Be careful about filling out those sleepiness questionnaires

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: Be careful about filling out those sleepiness questionnaires

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:04 am

Is it appropriate to list a diagnosis you know to be incorrect or exaggerated,
as it was made by a nincompoop?

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:20 am

Zoocrew,

With a recent sleep doctor, I did disclose my psych med history but added my comments. Didn't make a bit of difference in his biases.

You're also forgetting that many doctors just zero in on the main points and don't read what the patient writes. At least that has been my experience and I have used various writing styles to see if that makes a difference. Unfortunately, it hasn't.
zoocrewphoto wrote:When I filled out my sleep questionnaire, it had several questions that would show that I have DSPS (severe night owl). It would also show that I work an evening shift. I knew this could bias the doctor as I had no interest in changing my sleep schedule.

So, I answered the questions honestly, but I added comments. For example, with the work schedule, I added the comment that this schedule was requested by me to fit my sleep schedule and not the other way around. I also wrote at the top of one page that I am here to treat my sleep apnea, not my DSPS.

The doctor did ask a few questions - confirmed that I have DSPS. He then told me that as long as it is working for me, he had no issues with it. Later when I wasn't getting a full 8 hours a night, he suggested longer sleep, but said it was up to me which end to add it to.

I know there were some other questions where I put sometimes, rare, or certain circumstances as they were not a common issue, but it wouldn't be correct to say no. For example, heartburn. I have never felt any pain or burning in my chest, but I do get bad burning sensations in my throat, which I refer to as heartburn. So, when I answer a question like that, I clarify it.
Last edited by 49er on Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:21 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Is it appropriate to list a diagnosis you know to be incorrect or exaggerated,
as it was made by a nincompoop?
CF,

Can you clarify as I have no idea what you are talking about.

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:42 am

Um, doctors always know what they are doing, and never let their prejudices color their work?

49er

Post by 49er » Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:46 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Um, doctors always know what they are doing, and never let their prejudices color their work?
Thanks, now I definitely understand and that is exactly my point in this thread.

49er

old dude

Post by old dude » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:07 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Um, doctors always know what they are doing, and never let their prejudices color their work?
Like my doctor wanting to know if I have any guns in the house.

I cannot imagine anything being of less importance to a doctor than the answer to such a question. I can only guess at the motive(s) behind such an intrusive question but it certainly has nothing to do with my medical treatment and most assuredly is answered as such.

library lady

Post by library lady » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:01 am

I think it's the total score on that sleepiness test that they look at, not the actual answers to individual questions.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

Sleepysuz

Post by Sleepysuz » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:27 am

Hey zoocrew
Bad burning in throat can be silent reflux. If you wake up with your throat a little scratchy or having to clear your throat it might not be your cpap, it might be acid. I thought it was my allergies that were giving me post nasal drip until the ENT figured it out. don't have heartburn but do take antacid for silent reflux when is when you lie down and the acid washes up your throat to your sinuses This can be very dangerous as it can give you esophageal cancer! Just google "silent reflux" It is very common He said 1/2 the kids that come to him with "allergies" really have reflux even toddlers.
Suz

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:29 am

library lady wrote:I think it's the total score on that sleepiness test that they look at, not the actual answers to individual questions.
Maybe, but I wouldn't bet the farm on it.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Sep 20, 2014 8:52 am

And you tell me just how a doctor is supposed to diagnose your problems when you withhold information because YOU, the layperson, think it is not important? Psych problems? They are a symptom of sleep deprivation too.

As someone who has done a lot of phone support I can't tell you the number of times I have heard "Oh that? I didn't think it was important to mention." Really? what do you think people pay big bucks for? So I can play guessing games? When I was doing massage I heard "Oh no I didn't mention it because you can figure it out" Like when I ask do you have any problems you say no even though you have major back and shoulder issues, because you think I should know this instinctively, because you think it is some sort of test? And then you bitch that it takes so long for the medical system to diagnose you? And that they don't trust you to take care of your own therapy? Do you think maybe they also are fed up with dealing with idiots?

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Paralel

Post by Paralel » Sat Sep 20, 2014 9:53 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Um, doctors always know what they are doing...
Amen to that. Hell. I told the ER Doc that it was a dissecting artery in my head and he still sent me home saying "I don't know what it is" because he didn't do the right work-up. Nothing like being handed the diagnosis on a silver platter and then being arrogant or ignorant enough to ignore it.

I would also say one should just answer honestly. If the doc seems to be inappropriately biased by a certain piece of information, find a new doc.

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Sat Sep 20, 2014 10:41 am

Filled out one of these questionnaires before my visit with the Sleep Dr a month or so ago.

Was actually kind of funny. For each response which would indicate sleep apnea, I answered yes, if I am not using my Xpap. In other words, they are not issues now, but would be if I stopped using my Xpap.

When I handed the sheet to the Dr... he glanced at it and handed it back. He didn't need it and made no copy. I have already been using Xpap for 8years and there was nothing there he needed as I already had a sleep study showing I had Sleep Apnea.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Sep 20, 2014 2:51 pm

There's a real problem with the nanny state idea, even if the motives are good and the justification sounds good.

Truck Driver A: I told my doctor that I was feeling sleepy and he reported me to the state and I had to get an expensive sleep test and now have to wear this darn mask or the government will take my license away.

Truck Driver B: Gee, I'm having trouble sleeping, find myself almost falling asleep at the wheel all the time, my wife says I snore like a chainsaw. I'd really like to get tested for sleep apnea, but I can't risk losing my job, so I'll lie about it to the doctor.

Truck Driver C: Here's how you cheat on the apnea test ....

----

Truck driver D: My darn doctor turned me over to the DMV because I was sleepy because my damn kid keeps me up all night. I had to spend all this money on a test and didn't have apnea after all. Now I've got to go fight the DMV over the paperwork, and pay for more doctor visits.

-----

Elderly retired person E: They took my driver's license away because of apnea and I couldn't use that darn machine.

Elderly retired person F: Well, I'm not going to tell my doctor about my problems staying awake at the wheel.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:46 pm

archangle wrote:There's a real problem with the nanny state idea, even if the motives are good and the justification sounds good.

Truck Driver A: I told my doctor that I was feeling sleepy and he reported me to the state and I had to get an expensive sleep test and now have to wear this darn mask or the government will take my license away.

Truck Driver B: Gee, I'm having trouble sleeping, find myself almost falling asleep at the wheel all the time, my wife says I snore like a chainsaw. I'd really like to get tested for sleep apnea, but I can't risk losing my job, so I'll lie about it to the doctor.

Truck Driver C: Here's how you cheat on the apnea test ....

----

Truck driver D: My darn doctor turned me over to the DMV because I was sleepy because my damn kid keeps me up all night. I had to spend all this money on a test and didn't have apnea after all. Now I've got to go fight the DMV over the paperwork, and pay for more doctor visits.

-----

Elderly retired person E: They took my driver's license away because of apnea and I couldn't use that darn machine.

Elderly retired person F: Well, I'm not going to tell my doctor about my problems staying awake at the wheel.
Yes yes we should just do away with licenses all together because ---- FREEDOM! They should all be allowed on the road - 13? you need to get to school. Drunk? well how is he getting home? Blind - he still needs to get to work. All those kids on the bus that got killed, those families wiped out - they should have known better then to be on the road or they should get one of those armoured trucks the government is handing out to schools. 33,561 deaths per year in the USA isn't that much anyway.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Paralel

Post by Paralel » Sat Sep 20, 2014 3:48 pm

For someone who drives commercially, I think it's appropriate to involve the DMV because of the amount of time spent on the road and the equipment being used, it makes it very dangerous for the average person on the road if said person has untreated apnea and is doing a long haul.

For private citizens, I'm not sure it's appropriate unless the doctor believes it is so severe that their driving is a danger to themselves or others, then in that case they should be required to be tested and monitored for compliance.

Remember, driving is a privilege, not a right. I'm extremely irritated I can't drive right now, but I respect my doctors clinical reasoning on why I shouldn't be driving, and accept that I am stuck being driven around by people for at least 6 weeks until my next appointment.