Do CPAP users still feel the need for naps?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
archangle

Re: Do CPAP users still feel the need for naps?

Post by archangle » Tue Sep 16, 2014 10:35 pm

Think of it this way:

Your untreated apnea for 8 hours a night is like smoking 8 cigarettes every night in your sleep.

A one hour nap without CPAP is like smoking 1 cigarette.

Because insurance tends to require 4 hours CPAP a night in order to qualify for payment, there's a myth that 4 hours a night of CPAP is good enough, even from some doctors. I think that's wrong. I think any amount of untreated apenea has some cumulative risk and harm.

I don't know if 8 cigarettes is the right number, but hopefully it conveys the idea. The "cigarette equivalent number" probably depends on how bad your untreated apnea is.

Hmmm... Maybe I've got an idea here. Develop a "CEN™" Cigarette Equivalent Number™ measure for apnea that is a more comprehensive measure than AHI/RDI..

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

spidey

Post by spidey » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:17 pm

I dont plan my naps, in fact if I nap its watching a movie, sometimes in a hammock in the back yard, sometimes its on the beach. They just happen

Are you telling me I should carry my CPAP everywhere I go in case I have an unplanned nap. Im on the machine at night now so I dont feel the need to nap, but naps usualy sneak up on me. How would I even be able to hook up the machine?

Hopefully that will change, but a nice summer day with a breeze, on a deck lounger and a beer and I accidently fall alseep for 10 minutes. This is a bad thing??? Or after a nice supper and a small 10 minute nap at the inlaws

Im all about being healthy and wanting to make sure I do this right, but Im not dragging my cpap machine everywhere I go, expecially my back yard, on a boat or quading
Last edited by spidey on Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tyroneshoes2

Post by tyroneshoes2 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 2:50 pm

The best life advice I ever got was:

"Eat when you're hungry; sleep when you're tired; make love whenever you can."

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Sep 18, 2014 3:49 pm

spidey wrote:I dont plan my naps, in fact if I nap its watching a movie, sometimes in a hammock in the back yard, sometimes its on the beach. They just happen

Are you telling me I should carry my CPAP everywhere I go in case I have an unplanned nap. Im on the machine at night now so I dont feel the need to nap, but naps usualy sneak up on me. How would I even be able to hook up the machine?

Hopefully that will change, but a nice summer day with a breeze, on a deck lounger and a beer and I accidently fall alseep for 10 minutes. This is a bad thing??? Or after a nice supper and a small 10 minute nap at the inlaws

Im all about being healthy and wanting to make sure I do this right, but Im not dragging my cpap machine everywhere I go, expecially my back yard, on a boat or quading
Every time you sleep without CPAP, you do yourself some harm and have some additional risk of something severe like a heart attack or stroke during the nap. It's less harmful to do this for a 1 hour nap than it is to do it for 8 hours every night, but there's still some harm.

Think of it as being like a 2 pack a day smoker who still smokes a little. Or driving drunk every so often vs driving home drunk every night.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

spidey

Post by spidey » Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:01 pm

archangle wrote:
spidey wrote:I dont plan my naps, in fact if I nap its watching a movie, sometimes in a hammock in the back yard, sometimes its on the beach. They just happen

Every time you sleep without CPAP, you do yourself some harm and have some additional risk of something severe like a heart attack or stroke during the nap. It's less harmful to do this for a 1 hour nap than it is to do it for 8 hours every night, but there's still some harm.

Think of it as being like a 2 pack a day smoker who still smokes a little. Or driving drunk every so often vs driving home drunk every night.

My naps maybe last 10 or 15 minutes during the day, if they ever happen, and they arent planned. And Unless I plan on carying my Cpap machine around with me like some one with an oxygen tank hooked up all the time, how will I be able to use it.

IM using the machine so I dont have these naps, but Im not going to carry the thing around with me. It would be impossible, and if I do fall asleep who puts it on me, strangers?

VikingGnome

Post by VikingGnome » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:13 pm

Sometimes I do take a nap. This is usually after having a difficult night fighting my leaking mask with limited sleep.