SleepyHead and BrokenGL, what's next, etc.. :)

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
jedimark

Post by jedimark » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:16 pm

Hi all,

I accidentally left a message worded too strongly in 0.9.6 build that has caused some confusion, and a lot of people seem to miss the "This version will run fine" part of the message.

About BrokenGL
Us programmers like to give things silly names.. BrokenGL is a play/protest on Qt cross platform library breaking OpenGL support on me, which forced me to redo a lot of graphing code in SleepyHead in a way I wasn't pleased with.

Both BrokenGL and OpenGL versions use OpenGL accelerated features of the graphics card.. BrokenGL does it in an slightly more boring, less optimal way in the code, but does it in a way that can work on older computers too.

BrokenGL name does not imply a broken or excessively degraded... it's just the compatibility version which runs everywhere. If the OpenGL version (which I did not create any binaries for 0.9.6) is run on an older computer without OpenGL 2.0 support, Qt doesn't give any warning, it just causes glitches and crashes, which is why I added the detection and warning messages. you didn't see the OpenGL version, because I did not feel it was necessary to release it for the 0.9.6 test build, as the BrokenGL version covered 100% of cases with a relatively minor performance hit.

BrokenGL is not just a windows thing.. Some older Linux and Mac computers without OpenGL 2.0 support also require a version created with this BrokenGL build flag set.

Please remember SleepyHead is still under development, and what you are seeing are only "test builds".. I'm working very hard towards an official release. Sometimes I write code before the rest is in place, which may not make sense to others, and I don't get around to having it make sense for some time, and I forget to write up something to explain it like this.. (It's quite hard for me writing for people to read..). This was one of those times, and I'm sorry if I got anyone confused by this. I could of changed the code, but in this case, I didn't want to be going backwards. The code was right, I just wasn't ready yet..

Getting ready for the upcoming release
I really do want to encourage people to upgrade to 0.9.6.. because upgrades will likely only work properly from 0.9.6, otherwise it would lead to some code spaghetti I don't want to maintain. (And if upgrading does go wrong from earlier versions, my standard answer is going to be, "start a fresh profile".)

So if your on an older version, you now have a very good reason to upgrade, because the next version is going to be awesome!

The new version WILL require a manual reimport for PRS1, ICON and Intellipap users... if you've lost SD card data and no backups of your own, there is nothing I can do about this, there have been *massive* amounts of rework in all importers since.. ResMed users are a little protected as SleepyHead has had an integrated backup system in place since 0.9.3. Starting with the next release ALL CPAP machines have an automatic backup system in sleepyhead.

A little information on the Upcoming Release
Anyway, now that's out of the way, I'm making very good progress with the upcoming release... Since 0.9.6 I've written thousands of lines of fresh clean code, and pruned thousands more doing clean ups and rewrites, A public beta will be available as soon as I finish my current work queue.. this may take another couple of weeks.. but I'm just letting you know how close I feel things are! (fingers crossed.)

It was going to be called 0.9.7, but I kinda had a lot of work to do, and well, a version number just got skipped to keep the release notes list sane.
I think your gonna love the next version of SleepyHead, it has gotten a *lot* more powerful, I'm sure those in the beta group can testify to this

I'll add another post here with some spoilers once I sort a few more things out..

Here are just some of the highlights from the upcoming version...
  • AirSense A10 support - I need is some data with CSR to finish it off properly.
  • Support for direct import from the new Contec CMS50F/I/H oximeters
  • Loads of pressure and session related bug fixes
  • Powerful "Line Cursor" mode in daily view... shows peak values as you move the mouse.
  • Powerful Y-Axis scaling modes, with overrides, accessed conveniently by a right click menu at the graphs title/yaxis area.
  • Easily selectable event flags for EVERY daily view graph
  • Overview charts have been redesigned with stacked barcharts, and much more clever autoscaling.
  • Graph Clone ability.. you can snapshot a graph and operate it independently, and event take it with you to another day for comparison purposes.
Anyway, back I go to tinkering.. I'll post some sneak peak screenshots later for anyone who's been missing out

Sleep Well,
Mark

Additional Comments: CMS50D+/F Oximeter, S9 VPAP Auto/Adapt, PRS1 Auto, Intellipap Auto, SleepyHead :)
Author of the free, cross platform, open-source sleep tracking software SleepyHead.
Download http://sleepyhead.jedimark.net
Source Code http://gitlab.com/sleepyhead/sleepyhead-code

chris677

Re: SleepyHead and BrokenGL, what's next, etc.. :)

Post by chris677 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:05 am

Hello

will leak be available for french resmed version ?

Thanks

jedimark

Post by jedimark » Wed Sep 17, 2014 12:14 am

chris677 wrote:Hello

will leak be available for french resmed version ?

Thanks
Yup.. this missing code has been added now.. Thank you for your data Chris

Additional Comments: CMS50D+/F Oximeter, S9 VPAP Auto/Adapt, PRS1 Auto, Intellipap Auto, SleepyHead :)
Author of the free, cross platform, open-source sleep tracking software SleepyHead.
Download http://sleepyhead.jedimark.net
Source Code http://gitlab.com/sleepyhead/sleepyhead-code

AlabamaAl

Post by AlabamaAl » Wed Sep 17, 2014 5:05 am

Thanks for all of your hard work, it has been of benefit to many of us. I have done some coding myself, and realize what kind of major undertaking a project of this scope can be.

PlinkerCraig

Post by PlinkerCraig » Sat Sep 20, 2014 4:55 pm

Thanks for the explanation of "BrokenGL". I'm happily using 0.9.6 on my new PC with no compatability issues.
And I kicked you some dollars in donation for you wonderful work on your SleepyHead project.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:07 pm

Thank you for including the CMS 50i.

palerider

Post by palerider » Sat Sep 20, 2014 7:44 pm

bwexler wrote:Thank you for including the CMS 50i.
as of friday, some support for the iw is added, specifically, you can import data via bluetooth, on linux.

though I haven't figured out why yet, it's *much* easier to import via usb *lol* plus, you have to plug it into usb to charge anyway!

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:16 pm

Hi Mark,

I have Sleepyhead 9.2. I try to download the new version without success I'm on Windows 7. If I ask Sleepyhead to find updates it does nothing, if I go to the link you have in the message there is free download manager opening then I get a download. If I try to run the sleepyhead file at the end of the list of files I have a message as the program can't start because there is missing Qt5core.dll in the computer.

Thanks.

Rosie

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:05 pm

rosacer wrote:Hi Mark,

I have Sleepyhead 9.2. I try to download the new version without success I'm on Windows 7. If I ask Sleepyhead to find updates it does nothing, if I go to the link you have in the message there is free download manager opening then I get a download. If I try to run the sleepyhead file at the end of the list of files I have a message as the program can't start because there is missing Qt5core.dll in the computer.

Thanks.

Rosie
Don't do the download manager.

What's the full path and filename of the .exe file you're trying to run. Right click and select "properties" to see what it is.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:21 pm

Archangle,

I don't do anything and the download manager opens by itself, I don't like it but I don't know how to get rid of that annoyance. I don't have any .exe file that is weird I cick on the icon sleepyhead (application) and I get the message.

Can I uninstall the download manager ? I don't like that thing !

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:22 pm

Rosie, have you unzipped the SleepyHead folder that you downloaded?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:32 pm

Hi Pugsy,

Yes I did, then I see sleepyhead icon, I run as administrator then I have a message as sleepyhead.exe is going to take control of my computer I answer yes, I see the sand clock for a couple of seconds and nothing happens after that.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:34 pm

Which version of SleepyHead did you recently download?
The one for Windows from this link?
http://sleepfiles.com/SH/

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

rosacer

Post by rosacer » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:50 pm

Pugsy,

No but I tried it just now and there is no help. Now it is really the worst. The crap download manager is not responding, I have a red little square on the line where sleepyhead is and when I click on it nothing happens. I will need to let it for now because I work early tomorrow, thanks a lot and I will try tomorrow evening again.

Wonderful sleep for you and nice dreams also

Rosie

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Sep 22, 2014 8:51 pm

rosacer wrote:Archangle,

I don't do anything and the download manager opens by itself, I don't like it but I don't know how to get rid of that annoyance. I don't have any .exe file that is weird I cick on the icon sleepyhead (application) and I get the message.

Can I uninstall the download manager ? I don't like that thing !
I never allowed my computer to be infested by that piece of junk in the first place, so I'm not sure. Does it open for other downloads or just sourceforge? If it's just on sourceforge, you may not have installed it, it may just be a popup on that site.

It might or might not be listed in the control panel for windows under the remove programs tab.

Malwarebytes.org is pretty good for removing crapware like that.

Using Firefox and noscript is a good way to keep crap like that from happening, but you do have to make some decisions whether to allow scripts to run to make some sites work.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.