Buying stuff here

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Should cpap.com allow people to buy and sell CPAP equipment on cpaptalk.com?

Poll ended at Tue Jun 06, 2017 4:12 am

Yes
89%
No
11%

Total votes: 47

BlackSpinner

Re: Buying stuff here

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:18 pm

curious1 wrote:If they're going to allow random people to use this forum as a public marketplace to buy and sell prescription medical items, might as well use it for everything else too. Anyone got any morphine pills? Percosets? I'm sure there's plenty of people willing to pay top dollar.
Ah a troll. And/Or a manufacturer shill.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Sep 11, 2014 1:30 pm

BlackSpinner wrote:
curious1 wrote:If they're going to allow random people to use this forum as a public marketplace to buy and sell prescription medical items, might as well use it for everything else too. Anyone got any morphine pills? Percosets? I'm sure there's plenty of people willing to pay top dollar.
Ah a troll. And/Or a manufacturer shill.
That was kind of my suspicion, too.
Or, someone who's been trying to sell this stuff and had a bad experience, got rejected or was embarrassed in some way.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

old dude

Post by old dude » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:13 pm

zoocrewphoto wrote:Personally, I think there should be a minimum length of time here AND useful posts, not just selling stuff. I don't mind the few regulars who post and help out people with reasonable prices. They are trustworthy, and they don't post too often.

I really hate seeing sellers who join just to sell something and then disappear. They have no credibility here, many come in expecting to sell at high prices since they only know the retail price that the DME charged, and some have cheated people here. Some of them post every day until their item is sold. This forum is here to help people, and seeing posts every day with for sale stuff takes away from that. Lately, we have had a LOT of new people here just to sell something, and it is getting worse.

I have no problem with somebody starting a new forum just to buy and sell CPAP equipment, and then post a weekly link to that forum.
How have people been cheated here?

If you mean by taking folks money and then not sending the product, or sending a product that doesn't match the description that's one thing.

But if you mean by charging a high price, that's not cheating someone if they willingly paid the price.

curious1

Post by curious1 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:27 pm

It wouldn't surprise me if half the stuff sold on this chat site is stolen equipment from sleep labs or DMEs. Someone working as a janitor, periodically stealing a machine or two from inventory for a little extra cash.

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:40 pm

curious1 wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if half the stuff sold on this chat site is stolen equipment from sleep labs or DMEs. Someone working as a janitor, periodically stealing a machine or two from inventory for a little extra cash.
Riiiiiiiiiight, cause there's such a HUGE market for fenced CPAP equipment...

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Sep 11, 2014 3:50 pm

curious1 wrote:It wouldn't surprise me if half the stuff sold on this chat site is stolen equipment from sleep labs or DMEs. Someone working as a janitor, periodically stealing a machine or two from inventory for a little extra cash.
I repeat my first question:

What's it to ya?

Who gives a rat's behind?
Are you the DME police"
What makes you think it's a "janitor".....that's actually an HONORABLE profession......and not the DMEs themselves, trying to make a buck off the "freebies" that the companies give away? These are hard times and getting harder. The rules have been changing and not for the better.

Personally, I don't believe this stuff should require a prescription anyway. Probably a conspiracy by the manufacturers to be able to charge more money for "medical" equipment.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:00 pm

No no the janitor is probably the most ethical person on site. It is work that is usually contracted out and that person is often bonded. Plus they usually actually do the work they are supposed to compared the the rest of the DME staff.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:20 pm

*hands out Janitor Benevolent Society membership cards to Den and Blackspinner*

The custodians of the world salute you.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:32 pm

palerider wrote:*hands out Janitor Benevolent Society membership cards to Den and Blackspinner*

Many years ago I did some of that kind of work (part-time) and have known many others in those professions.

But, the custodians, janitors and maintenance folks are the ones with all the keys hanging on their belts and can get into practically any room in the buildings. Who would they first come to suspect if things were missing? Consequently, those positions have to be beyond reproach and suspicion. Look at the other positions first.

Den

User since 05/14/05

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:37 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
palerider wrote:*hands out Janitor Benevolent Society membership cards to Den and Blackspinner*

Many years ago I did some of that kind of work (part-time) and have known many others in those professions.

But, the custodians, janitors and maintenance folks are the ones with all the keys hanging on their belts and can get into practically any room in the buildings. Who would they first come to suspect if things were missing? Consequently, those positions have to be beyond reproach and suspicion. Look at the other positions first.
indeed. +1

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SleepyEyes21

Post by SleepyEyes21 » Thu Sep 11, 2014 5:00 pm

Wulfman... wrote:

Den

I say the Butler did it, in the Parlor, with the Rope.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:12 pm

old dude wrote: How have people been cheated here?

If you mean by taking folks money and then not sending the product, or sending a product that doesn't match the description that's one thing.

But if you mean by charging a high price, that's not cheating someone if they willingly paid the price.
There have been people here who reported paying for something and never getting it. There was somebody selling a machine, and eventually, it was determined that at least 3 people had sent money to buy the same machine. I think a couple of them were able to file a claim with paypal and get their money back. Somebody else was selling some kind of mask liner that seemed very similar to pad-a-cheek. At least one person never got their order. Those are the the two that come to mind for people actually being cheated. Most of the posts are just annoying with overpriced bricks and old machines.

Either way, I don't see the need for it here, and it seems disrespectful to post items for sale here when this forum is provided by a business that sells cpap equipment. If it gets overrun by selling posts, we could end up with a fully moderated or cancelled forum. I would hate to see that happen. Much better to have a selling forum elsewhere that people can go to for that.

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:36 pm

zoocrewphoto wrote:it seems disrespectful to post items for sale here when this forum is provided by a business that sells cpap equipment.
I figure that if the folks running the forum cared, they'd discourage it, put something in the rules about "no selling cpap related items" delete posts, etc.

since they choose not to, I don't feel it's MY place to be a busybody and mind their business for them. they're quite capable of doing that themselves, it seems

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Thu Sep 11, 2014 6:42 pm

zoocrewphoto wrote:
old dude wrote: How have people been cheated here?

There have been people here who reported paying for something and never getting it. There was somebody selling a machine, and eventually, it was determined that at least 3 people had sent money to buy the same machine. I think a couple of them were able to file a claim with paypal and get their money back. Somebody else was selling some kind of mask liner that seemed very similar to pad-a-cheek. At least one person never got their order. Those are the the two that come to mind for people actually being cheated. Most of the posts are just annoying with overpriced bricks and old machines.

Either way, I don't see the need for it here, and it seems disrespectful to post items for sale here when this forum is provided by a business that sells cpap equipment. If it gets overrun by selling posts, we could end up with a fully moderated or cancelled forum. I would hate to see that happen. Much better to have a selling forum elsewhere that people can go to for that.
I agree with that first part. It's always seemed a little that way to me, too.
However.......
Some of the users and forum members have equipment they no longer want or use and offering it for sale to other forum members seems logical/reasonable to me. I've personally purchased two Respironics APAP machines and one CPAP machine and a couple of masks from forum members that were no longer wanted or needed for various reasons. I've also purchased (NEW) 3 APAP machines and 1 CPAP machine from CPAP.COM over the years.

There was also the separate CPAPAuction site that ran for quite awhile (by the owners of the forum) until one/some of the manufacturers managed to get it shut down. I purchased 4 CPAP machines from several sellers of that auction site. Most were practically brand new but older/out-dated models.

There IS a market for the used/unwanted equipment. It's going to get sold "somewhere".

Den

User since 05/14/05

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 11, 2014 7:46 pm

palerider wrote:I figure that if the folks running the forum cared, they'd discourage it, put something in the rules about "no selling cpap related items" delete posts, etc.

since they choose not to, I don't feel it's MY place to be a busybody and mind their business for them. they're quite capable of doing that themselves, it seems
FINALLY, something we can agree on