I HATE THIS MACHINE!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
latc51

Re: I HATE THIS MACHINE!

Post by latc51 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:18 am

49er wrote:
latc51 wrote:I fully know I am taking if off. I dont even think about it. I wake up and that's it, it comes off. my sleep has never been so disreupted as it has been with this.
I have mild sleep apnea and this will cost me $169 per month to keep this thing. If I don't get a peaceful nights sleep soon, it goes back.
I went to bed without it one night and slept like a baby!!!
latc51,

Normally, I don't make this suggestion without telling someone to fully give pap therapy a chance to work. But if you are that uncomfortable with it at this point, you might want to click on the link in my signature profile for dental devices and take a look at this study.

For most mild ranges, they have a 75% chance of reducing the apnea index to 5 or below for adjustable appliance. You might find this option more tolerable although though I am not sure what your insurance coverage would be regarding this issue.

And if you have mild sleep apnea, was anything said in your sleep study about whether it was positional or not? Perhaps by sleeping on your side, you would be able to eliminate it. Have you discussed this with your sleep doctor?

Another option to look into is Provent which might work for you since it generally reduces the AHI by 50%.

Best of luck to you.

49er
I am a side sleeper and have always slept better on my side and I told them that. I do start off flat on my back. They said I had upper respiratory 'something". I am waiting for the cpap company to call me back to have him talk me through this and then I will call my doctor.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:20 am

latc51 wrote: If I don't get a peaceful nights sleep soon, it goes back.
You have that option. No one here can stop you.

Why are you paying $169 per month? Sounds like you are letting someone rip you off.

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:24 am

latc51 wrote:
49er wrote:
latc51 wrote:I fully know I am taking if off. I dont even think about it. I wake up and that's it, it comes off. my sleep has never been so disreupted as it has been with this.
I have mild sleep apnea and this will cost me $169 per month to keep this thing. If I don't get a peaceful nights sleep soon, it goes back.
I went to bed without it one night and slept like a baby!!!
latc51,

Normally, I don't make this suggestion without telling someone to fully give pap therapy a chance to work. But if you are that uncomfortable with it at this point, you might want to click on the link in my signature profile for dental devices and take a look at this study.

For most mild ranges, they have a 75% chance of reducing the apnea index to 5 or below for adjustable appliance. You might find this option more tolerable although though I am not sure what your insurance coverage would be regarding this issue.

And if you have mild sleep apnea, was anything said in your sleep study about whether it was positional or not? Perhaps by sleeping on your side, you would be able to eliminate it. Have you discussed this with your sleep doctor?

Another option to look into is Provent which might work for you since it generally reduces the AHI by 50%.

Best of luck to you.

49er
I am a side sleeper and have always slept better on my side and I told them that. I do start off flat on my back. They said I had upper respiratory 'something". I am waiting for the cpap company to call me back to have him talk me through this and then I will call my doctor.
You mean upper airway resistance syndrome?

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:25 am

latc51 wrote:I went to bed without it one night and slept like a baby!!!
lying to yourself like this doesn't help. if you DID sleep great/like a baby, you wouldn't NEED cpap.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

latc51

Post by latc51 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:36 am

yes, I'm lying to myself..makes sense.
I was shocked to learn i even had sleep apnea as I never had any symptoms other than a mild headache when I woke up.
I always slept good, never gasped for air, I did snore but even that was improving according to my husband.

The last thing i ever suspected was sleep apnea as it just didn't make any sense to me. when I had my sleep study test, I didn't go into REM stage.
they said my brain kept waking me up because my oxygen was going down some.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:41 am

latc51 wrote:yes, I'm lying to myself..makes sense.
I was shocked to learn i even had sleep apnea as I never had any symptoms other than a mild headache when I woke up.
I always slept good, never gasped for air, I did snore but even that was improving according to my husband.

The last thing i ever suspected was sleep apnea as it just didn't make any sense to me. when I had my sleep study test, I didn't go into REM stage.
they said my brain kept waking me up because my oxygen was going down some.
And, THAT'S why you need to use it. You may be in the "mild" category as far as the number of events go, but if your blood oxygen is desaturating enough, that's what puts you at risk.

Stick with it.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

kteague

Post by kteague » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:49 am

How you feel about this at this point is not unusual. It is still very new. Since you say there's no mask fit or equipment issues, sounds like it's probably going to take a bit more time for your brain to accept it as your new normal. I first typed the word "just" before I typed "take a bit more time" but took it out because that word seemed to diminish how difficult this process can be for some. Several months into treatment I decided to quit - but not for long. My apnea was destroying my health and well being so I knew I had to make it work. What symptoms sent you for a sleep study in the first place? When I look at what you've written, here's my nutshell thoughts...

- Don't take the machine back yet. It is far too soon to declare defeat.
- Do as others have suggested and through data make sure events aren't causing your wakeups.
- On nights when you won't have to get up early, give yourself no leeway in wearing the mask.
- Don't expect results unless you are wearing it as prescribed.
- Get the detailed copy of your reports (not just the summary - usually a few pages). You need to know exactly what you're dealing with if decisions are to be made. Some things to look for... 1. Did the study capture you in REM while supine? That is usually considered the worst case scenario. If it did not capture this, mild may not be your classification in real life sleep. 2. Was there a significant difference in your events between side sleeping and supine? Some people have positional apnea and if that's the case, it could change how you view the situation. 3. What did your diagnostic report say about arousals? Sometimes people are aroused from their sleep stages over and over but don't remember it. Frequent unremembered arousals can be as destructive to sleep as a few wakeups.

After you have thoroughly assessed your situation you'll be better able to make informed decisions about where to go from here. Right now you've just got how bad you feel to go on. Not a good state of mind in which to make such important decisions. Hang in there.
EDIT: Just saw your post that you never went into REM due to oxygen dropping. One must have REM and adequate oxygen. That increases the chance that in real life your sleep apnea is not "mild".

latc51

Post by latc51 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:57 am

kteague wrote:How you feel about this at this point is not unusual. It is still very new. Since you say there's no mask fit or equipment issues, sounds like it's probably going to take a bit more time for your brain to accept it as your new normal. I first typed the word "just" before I typed "take a bit more time" but took it out because that word seemed to diminish how difficult this process can be for some. Several months into treatment I decided to quit - but not for long. My apnea was destroying my health and well being so I knew I had to make it work. What symptoms sent you for a sleep study in the first place? When I look at what you've written, here's my nutshell thoughts...

- Don't take the machine back yet. It is far too soon to declare defeat.
- Do as others have suggested and through data make sure events aren't causing your wakeups.
- On nights when you won't have to get up early, give yourself no leeway in wearing the mask.
- Don't expect results unless you are wearing it as prescribed.
- Get the detailed copy of your reports (not just the summary - usually a few pages). You need to know exactly what you're dealing with if decisions are to be made. Some things to look for... 1. Did the study capture you in REM while supine? That is usually considered the worst case scenario. If it did not capture this, mild may not be your classification in real life sleep. 2. Was there a significant difference in your events between side sleeping and supine? Some people have positional apnea and if that's the case, it could change how you view the situation. 3. What did your diagnostic report say about arousals? Sometimes people are aroused from their sleep stages over and over but don't remember it. Frequent unremembered arousals can be as destructive to sleep as a few wakeups.

After you have thoroughly assessed your situation you'll be better able to make informed decisions about where to go from here. Right now you've just got how bad you feel to go on. Not a good state of mind in which to make such important decisions. Hang in there.
EDIT: Just saw your post that you never went into REM due to oxygen dropping. One must have REM and adequate oxygen. That increases the chance that in real life your sleep apnea is not "mild".
Thank you as you have been the most informative and the most kind. I think it is a matter of my brain adapting to the new intrusion. I went into REM during my 2nd sleep study with the cpap machine but I don't get my results until October. So, I won't know for sure until then. I will try to stick with it as long as I can or until I can see my doctor. Thank you for the encouragement.

AlabamaAl

Post by AlabamaAl » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:59 am

My doctor told me, if I had been diagnosed 30 years earlier, I might not have had two heart attacks, diabetes, etc. Sleep apnea can cause a wide variety of health issues.

Stick with it, Don't let Sleep apnea destroy your health, like it did mine! Isn't your future health worth a little sacrifice now???

Sleepy Veteran

Post by Sleepy Veteran » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:40 pm

latc51 wrote:I've had my cpap machine for almost 2 weeks and it wakes me up every single night so I take it off! The longest I had it on was 6 hours one night and now it's down to 2 hours!!!
I HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyone else having this problem?????????????????????????
Yes, I "HATE" my machine too, but let me tell you a few things I hate more:

1. I hate frequently falling asleep while sitting and looking at my computer screen at my desk at work and at home.

2. I hate frequently dozing off during meetings at work, especially if the lights were turned off for a screen presentation.

3. I hate dozing off at my desk after lunch and being caught snoring.

4. I hate occasionally dozing off without warning while behind the wheel in my car when stopped at a traffic light. I hate the car behind me honking their horn to awaken me and seeing the traffic already 50 yards ahead.

5. I hate the idea that I may doze off at the wheel with my precious wife or Grand-kids in the car and endanger them.

6. I hate frequently finding myself unable to organize my thoughts quickly or “think on my feet” and I hate how I have to make notes for nearly everything.

7. I hate that I now only have rare occasions when I do feel well rested and my thinking IS normal and quick and precise and organized and I hate that I can tell a distinct difference.

8. I hate that I have awakened at least 4-5 times in the night during the past year choking with vomit in my airway. I hate that in 2 instances the vomit was in my nose and upper sinuses and it was a couple of days before I was able to fully clear the smell.

9. I hate that my wife reports to me that I stop breathing at least 6-7 times per night that she notices and that it frightens her due to how long I stop breathing before gasping and start breathing again.

10. I hate that I ruin HER sleep.

11. I REALLY hate that my dear wife even moved to the living room couch out of frustration because of my snoring

12. I hate that I am no longer welcome as an overnight house guest anywhere as I have been told that the volume of my snoring is intolerable!

13. I hate that If I lie down to take a nap in the afternoon I will invariably sleep for many hours, even thru until the next day, and am nearly impossible to awaken. I hate that my wife reports it is as though I am “drugged”.

14. I hate that If left alone, I would invariably stay in bed for 18 hours or more. I hate that it is perhaps only because of my wife’s efforts to awaken me that I do eventually get out of bed.

15. I hate that I can go to bed feeling exhausted and then not be able to fall asleep which then causes me frustration. I hate that I will then try reading or watching movies until I fall asleep which may take several hours, sometimes 4 or more hours.

16. I hate that it has been many years since I have gotten out of bed feeling refreshed and rested. I hate that I honestly cannot recall what that actually feels like any more.

17. I hate that my inability to move around well because of my increasingly degenerating knees coupled with my constantly falling asleep at work certainly contributed to my being terminated from my past two places of employment. I hate that at 60 years of age this has left me at a huge disadvantage and my prospects for re-employment right now are bleak.

18. I hate not having the energy to fully enjoy my life and play with my 5 Grandchildren like I want to.

19. I hate feeling this way.

I HATE having to use the damn CPAP machine, but I pray to the Lord God Almighty every night my sincere prayers of Thankfulness that I HAVE this “hateful” contraption to help me LIVE and I ask for patience and fortitude to help to adapt and overcome the small problems I have so that I may provide for those that I love.

Go ahead and hate the machine, but think about what it is that you love.

Wulfman...

Re: I LOVE MY MACHINE!

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:51 pm

I LOVE my machine(s)!

In fact, I loved my first one so much, I acquired many more like it over the last nine years.

I do NOT "hate" anything about my therapy.
Do I wish I didn't have to use it? Sure. But, that's not the issue.

"Hate" is an UGLY word to be using with regard to a life-extending piece of equipment. It's a contradiction.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 15, 2014 1:55 pm

Wulfman... wrote:I LOVE my machine(s)!
well, fair dues, you are a bit weird Den

but we love you for it

you gotta hand it to sleepy verteran for coming up with a great list of things to hate more, though

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:03 pm

palerider wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:I LOVE my machine(s)!
well, fair dues, you are a bit weird Den

but we love you for it

you gotta hand it to sleepy verteran for coming up with a great list of things to hate more, though
True!
However, if I would have made out a similar list (and I could have if I'd have thought about it), I would have phrased it that "I LOVE not....... (feeling, doing, acting, these ways and things anymore)"
It's all in one's perspective.

Den

User since 05/14/05

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:29 pm

In order to truly HATE your life saving machine, you must first how decide how much you HATE life. Many of us can't afford HATE, we have people in our lives that need us.

If I did start a HATE list it would be long, but having a medical condition that could be made better by using XPAP wouldn't make the list.

The worst obstacle to correct XPAP usage is ones own mind, when you embrace a problem it stops being a problem. Lifes problems can be overcome when we decide we can overcome them. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 15, 2014 2:46 pm

Wulfman... wrote:However, if I would have made out a similar list (and I could have if I'd have thought about it), I would have phrased it that "I LOVE not....... (feeling, doing, acting, these ways and things anymore)"
It's all in one's perspective.
I quite agree... I mean, if I had the choice of not needing cpap, I'd take it, but, meh.... I greatly prefer cpap to not even being able to watch a tv show with friends because I'd fall asleep in the middle

it's not convenient, but I certainly don't hate it... that said, i'm not fastidious like many people are, I stick the mask on my face and take a breath to start the machine, and generally read a little on my ebook reader, and then go to sleep.

I wake up and roll over now and then and go back to sleep. it is what it is, and I accept it, like I accept so many other imperfections in life

I like the cleaner air that reduces my allergy symptoms, and having fresh air, if for some reason I feel the desire to pull the covers over my head, I don't mind... as a kid, I never did like how the air would get stale. *lol*