end up as a user on discussion board such as this than someone who doesn't have any issues with their DME. Which would, if true, tend to result in there being more things said about bad DME's than good ones.

Which, of course, is not to say that people shouldn't look out to make sure their DME is a good one. I don't know about mine yet, I haven't had any problems, and I haven't had any issues that would cause me to need to post about anything yet, which is why this is my first post ... (I lurked for a while before I made an account, but then after I had the account ... I didn't really have anything to say ) but I've only been on the machine a week, so...