3 month mask eligible, can i get pillows too?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Pugsy

Re: 3 month mask eligible, can i get pillows too?

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:14 am

palerider wrote: I have to admit to wondering what kind of crazyness that was... *lol*

reading through the thread, I think I'll try it hehe
You know if the pillows or cushions are just going into the trash anyway I figured what the heck, give it a try.
Of course never, ever do this with your one and only of anything. Always have a spare on hand in case disaster happens.
First time I tried it with tap water the pillows came out looking worse than when they went in the bath. I thought "gee, that didn't help things at all" and set aside those now really ugly nasal pillows (I don't toss anything until I am convinced it will never work) and then one day when I was reading that someone else had done the boiling baking soda trick but they had used distilled water a little light bulb went off in my head..hmmm...so tried it again with distilled water for both the boiling and final rinse and I was totally blown away with how clear they were. Looked like brand new and felt that way too.

I normally have way more "spares" than I need. Must be the hoarder in me

But if someone was going to trash can the cushions or nasal pillows....hey, wouldn't cost anything but a little time and distilled water, which I always have plenty of anyway, and try it just to see if it helped things out a little.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 22, 2014 9:25 am

At the 3 month mark, you may not be able to get headgear; but if you can get them to sell you this:
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... y-kit.html
then you can buy the headgear from our hosts for only $25.
(to avoid shipping charges, I add enough other stuff to make $99 or more)

Tino2You

Post by Tino2You » Mon Sep 22, 2014 10:40 am

Pugsy wrote:
<snip>

Sometimes when one starts getting tired and leaky I am tempted to toss it but I will think "maybe one last really good cleaning" and try it and low and behold the next night it won't be leaky anymore so it stay in use for more time. My nasal pillows have all had more than one "last really good cleaning".
I've even taken to cleaning them and putting them in the box for a bit while I swap in another pillow for a week or so. Nothing like a week in solitary to put the life back into a used pillow

Thoughts here are my own and any semblance to reality is a miracle.

-tino

Additional Comments: Autoset Pressure 9-15.6, EPR 1, no ramp
Tino

IreneN

Post by IreneN » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:32 am

palerider wrote:
you might get a large and try that. even though they aren't supplied in the 'for her' p10 version, the mask frame is the same and all pillow sizes fit all masks. some ladies like the larger pillow size.
Already tried the large. Bought a "not for her" mask from Amazon that had them in it. The large is really LARGE...I could barely fit them in my nostrils without folding! Good suggestion tho. I was originally fitted with the small, and went to the medium on my own.

IreneN

Post by IreneN » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:36 am

Pugsy wrote:
palerider wrote: I have to admit to wondering what kind of crazyness that was... *lol*

reading through the thread, I think I'll try it hehe
You know if the pillows or cushions are just going into the trash anyway I figured what the heck, give it a try.
Of course never, ever do this with your one and only of anything. Always have a spare on hand in case disaster happens.
First time I tried it with tap water the pillows came out looking worse than when they went in the bath. I thought "gee, that didn't help things at all" and set aside those now really ugly nasal pillows (I don't toss anything until I am convinced it will never work) and then one day when I was reading that someone else had done the boiling baking soda trick but they had used distilled water a little light bulb went off in my head..hmmm...so tried it again with distilled water for both the boiling and final rinse and I was totally blown away with how clear they were. Looked like brand new and felt that way too.

I normally have way more "spares" than I need. Must be the hoarder in me

But if someone was going to trash can the cushions or nasal pillows....hey, wouldn't cost anything but a little time and distilled water, which I always have plenty of anyway, and try it just to see if it helped things out a little.
Yes, hoarder that I am, I still have all the old pillows too... Definitely worth a try.

IreneN

Post by IreneN » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:40 am

chunkyfrog wrote:At the 3 month mark, you may not be able to get headgear; but if you can get them to sell you this:
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/resmed ... y-kit.html
then you can buy the headgear from our hosts for only $25.
(to avoid shipping charges, I add enough other stuff to make $99 or more)
As it happens, I have all the bits, so even if I don't get a headgear, I'm good. I do the stockpiling to get to the $99 mark as well!

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 23, 2014 10:42 am

IreneN wrote:The large is really LARGE...I could barely fit them in my nostrils without folding!
Pillows seal against the nares. They do not (should not) go IN the nostrils.

IreneN

Post by IreneN » Tue Sep 23, 2014 11:23 am

Guest wrote:
IreneN wrote:The large is really LARGE...I could barely fit them in my nostrils without folding!
Pillows seal against the nares. They do not (should not) go IN the nostrils.
Well, the top part with the opening does. I didn't mean I was trying to shove the whole pillow up there!!! I do understand how the pillows work.