New Cpap Pillow from SleepGuy

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
glarnold

New Cpap Pillow from SleepGuy

Post by glarnold » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:30 pm

A few weeks ago, SleepGuy, a regular here, offered some free products, for anyone who wanted to try them. I was able to get and try one of his new buckwheat hull Cpap pillows. I volunteered for this because I've tried nearly every pillow out there and have spent lots of money to get what I considered the best results. I was skeptical, because the one I'd been using for three years, was the best I had found, and recommended in several posts, for FFM users.

Well, I now have a new recommendation. This Pur-Sleep pillow, for me, was even better.

My off the top of my head appraisal is that it's like an infinitely variable, infinitely adjustable foam pillow that you can make into any shape you like. Want more neck support? Rearrange the beads with your hand. Want some cutouts on the ends? Hit the end with your hand, and the cutout is there. The big difference between this and the foam pillow I've been using, is that this doesn't compress like foam and lose its support.

For the 7 days before its arrival, my AHI averaged 1.76
In the 8 days since its arrival, my AHI has averaged 1.27

I highly recommend it. And the fact that is was free was even better.

Sheriff Buford

Re: New Cpap Pillow from SleepGuy

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:36 pm

This pillow has gotten my attention!

Sheriff

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sat Sep 20, 2014 12:41 pm

I have been using this pillow (the formerly called Regenisis) for coming on 5 years now. I have always said even if I didn't use a cpap machine I would use this pillow. Not long ago I got one of the new designs and I love it too.
I have a bad neck. No way around it and I have to have just the right support for my neck or I get neck headaches that are pretty bad.

People wonder about the "noise" from the buckwheat hulls. Never has been an issue for me because once I get the pillow situated for whatever my sleeping position is then the hulls don't move and what little "noise" they might make with movement simply doesn't happen.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:18 pm

I also have been using the Regenisis pillow for almost 3 years. I started with the smaller pillow and then it was "stolen" by my daughter who had neck problems. I am now using the larger pillow which I would not trade for anything.

jootee

Post by jootee » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:22 pm

I received one of these pillows to try also a couple of days ago. I wanted to give it a few days trial before I made any decisions. I also have tried many pillows with my cpap and the best one at that point was a water pillow and that still wasn't ideal. I had heard one person mention a buckwheat pillow and couldn't find one anywhere (Im in Canada) and would need to order one online. I didn't want to waste more money on something that didn't work so I figured forget it. Then SleepGuy made the generous offer to be part of his trial. I really liked that there was the addition of the extra hulls to add so you can adjust to personalize it. The first thing that I noticed different is that every other pillow I have ever used too a few days to adjust and had some neck pain as part of the adjustment period. I never had that with this pillow. I woke the next morning feeling great - no adjustment period required. Another thing is I usually get hot, but this pillow doesn't make me warm and sweat on my pillowcase. the best part is you can make this pillow any shape you want and it stays that way until you decide to reshape it with you hands. You can mold it to stay off you mask and it stays that was - all night! I will not give up this pillow for anything and I hope SleepGuy will still ship to Canada because I want to buy one for my Dad for Christmas and one for my trailer. I guess you know how good this pillow is SleepGuy - I will be very surprised if anyone has anything bad to say about and if they do I would be happy to take it off their hands!

moz

Post by moz » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:29 pm

Don't mean to hijack the thread - since you mentioning sleep guy - gotta weigh in.

He sent me one of his aromatics ( clear ) . My AHI is consistently around 2.5 and I awaken often after 3:00.

First nite on the " clear" aromatic - AHI dropped to 2.0. For the last five days,straight, my AHI is under 0.5 -- yes .. Zero.Five ! My 3:00 awakening is now " muted" in that I wake and roll over back to sleep.

Sleep guy is " The Guy "

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:08 pm

Ok... I'm in... gonna' get this pillar

Sheriff

jencat824

Post by jencat824 » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:28 pm

I think I'm gonna try the pillow too. I was afraid to because of my neck, but I think I'm convinced. I was also considering the water pillow, but I think this new buck wheat version will be next. I say next because I never actually have found the 'perfect' pillow. Am currently using a 'square-D' but these flatten, then neck pain returns, then the hunt for another pillow. For me its a vicious cycle. Fingers crossed.

Jen

Other masks I've tried: *=liked, #= no way
Piliaro, SleepWeaver Elan*, Swift FX w&w/o Bella Loops#, OpitLife#,Simplicity*, Mirage Vista*, Go Life for Her#, IQ (original hg only)*, Quattro FX (barely)###, Wisp*, Nuance#, Swift LT for her**

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:39 pm

I tried a cheapie buckwheat pillow long ago, and it was so noisy I returned it to the store (Walgreen's).
The Regenesis pillow is a huge improvement with a mixture of shredded foam and buckwheat hulls,
--hushing up the crackle almost completely. Once formed, the Regenesis holds its shape all night,
and stays firm. Having a short neck, I still need to tweak the fill, (remove some filling) until my head
rests at the right height. I'm used to a soft pillow, so the firm pillow was a bit different.
The zipper is genius, but if it had been on the end instead of along the thin, long side,
I could have tried it with that side next to my neck, as the wide side is a bit tall for me.
I would suggest maybe a trapezoid cross section rather than a triangle to accommodate those of us with short necks.
(unless the pillow is made in sizes)

SleepGuy

Post by SleepGuy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:54 am

chunkyfrog wrote:The zipper is genius, but if it had been on the end instead of along the thin, long side,
I could have tried it with that side next to my neck, as the wide side is a bit tall for me.
I would suggest maybe a trapezoid cross section rather than a triangle to accommodate those of us with short necks.
(unless the pillow is made in sizes)
chunkyfrog, sounds like you need to get a copy of the original version of the pillow. The gusset is 4" and it's a rectangle box shape with a small zipper on the side. I can get you one at cost. PM me.

As for sleeping on the thin end, what about trying a thick-ish pillow case? I don't think the zipper is that big of deal...but ideas are appreciated. We tried many different ways to do the zipper....and the top is best. But sleeping on it--I'd like some feedback on that score.

SleepGuy

Post by SleepGuy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:56 am

jencat824 wrote:I think I'm gonna try the pillow too. I was afraid to because of my neck, but I think I'm convinced. I was also considering the water pillow, but I think this new buck wheat version will be next. I say next because I never actually have found the 'perfect' pillow. Am currently using a 'square-D' but these flatten, then neck pain returns, then the hunt for another pillow. For me its a vicious cycle. Fingers crossed.

Jen
Email response sent. The trial is still open--I have some "new old stock" of the old pillow that I am using. If you are interested, contact me via email: bret@pur-sleep.com

SleepGuy

Post by SleepGuy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:57 am

Sheriff Buford wrote:This pillow has gotten my attention!

Sheriff
Hit me up if you want a test drive.

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Sun Sep 21, 2014 10:18 am

I think I'm the ideal person to have tested this new pillow from Pur-Sleep, first, because I use CPAP and, second, I sleep on both sides and my back (supine). Many CPAPers avoid the supine position… I don’t. Here's what I like about Sleepguy's new version of his classic buckwheat hull pillow:
For reference: http://pur-sleep.com/shop/form-fit-cpap-pillow.html

It is a bit heavy at 4-5 pounds compared to foam or feathers, however I soon enjoyed that extra weight because it's very stable on my sheets/bed and doesn't slide around when I turn over or move around. It stays put when I flip over onto my back (very important to me). Some foam pillows I've owned tended to migrate all over the place. This buckwheat hull pillow absolutely does not do that.

It's filled about two thirds full with a mix of shredded foam and buckwheat hulls, which are electro-statically cleaned to remove all dust - this is apparent when you put your hand into the inside of the pillow and shift thru the hulls. No dust is a nice touch.

The pillowcase is super thick and quilted with a beefy zipper that stays shut, even when the pillow moved around a lot. The thickness of the pillowcase helps in damping the slight rustling sounds when you move your head. Sleepguy, the creator, says that after a few months the buckwheat hulls polish up and the sound become minimal.

This pillow allows your head to stay much more on the surface, meaning your head doesn't sink down too far into the pillow... not at all like feather and some foam type pillows. This does two things: One, it helps keep your face from getting too warm and two, it prevents your CPAP mask from being dislodged. A great feature of the pillow, I've discovered, is that it's easy to use your hand or fist to create a hollow for your mask to fit in, especially if you like to side-sleep. As someone else mentioned, any shaping of the pillow is retained all night – I found this to be true. I was forever messing around with my old foam pillows.

The hulls are removable and every so often you can wash the pillowcase… be sure to save the heavy duty plastic bag the pillow is shipped in and it will hold all your pillow stuffing quite nicely. BTW, this pillow ships with a few extra pounds of hulls and foam in a separate plastic bag, also a nice touch for people who want to add more bulk to their pillow for a firmer feel.

There’s only one downside I can see regarding this pillow: Apparently CPAP.com doesn’t carry it online. What a shame the Goodmans are missing the boat on this one. I also have a few other Pur-Sleep products to test and will review them in a few days. EDIT: I forgot to add: This pillow does provide superior neck support and it stays that way all night long, both side-sleeping and supine. It's amazing it can do that.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

kjell

Post by kjell » Sun Sep 21, 2014 11:40 am

It seems interesting i have a regular pillow and it is not good for my mask .It want to slip so my mask leaks !
Kjell

SleepGuy

Post by SleepGuy » Sun Sep 21, 2014 12:10 pm

For anybody who has reviewed the pillow, it would be great if you would also post a review on the general Amazon SKU. As most people have mentioned, the pillow works great for CPAP but it's also just a great pillow for anybody.

Here's the general SKU:

http://www.amazon.com/Shapeable-Pur-Sle ... pap+pillow

####

I have had people contact me about the pillow trial. Here is what I am offering.

I have "new old stock" of the pillow that I am making available for review. This is the prior version of the pillow cut: a rectangular box with a 4" gusset and a smallish zipper on one of the sides. It's a fantastic product and until a few weeks ago people were paying $60 for it. The only reason I pulled it is that the new cut is even better.

The agreement is to provide meaningful feedback and a review on Amazon if you can give it at least 4 stars. If not, I would prefer you give me feedback until I can get the pillow working better for you.

I am not looking for flattery—I really want to know what you think and if you have issues then let me help address them. This will inform me as to design, instructions, marketing, etc. (how to help people who have similar issues).

I have several people in a feedback look where I am trying to improve it and make it work for them. This feedback loop has a lot of value for me--which is why I run these trials on cpaptalk. The people here are just awesome--knowledgeable, detailed, creative, thoughtful--just good people.

First, I want people who are qualified to provide me with meaningful feedback. Many just think the pillow is awesome and that's that. Others have issues / suggestions. And that's great, too. Legitimate people to me are the ones who have been on the forum and participate, but I will accept newbies if you can tell me a little about yourself and why you will be able to meet my expectations.

Second, I am now asking (most) people to pay $15 for shipping. I have had several people take a completely free pillow (including shipping) and then disappear. I will feel better about that risk if people are paying the shipping.

EXCEPTION to the foregoing: For very well-qualified applicants, I will cover shipping and may even give you a new pillow (the new cut) instead of the new old stock. Exceptionally well qualified people are those who are on the forum and who have high pillow IQ and especially people who have high CPAP pillow IQ. Send me a note and tell me why you are qualified and what you would like to do.

All messages should be sent to me at bret@pur-sleep.com so I can keep track--the pm system here isn't that great for that.