Do CPAP users still feel the need for naps?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
spidey

Re: Do CPAP users still feel the need for naps?

Post by spidey » Mon Sep 15, 2014 3:10 pm

I ha dmy first scheduled nap on Saturday, in probably, well ever. Or it was so long ago I dont remember

Usualy if I do have naps they are like most people, by accident.

I just got the machine and thought to get used to it more have a nap. And Im at the age now I decided, whats the harm in having a nap on a day off.

Will I continue it, doubt it, Im pretty active, but layed down for about an hour

gdgiles

Post by gdgiles » Tue Sep 16, 2014 5:32 am

I stopped napping because I didn't want to get into bed, hook up, etc for 20 minutes to maybe an hour. That said there is the occasional afternoon I'll finish lunch sitting on the sofa and the next thing I know I'm waking up a bit later. That might happen once every 2 or 3 weeks.

In a world full of locks, love is the key. God is love.

gdgiles

Post by gdgiles » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:23 am

Julie wrote:... and never do it without your machine because you'll undo the good built up over nights.

I'm not doubting what you're saying here but I don't understand it. If the nap off CPAP isn't as restful as it would be on CPAP I get how that's not as restful, but I don't get how it undoes a past event, ie sleeping w/CPAP the previous nights. Help me understand that.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:27 am

gdgiles wrote:
Julie wrote:... and never do it without your machine because you'll undo the good built up over nights.

I'm not doubting what you're saying here but I don't understand it. If the nap off CPAP isn't as restful as it would be on CPAP I get how that's not as restful, but I don't get how it undoes a past event, ie sleeping w/CPAP the previous nights. Help me understand that.
take some sandpaper, and scrub a spot on your arm till it bleeds.

that's sleeping (napping) without cpap.

stop scrubbing... let it heal, that's sleeping with cpap.

now, scrub some more.

see the blood?

does it make sense now?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

gdgiles

Post by gdgiles » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:36 am

I understand your example but not as it relates to sleeping. To that extent, sandpaper on your skin in small amounts builds up callouses and makes your skin tougher, which is good if you need tougher skin and not good if you don't.

deerslayer

Post by deerslayer » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:44 am

Wulfman... wrote:I just took a two hour nap in bed this afternoon.
Of course, as always, I used one of my machines.

Sleep is a good thing.
The more sleep you get above ground may help you spend less time below ground.

Den

I Like the Way You Think Den
Feel very Fortunate to be able to make time around 2-3pm to kick back in the Recliner & drift off for an hour .Sometimes with CPAP & Sometimes not, Depends on the Sinus Condition. Not Every Day but i Don't fight the feelin , just go with it..Cell turned off First ! Even though Thyroid meds are supplying some added motivation, the nap deal helps , especially after spending a little time at the gym.

thanks to Nick sleep HQ
Feeling Blessed & firmly believe in The Holy Trinity 🙏

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 16, 2014 9:47 am

gdgiles wrote:I understand your example but not as it relates to sleeping. To that extent, sandpaper on your skin in small amounts builds up callouses and makes your skin tougher, which is good if you need tougher skin and not good if you don't.
*shrug* I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

JCWarrior

Post by JCWarrior » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:00 am

palerider wrote:
gdgiles wrote:I understand your example but not as it relates to sleeping. To that extent, sandpaper on your skin in small amounts builds up callouses and makes your skin tougher, which is good if you need tougher skin and not good if you don't.
*shrug* I can explain it to you, I can't understand it for you.
I'm not an expert but I would think the gaines made using CPAP would not necissarily be undone by taking naps without CPAP. Perhaps a better description would be that you are increasing the demands on your heart, brain by restricting the flow of oxygen and therefore doing additional damage by taking naps without CPAP?

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:20 am

The more you sleep without the mask the more events will occur, arouse you, mess up your system you and make your nap less productive than if you'd not taken one at all! That's the whole point of using Cpap when sleeping. Got it?

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:43 am

gdgiles wrote: To that extent, sandpaper on your skin in small amounts builds up callouses and makes your skin tougher, which is good if you need tougher skin and not good if you don't.
to continue YOUR twist of the analogy, apnea puts strain on your heart, which, much like your skin, toughens up, enlarges, and gets less flexible, this causes it to have trouble squeezing out the blood, thus making it harder for it to adequately pump.

this is called congestive heart failure.

it's a bad thing, don't do that to your heart.

Last edited by palerider on Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Get OSCAR

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:52 am

gdgiles wrote:

Well, try to understand this. A person known to my wife and I who lived in the Seattle area, and was a CPAP user, had a managerial job......and one night in September of 2007, got called out to resolve some issues at work. When he arrived home in the wee hours of the morning he went to bed and opted NOT to use his machine. He died in his sleep of a heart attack.

If you're going to "roll the dice", sometimes you win and sometimes you get "snake eyes" (you lose).

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

gdgiles

Post by gdgiles » Tue Sep 16, 2014 11:58 am

Ok, the heart example I understand. Thanks.

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:09 pm

Perhaps I'm misunderstanding, but I read Julie's comment as a caution against complacency or non-compliance. If you are struggling with getting used to a face-sucker and opt to take a nap without it, and you *feel* rested after your siesta, there could be a temptation to say "hey, I can sleep without it once in a while." Once in a while becomes twice in a while, becomes 4/7 nights without, and the inconsistency WILL do more damage to your system, much as skipping a few doses of a maintenance medication throws off your system. If you are 90-100% compliant and otherwise relatively healthy, an occasional 45 min nap in the chair may not be as harmful as, say, someone with heart failure already underway and severe obstructive apnea opting to lie down for 20 minutes without the hose... JM$0.02

I think what she was driving at is that it's good sleep hygiene to be in the habit of napping WITH your PAP if you are in the habit of napping, because the longer you sleep without it, regardless of the time be it midday or the wee hours after a bathroom break, the more potential there is for further harm.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:01 pm

To extend the "treated sleep is good medicine" analogy,
the last time I had the flu, I slept nearly 20 hours a day while sick.
My healing time was shortened by probably half if not better.
Putting my "get well mojo" on turbo really works.

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Sep 16, 2014 3:44 pm

I was simply trying to explain the way apnea works because he didn't seem to get it. I wasn't making a point for compliance or anything otherwise.