Ffm. What are your suggestions

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Greg Riddle

Ffm. What are your suggestions

Post by Greg Riddle » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:30 pm

I've been wearing a quatro fx mask and hate it I can't sleep in any position but my back and I don't like it. I can't get it to stop leaking into my eyes or down my chin if I sleep in any other position. I've tried nasal pillows and like them but I get air leaking through my mouth. It wakes me up constantly. My back has been killing me post few weeks. I wake up in horrible pain. Last night I put the nasal pillows back on. I woke up twice with air leaking through my mouth. Out want much air but still happened. The good news is I got to sleep in my stomach and my back didn't hurt this morning. I need a ffm that doesn't suck. Something the I don't have to strap so tight it hurts or makes part of my face numb. Any suggestions are welcome

Sheriff Buford

Re: Ffm. What are your suggestions

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:44 pm

Please understand that your question is like asking people what are the best shoes. EVERONE loves their mask. I have been thru a half-dozen mask before I found mine. I use two masks, one of them people hate!! But it works for me.

Now that I'm suckered in... Look at the Resmed Airfit F10. Cpap.com told me a couple months ago that it was quickly becoming the top selling mask and they can't keep them on the shelf.

Sheriff (the sucker...)

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:58 pm

Go to padacheek.com and check out the assortment of mask liners

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:41 pm

Greg Riddle wrote:I've been wearing a quatro fx mask and hate it I can't sleep in any position but my back and I don't like it. I can't get it to stop leaking into my eyes or down my chin if I sleep in any other position. I've tried nasal pillows and like them but I get air leaking through my mouth. It wakes me up constantly. My back has been killing me post few weeks. I wake up in horrible pain. Last night I put the nasal pillows back on. I woke up twice with air leaking through my mouth. Out want much air but still happened. The good news is I got to sleep in my stomach and my back didn't hurt this morning. I need a ffm that doesn't suck. Something the I don't have to strap so tight it hurts or makes part of my face numb. Any suggestions are welcome
Get a different bed pillow! That's your problem.

I've been using a Chiroflow water-based pillow for years longer than I've been on this therapy. I'm a dedicated side-sleeper and have no consistent problems with mask leaks. I've tried to use the standard fiberfill pillows on occasion and had horrible mask leakage.

Check my profile for what I use.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

grayghost4

Post by grayghost4 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:48 pm

I alternate between the F10 and a F&P Forma .... they both work well for me.
If you're not part of the solution you're just scumming up the bottom of the beaker!

Get the Clinicians manual here : http://apneaboard.com/adjust-cpap-press ... tup-manual

Greg Riddle

Post by Greg Riddle » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:51 pm

I don't use cover fill they suck. I use feather pillow

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:01 pm

Greg Riddle wrote:I don't use cover fill they suck. I use feather pillow
If your head sinks into it and pushes your mask out of alignment, then it's the "wrong" one to use.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Greg Riddle

Post by Greg Riddle » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:04 pm

The pillow never touched the mask just the straps. Just touching the straps makes the mask leak. The dam thing leaks while I'm sitting up and turn my head

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:06 pm

You're not supposed to sit up (and hope to test it validly)! It won't work.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:10 pm

Greg Riddle wrote:The pillow never touched the mask just the straps. Just touching the straps makes the mask leak. The dam thing leaks while I'm sitting up and turn my head
Why are you using the Quattro FX and not the regular Quattro?
I tried a mask without a forehead support once (not the Quattro FX)......it was a disaster. Couldn't even take a nap with it.

Maybe you do not have it adjusted properly.

Den

User since 05/14/05

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:13 pm

Greg Riddle wrote:The pillow never touched the mask just the straps. Just touching the straps makes the mask leak. The dam thing leaks while I'm sitting up and turn my head
I don't see where you've told us what machine and settings you're using. How about filling out your profile with all of the appropriate information?
If you're using an APAP in a range of pressures, that might account for some of the things you're complaining about.

Den

User since 05/14/05

Greg Riddle

Post by Greg Riddle » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:15 pm

I've been trying to adjust the mask for a couple months. No adjustment seems to solve the problem.

The answer to your question about why I'm using this mask is because like the machine I have it's what I was given by the dme and was told it's good use it

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:19 pm

Greg Riddle wrote:I've been trying to adjust the mask for a couple months. No adjustment seems to solve the problem.

The answer to your question about why I'm using this mask is because like the machine I have it's what I was given by the dme and was told it's good use it
Aaaaaahhhhhhh!!! That sort of helps explain it.

Den

User since 05/14/05

library lady

Post by library lady » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:42 pm

I have some suggestions for you, but first let me tell you that many people here have had to try numerous masks over a period of months before finding THE ONE. Others are fortunate to find the right mask fairly quickly. A mask that works and is comfortable for one person will not work for all. Some people can't stand FF masks, others can't stand pillows, etc.

I started cpap on the Quattro Air, the one the DME gave me. I couldn't control the leaks, even after I learned that there is a fine line between "too tight" and "too loose" on the straps. Too much either way will make leaking worse. After I came to the forum I learned about mask liners. One poster has already mentioned the Pad-A-Cheek liners, but there are also RemZzz liners that you can get online from https://www.cpap.com, and many DMEs have them as well.

I first tried the P-A-C liners, and didn't like the feel of the fabric against my face so tried RemZzzs, and they made a huge difference for me! I slept through the night without being bothered by leaks. Either liner has the advantage of protecting your face from sores or other irritation, as well the ability to soak up moisture and oils from your skin that prevent a good seal. Also they "quiet" the leaks that persist, which contributes to better sleep for both user and bed partner. I now make my own liners out of t-shirts that I wash and reuse.

These days, I rarely wake up from leaks. Most nights my leaks do not go above the red line in Sleepyhead.
When they do, they almost never wake me up. Several months ago after the F10 came out, I purchased it and I like it much better as it doesn't have a forehead arm and strap and that makes it more comfortable. The cushion on the Quattro Air and the F10 are the same. Someone here mentioned that the sizing was different, but with my medium masks of each, they are exactly the same size. Maybe another size has different sizing of the cushions, I don't know.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

Bill44133

Post by Bill44133 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:45 pm

I use the Zzz-Mask Full Face CPAP Mask Made by Probasics. I like that it does not have the forehead support, and more then anything else I like the price. Compared the price to Resmed masks this mask is half price, and the replacement cushions are about half also. The mask works well for me, but every one is different. I have high pressure settings of 23/19, and so far served me well. You may have to go through a few masks till you find what is best for you. Hang on to your pocket book.

I wish you well

Additional Comments: Settings are IPap 23 EPap 19