I HATE THIS MACHINE!

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
latc51

I HATE THIS MACHINE!

Post by latc51 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:07 am

I've had my cpap machine for almost 2 weeks and it wakes me up every single night so I take it off! The longest I had it on was 6 hours one night and now it's down to 2 hours!!!
I HATE IT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

anyone else having this problem?????????????????????????

LSAT

Re: I HATE THIS MACHINE!

Post by LSAT » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:27 am

How about explaining your problem (telling us you hate the machine is not enough) You can register at the top of the page and give us your mask, machine, pressure etc.

ems

Post by ems » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:48 am

latc51 wrote:I've had my cpap machine for almost 2 weeks and it wakes me up every single night so I take it off! The longest I had it on was 6 hours one night and now it's down to 2 hours!!!

I don't exactly love mine either. It does take awhile to adjust to tho. Mask comfort is key. Is your mask comfortable? As LSAT suggested, we need to know what's going on so that we can help you. It may be that your pressure is too low or maybe too high. Any information you give us will help. Also wondering if you've had a chance to run this by your doctor? Altho not ideal, a sleep med might help for a few weeks. Hang in there... it gets better.
If only the folks with sawdust for brains were as sweet and obliging and innocent as The Scarecrow! ~a friend~

Jeff241

Post by Jeff241 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:53 am

Venting about your machine is perfectly acceptable. Once you're done with that let us know what machine you have and what sort of mask and we can try to help.

Do you just wake up or is there something that occurs that wakes you up? Mask fit, as EMS has said, is the most common problem for people. Incorrect pressure, ramp, leaks, etc. may also be a problem. We're going to need you to give us more information to help you find out what is causing the problem.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Sep 15, 2014 9:58 am

latc51 wrote:I've had my cpap machine for almost 2 weeks and it wakes me up every single night so I take it off! The longest I had it on was 6 hours one night and now it's down to 2 hours!!!

Learn how to use CPAP properly. Cooperate with the members here and they will give you an education and some great help.

Be patient until you get over the startup problems.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:12 am

I hate diabetes, I hate insulin and lancets, too; I'm not fond of metformin--it gives me the runs. (but I DO it)
I hate glaucoma, The drops are a nuisance and make my eyes dry. (but I DO it)
Compared to that, I love, love, LOVE my Autoset. It stops the horrible nightmares that kept me up all night.
It gives me the energy to catch my 5 year old grandson when he acts like a real kid.
Heck yes, I do that. Life is good, partly because I work on it, partly because I'm LUCKY to have these tools
that have already improved and extended my life well beyond what I ever expected.

Sleep2Die4

Post by Sleep2Die4 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:18 am

chunkyfrog wrote:I'm LUCKY to have these tools
that have already improved and extended my life well beyond what I ever expected.
Count me too Froggie. I would not be alive today without CPAP.

You have to learn how to use it properly latc. Your medical professionals are not going to be much help. Lean on the resources here. Lots of people here would like to help you.

silver123

Post by silver123 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:23 am

Ya know it's really understandable to run into frustration with treatment when you are getting into the swing of this. I mean, who really wants an alien strapped to your face and purring in your ear every night.

But our attitude makes a huge difference. We can say "screw it" and watch our health, relationships, life quality, etc continue to disintegrate. Or we can decide to learn what it takes to make this treatment work, which means taking an attitude that this treatment is a real opportunity and can save us all that misery and probably our lives. And it's our responsibility to make it work. And no, it's not always easy.

LIke chunkyfrong said - we're lucky.
Don't be afraid to go out on a limb.
That's where the fruit is.
- H. Jackson Browne

latc51

Post by latc51 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:26 am

I am using it properly. My mask fits fine. No air leaks out. I fall asleep just fine but for some odd reason I wake up in the middle of the night and take my mask off.
I never woke up in the middle of the night before this machine. I don't see my doctor until October.
It's a full mask because I am a open mouth sleeper. It's a system One philips Respironics machine. I start out at 5 and it leads me to a level 9 within 20 minutes as the doctor wants me at 9.
it's not about the air pressure or the fitting of the mask. I wake up and take it off without a second thought then sleep great the rest of the night!

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:40 am

This is not extremely unusual. If you are conscious when you do this, don't go back to sleep without the mask.
Wash your face, wipe down the mask, put it back on and lie back down.
If you are removing the mask unconsciously, you can wear the mask earlier in the evening,
while reading or watching TV--just to teach your "sleepy self" that there is no danger.
Forgive yourself for taking it off, but think of it as a life jacket--got to wear it --or else. .

nanwilson

Post by nanwilson » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:41 am

latc51 wrote: it's not about the air pressure or the fitting of the mask. I wake up and take it off without a second thought then sleep great the rest of the night!
I think most of us have done that at the beginning too There are ways to combat that problem.... wear mittens to bed for a bit, its harder to take your mask off with mittens on... or... put a bit of tape on your mask and onto your face... you will feel it and wake yourself up and stick the tape back on. It will only take awhile to get over this once you get used to having it on.. believe me, we've done that and got the t-shirt . If you do some reading here you will see that it is a common problem in the first few weeks of therapy. We don't love having to wear this alien of our faces either, but at least it is keeping us alive until a better way of treating sleep apnea comes along.
Cheers and good luck
Nan
Started cpap in 2010.. still at it with great results.

latc51

Post by latc51 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 10:52 am

I fully know I am taking if off. I dont even think about it. I wake up and that's it, it comes off. my sleep has never been so disreupted as it has been with this.
I have mild sleep apnea and this will cost me $169 per month to keep this thing. If I don't get a peaceful nights sleep soon, it goes back.
I went to bed without it one night and slept like a baby!!!

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:02 am

latc51 wrote:I fully know I am taking if off. I dont even think about it. I wake up and that's it, it comes off. my sleep has never been so disreupted as it has been with this.
I have mild sleep apnea and this will cost me $169 per month to keep this thing. If I don't get a peaceful nights sleep soon, it goes back.
latc51,

Normally, I don't make this suggestion without telling someone to fully give pap therapy a chance to work. But if you are that uncomfortable with it at this point, you might want to click on the link in my signature profile for dental devices and take a look at this study.

For most mild ranges, they have a 75% chance of reducing the apnea index to 5 or below for adjustable appliance. You might find this option more tolerable although though I am not sure what your insurance coverage would be regarding this issue.

And if you have mild sleep apnea, was anything said in your sleep study about whether it was positional or not? Perhaps by sleeping on your side, you would be able to eliminate it. Have you discussed this with your sleep doctor?

Another option to look into is Provent which might work for you since it generally reduces the AHI by 50%.

Best of luck to you.

49er

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:08 am

Going without is not an option if you want to continue waking up in the morning,
or living without a stroke, diabetes, fatigue, or the myriad of bad things that come from untreated apnea.
It gets better, but you need to apply a little "tough love" to yourself, and stick it out.
and it does get better.
Alternative devices and surgery are normally considered a last resort, are not fully proven,
and some may actually make cpap even more difficult after you find they may not work well enough.
You are welcome to try any alternative you can afford, as long as it is reversible-
-since effectiveness is never guaranteed.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:10 am

latc51 wrote:I fully know I am taking if off. I dont even think about it. I wake up and that's it, it comes off. my sleep has never been so disreupted as it has been with this.
One of the forum members once had a saying in their profile that "anyone who said they slept like a baby never had one".

Please register as a user on the forum and fill out your equipment profile with the specific equipment and pressures you use. That way people will always be able to see what you're using.

Your experience is far from being uncommon. Lots of people have "been there, done that". You need this therapy for your health. Just because it was diagnosed as "mild", could be that they caught it before it became more severe. We just didn't go from "normal" to "severe" overnight.

Lots of possibilities why you're waking up and consequently discontinuing use during the night.

Just stick with it and let us try to help you.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05