Do CPAP users still feel the need for naps?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Napnea

Do CPAP users still feel the need for naps?

Post by Napnea » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:27 pm

I'm fairly new at this and do notice less tiredness since starting, but I still want naps now and then.
Also I still seem to go to bed early (8-9PM)

Dunno if it's just age or it's normal to nap after starting CPAP.

but plateaued against further loss anything short of starving.
Starting pressure 8.0 cm ramps up to 11 during night.
Not using humidifier.

Julie

Re: Do CPAP users still feel the need for naps?

Post by Julie » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:31 pm

It's very normal, and never do it without your machine because you'll undo the good built up over nights. But you are going to bed SOO early - how many hours do you sleep? Because if they're excessive, then maybe you're not getting treated well and may need to e.g. raise your pressure, or look into other things that could be at work, whether related to OSA, Cpap or e.g. thyroid, low T, or Vit. D issues.

Are you using software? What does it say about your AHI and other stats?

Amenite

Post by Amenite » Sat Sep 13, 2014 1:59 pm

Napnea wrote:I'm fairly new at this and do notice less tiredness since starting, but I still want naps now and then.
Also I still seem to go to bed early (8-9PM)

Dunno if it's just age or it's normal to nap after starting CPAP.
Interesting question as I am just over three months on CPAP now doing very well with it and have recently caught myself napping on the train in the late afternoon (twice in one week). I am going to adjust my routine to get to bed an hour earlier. My current theory is since my body is now accustomed to a normal sleep cycle after years of untreated apnea of various severity, it is wanting a different "normal" amount of sleep as well just "normal" sleep. With OSA it didn't matter much if i slept for 5, 6, 8 or more hours. I was never rested and always ready to nap. Now I am thinking there's a new normal I need to find to get it right.

Greenkat

Post by Greenkat » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:36 pm

Hi Napnea!

I am a little over 3 months in and take an hour nap almost daily.

Some days I am just dog-tired and need to lay down and others I just feel like sleeping as I wake up energized.

My C-pap therapy was pretty easy to adapt to from the start although I still have wakenings at night. But I always get back to sleep fairly quickly.

I attribute my need to nap to several issues - the main one being I only average 6 hours of sleep each night on average due to my commitments and my husband's medical issues. I probably require more hours so the naps bring me closer to what I need. I also think my sinus problems, weight (congrats on such a huge weight loss!), and medications make me more tired than the average bear!

I think as long as we use our machines and are feeling an improvement naps are okay!

Kathy
Kathy

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Sep 13, 2014 3:45 pm

Plenty of non-apneacs need or at least want naps.

Even if you fix your apnea with CPAP, you will still have the same "nap profile" as someone without apnea. It's debatable whether naps are good or bad for normal people.

You definitely need to use CPAP even for naps.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

sleepy1235

Post by sleepy1235 » Sat Sep 13, 2014 4:52 pm

My first doctor said that I will occasionally feel a need for naps out of habit after having apnea.

However, I don't think he was a good sleep doctor.

Your sleep study might be wrong and you might need a lot more pressure.

I put this together for people who want to drive their own treatement.

1. If the doctor is going to request a sleep study, ask him for a copy of the written protocol of the test and what it is based upon. In regards to what it is based upon I mean from which medical papers was it derived. Preferably it should be a standard protocol that has a name and reference number. They have been published. http://www.aasmnet.org/resources/clinic ... 040210.pdf

If the doctor doesn't have a written protocol you can stop the discussion right there and leave.

2. Ask your doctor your doctor what he or she expects to learn from the study. Is it just going to be the pressure that your apneas disappear? Is there going to be considered Respiratory Effort Related Arosuals (RERA) due to upper airway resistance syndrome? What about flow limitation related arousals?

3. Ask what type of result and report you will receive after the sleep study. Just getting a pressure setting isn't enough. Ask if the report will be in writing. It is important that you get the report, because the next sleep doctor will want to see it.

4. Insist that the CPAP machine be data recording. Not just the hours of sleep you used it, but detailed data. Ask the doctor what data does it record and what statistics it provides.

5. Ask about how the CPAP machine is chosen and the range of choices. If the range of choices is just one brand, inquire why. The doctor, the sleep center, medical institution might have some deal with a single brand locking them in. Ask them if there is this type of agreement.

6. Ask what the options are for purchasing the CPAP yourself through a supplier you find.

7. Ask about the follow up. When you get your CPAP, or maybe just a new setting, how will effectiveness of treatment be assessed? How long will it take to have an impact? If "sleep debt" is brought up, at what point will this will definitely ruled out as an issue if you still feel sleepy?

What will be the action taken if in the period in which the treatment is expected to be effective isn't working?

What is the doctor's plan to get you from point A (sleepy) to point Z (rested).

To you the goal is feeling rested, and if this isn't the doctors objective then I think there is a problem. The goal isn't to get a pressure for a CPAP machine, or to get a CPAP machine, or do a sleep study. The goal is to get a good night's sleep. The doctor should be clear at this.

If during your questioning you get a dismissive attitude or the attitude that "I am the doctor and you are the patient" get another doctor.

In particular watch out for the "sleep is mysterious" attitude. Yes, scientists are very challenged by the phenomenon of sleep, but either the doctor is effective or not and either you are going to get a good night's sleep or not. This "sleep is mysterious" attitude is often an excuse in which the doctor feels that he or she isn't accountable for a positive outcome.

I think that sleep treatment could be much better if patients raised their expectations.

Perhaps there should be a sleep doctor assessment document made up.

Additionally:
if it comes to the point later where an additional sleep study is proposed, that is a 2nd sleep study I think some things should be asked.

1. Why was the first sleep study inadequate such a 2nd sleep study was necessary?

2. If a 2nd sleep study is going to be done, what will be done so that a 3rd sleep study isn't necessary.
Additionally, I think the sleep doctor should be knowledgeable on how CPAP machines implements the therapy.

A pressure is just a number until the CPAP machine applies it to you. The nurses should also know how the machines work and the implications of the set ups.

The doctor needs to be familiar with all of the different kinds of machine - CPAP, APAP, BiPAP, AutoBiPAP, ASV - and when each one is appropriate, keeping in mind the restrictions placed by many insurance companies that a patient needs to "fail" with each level before they can move to the next (except for CPAP to APAP, which are the same supplier code).

Also, you need to ask the doctor if you can do a home sleep study if the first one in the lab fails (or if you have good reasons for wanting to do one at home). The doc needs to explain why you need an overnight PSG if he thinks you do need one.

letsride

Post by letsride » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:01 pm

I still want a nap on occasion but I still use my pap.
So I'd say it is normal.

Napnea

Post by Napnea » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:58 pm

I don't use the CPAP for naps because the naps aren't intentional.
I end up falling asleep watching TV if the program is boring.

I have no software. The machine has a summary on it but I haven't used it long enough for any averages to form.

Not a fan of increasing pressure as that's what made the initial trial so hellish.

This new mask not being a full face doesn't blow off as easily so I tolerate it more and am getting more and more hours per night with pretty good comfort.

I probably need more "time in" to really be able to know how it is going.

I have been a 4 AM riser since I can remember. Might be why I go to bed so early.

Not using humidifier.

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:19 pm

I sleep 7-8 hours on my machine per night and take a 30 minute siesta (nap after lunch) every day. I don't use my machine because I nap in a chair in my office.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:29 pm

I just took a two hour nap in bed this afternoon.
Of course, as always, I used one of my machines.

Sleep is a good thing.
The more sleep you get above ground may help you spend less time below ground.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Sat Sep 13, 2014 10:50 pm

Napnea I would suspect your naps to be more a function of age rather than ineffective CPAP therapy. My father is a year or two younger than you, has COPD and uses his CPAP/concentrator setup faithfully every night, but still naps in the afternoons if he's at home. Heck if I wasn't working I would be taking an occasional siesta in the afternoon as well!

Last edited by RicaLynn on Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:44 am, edited 1 time in total.

Duffy08

Post by Duffy08 » Sun Sep 14, 2014 6:20 am

Last night was my fifth night with the CPAP, and I've taken two naps since I got my CPAP (down from napping almost daily.) I still usually feel tired in the afternoon but I think this is, impart, because my body is so used to an afternoon nap. The difference is, the feeling will usually pass, and I can make it through the rest of the day. One thing I have noticed though, is that I am ready for sleep much earlier now--bedtime between 9:45 and 10:30 rather than 11:30 and midnight.

Napnea

Post by Napnea » Sun Sep 14, 2014 11:27 am

New postby Duffy08 on Sun Sep 14, 2014 7:20 am

Last night was my fifth night with the CPAP, and I've taken two naps since I got my CPAP (down from napping almost daily.) I still usually feel tired in the afternoon but I think this is, impart, because my body is so used to an afternoon nap. The difference is, the feeling will usually pass, and I can make it through the rest of the day. One thing I have noticed though, is that I am ready for sleep much earlier now--bedtime between 9:45 and 10:30 rather than 11:30 and midnight.
Man, that is as close as it gets. Other than my earlier bedtime, I think I'm on same bandwidth as you. Even to it being about my 5th night in this unchosen new practice.

Also RicaLynn just above your post jibes with my suspicion of aging being part of it.

DAMMIT.... I earned my darn naps, whippersnappers!

Not using humidifier.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:05 pm

I need a nap if I get less than ~6.5 hours sleep; or if I'm sick.
Cats really know how to heal; and I take my cue from those wise creatures.

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Sun Sep 14, 2014 1:41 pm

Napnea wrote:Also RicaLynn just above your post jibes with my suspicion of aging being part of it.

DAMMIT.... I earned my darn naps, whippersnappers!
No argument here! Lol I care for a 90yo woman in her home, I don't begrudge her one iota when she nods off while I'm there!