AirSense AutoSet Noise

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
daytona

AirSense AutoSet Noise

Post by daytona » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:45 am

I have had an AirSense AutoSet for Her for less than a week. Since the very first night I noticed a high pitched 'beepy' noise towards the end of the night. I really don't know how to describe it, it doesn't sound like a digital beep (i.e. it's not an error code or similar to the sound of pushing a button), but it's this intermittent high pitched noise... I can hear it faintly with my earplugs out but with them in, it is all I can hear! I have read a bit about the S9's infamous whistle but I am not sure if it's the same?

Has anyone else with an AirSense experienced this? I tried turning off autoclimate and lowering the humidity, but that caused a nosebleed so I had to turn up the humidity. It wasn't a well controlled experiment so I'm not sure if the humidity is related or not.

Considering it doesn't do this the first few hours but always does it after say 5 hours, does anyone have any suggestions? I am not good a debugging things at 3am.

I don't have a backup machine (just started cpap this week), so I REALLY don't want to send it back to Resmed for repair. I bought this out of pocket and I'd rather not buy another on the hope that they can fix this...

daytona

Re: AirSense AutoSet Noise

Post by daytona » Sun Sep 21, 2014 7:54 am

This is continuing to keep me awake... And now I have noticed that the bottom of the water chamber (the metal plate) is becoming discolored in one spot, like perhaps the heating element is getting too hot? I always keep the chamber filled, but I do use the warmup feature. I'm not sure if it's relevant, related or just normal.

One thought is that perhaps the noise is coming from the mask (AirFit P10)? I am grasping at straws I guess.

I contacted ResMed, if I hear anything useful, I'll post back.

Tango

Post by Tango » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:16 am

I've used mine for 6 nights and I'm loving it!! No odd sounds at all.
I don't have the for her model. Just the regular Autoset airsense 10.

terrydk

Post by terrydk » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:40 am

I have used mine now for three nights and haven't noticed any out of the normal noises. I have the humidifier turned off. In fact its much quieter than my S8 was, all I can hear is myself breathing, not any noise from the machine.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 21, 2014 1:15 pm

This is, if I'm not mistaken, is Daytona's very first machine.
After only a week, how many of the rest of us were bothered by the machine noise,
but hardly notice it at all now? Daytona, it will get better; or at least seem to.
In the meantime, make sure your machine is sitting a bit lower than the edge of the bed.
(Mine is about a foot lower, the bed muffles any sounds quite efficiently)

Nick Danger

Post by Nick Danger » Sun Sep 21, 2014 3:09 pm

daytona wrote: I can hear it faintly with my earplugs out but with them in, it is all I can hear! I have read a bit about the S9's infamous whistle but I am not sure if it's the same?
Have you tried switching from ear plugs to a white noise machine? I had the S9 whistle with my last machine (I think it was being transmitted by the hose), but white noise (even on very low volume) covered it easily.

Post by Guest » Sun Sep 21, 2014 4:15 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:This is, if I'm not mistaken, is Daytona's very first machine.
After only a week, how many of the rest of us were bothered by the machine noise,
but hardly notice it at all now? Daytona, it will get better; or at least seem to.
In the meantime, make sure your machine is sitting a bit lower than the edge of the bed.
(Mine is about a foot lower, the bed muffles any sounds quite efficiently)
All good points. And this is why I always say newbies should not get equipment (esp. new equip) that is not in wide spread use, it makes it so hard to help them.

daytona

Post by daytona » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:12 pm

My first week on cpap was on a used (now broken) respironics that I scrounged up to get by. The sound of the machine, air whooshing in the tubes, etc don't bother me at all. I have been sleeping next to my husband's jet engine cpap for 6 years.

What bothers me about the noise is that it only happens after 4+ hours of continuous use so I am concerned that it is indicative of a problem. I then have trouble falling back asleep when I wake up and notice it, trying to pinpoint the source. If it's to be expected, then as you noted, I'll soon get used to it.

I'm not sure I could stop using earplugs at this point. I have been using them for 16 years due to various reasons, family members snoring, perpetual nighttime road construction and now living on 2 train lines. Though one day... I would love to ditch them.

I'll assume that it's all in my head unless Resmed says otherwise. You're right that as a new user it's hard to judge what is significant...

palerider

Post by palerider » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:27 pm

is it a noise that happens with your breathing?

I've had a mild wheeze in the past that seems to vary depending on the hose and other things.

(one source of hose induced noise was a respironics elbow that I had to change the direction of the hose coming out of the back of my resmed.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

moz

Post by moz » Sun Sep 21, 2014 8:31 pm

Been using my AirSense 3 weeks now -- about 2 feet from my head -- it is absolutely silent.

Hard for me to imagine what noise you hear.

Crist

Post by Crist » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:48 pm

I've had my AirSense 10 for a couple of weeks now (not the for her version though) and no sound like you are describing nor any discoloration of the humidifier. Sometimes I run the warm up feature but more often not, it doesn't seem to change the sounds if I run the warm up it not.

Hope you get an answer soon.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 21, 2014 9:53 pm

If you already have a history of noise sensitivity, getting desensitized to the machine is likely to take longer.
Another thing: Since 1980, I have slept within 400 feet of one of the busiest rail corridors in the region,
and I will vouch for the effectiveness of double-glazed windows. Hubby has installed them all around,
and it is so quiet that I slept right through a lightning strike in our yard.

daytona

Post by daytona » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:02 pm

palerider wrote:is it a noise that happens with your breathing?

I've had a mild wheeze in the past that seems to vary depending on the hose and other things.

(one source of hose induced noise was a respironics elbow that I had to change the direction of the hose coming out of the back of my resmed.
I'll experiment a bit more tonight but I think the reason why it doesn't start whistling immediately is because my starting pressure is 7. I have lots of flow limitations after a few hours of sleep, and then the pressure goes up to 11 and stays there the rest of the night. I'll crank it up before I go to bed and try to pin-point the source of the noise. I also have a different mask, maybe the noise is coming from the connector. Thanks for the suggestions!

daytona

Post by daytona » Mon Sep 22, 2014 7:08 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:If you already have a history of noise sensitivity, getting desensitized to the machine is likely to take longer.
Another thing: Since 1980, I have slept within 400 feet of one of the busiest rail corridors in the region,
and I will vouch for the effectiveness of double-glazed windows. Hubby has installed them all around,
and it is so quiet that I slept right through a lightning strike in our yard.
Not sure if I am sensitive to noise or just a light sleeper, which I'm starting to think is a symptom of the sleep apnea and not something permanent about me. I sleep so well with the machine, I know some people have trouble but I have settled right in. I love sleeping with it, after years of using a nasal appliance (Sleep Right), I don't notice the pillows one bit, and the freedom from the awful nightmares... it has been an immediate positive change that I have fully embraced.

Either way, I can't wait until I own my own house and can get me some of those fancy windows. They sound great.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 22, 2014 11:02 pm

daytona wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote: effectiveness of double-glazed windows.
Either way, I can't wait until I own my own house and can get me some of those fancy windows. They sound great.
new phrase, "chunkyfrog and her fancypants windows!"

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.