slept 4 hours, but now really tied

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Amers605

slept 4 hours, but now really tied

Post by Amers605 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:43 pm

I started using my machine last night. I slept for about four hours. I woke up about 3am and could not go back to sleep due to leakage. So I stopped using the it. I felt really good this morning, but this afternoon and now I feel so sleepy. Has anyone else experienced this?
How long did it take you to get use to cpap?

Julie

Re: slept 4 hours, but now really tied

Post by Julie » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:49 pm

Well if you slept without the mask for the last half of the night (or last third), you were most likely having apneas and therefore felt sleepy... not complicated.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Sep 10, 2014 5:54 pm

If you would take the time to fill in your equipment profile we might be able to give you some advice on how to fix the leaks. We need to know what machine and what mask you are using.

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:05 pm

To me your experience is fairly "normal"... er... what's NORMAL? though it's been a while, I remember a similar experience when starting out. My "ah-ha" morning was around day 18. I cannot remember at what point I got used to the mask/machine. Trust me... your body is fighting you similar to going on a diet or wearing a football helmet to bed. Your body is trying to talk you outta' of it. DO NOT GIVE IN! I have drifted off on naps and felt uncomfortable without my mask. I put my mask on at night and I probably go to sleep in 10 minutes. Don't worry, the day will come where your body will get used to cpap therapy and almost "demand" it. Finding a comfortable mask that doesn't leak is the key to success. Most folks go through several before finding their favorite. I went through around 6 or 7 masks.

Best wishes: Sheriff

Amers605

Post by Amers605 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:09 pm

LSAT wrote:If you would take the time to fill in your equipment profile we might be able to give you some advice on how to fix the leaks. We need to know what machine and what mask you are using.
I did.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:15 pm

Amers605 wrote:
LSAT wrote:If you would take the time to fill in your equipment profile we might be able to give you some advice on how to fix the leaks. We need to know what machine and what mask you are using.
I did.
probably not correctly, but it's not your fault, the equipment listing is *VERY* confusing.

remove the water tank and look on the bottom of the blower unit, in the upper left corner of the sticker, there's a REF number.... that's the model number, what is it?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SleepyEyes21

Post by SleepyEyes21 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 6:33 pm

Amers605 wrote:I started using my machine last night. I slept for about four hours. I woke up about 3am and could not go back to sleep due to leakage. So I stopped using the it. I felt really good this morning, but this afternoon and now I feel so sleepy. Has anyone else experienced this?
How long did it take you to get use to cpap?
Hi Amers - welcome to the forum I am also new to cpap; I am about 2 weeks into treatment. For the first week, I was very sleepy in the afternoons even after a full night's sleep with cpap. I take naps when tired if I can, and do use the machine for naps most of the time. Some PAP'ers on this forum will say to use the machine for EVERY nap; I am okay with not using it periodically, especially since I am trying to get used to all of this.

Now - I actually look forward to using the cpap as I know I will likely wake up feeling rested, which is great since I wasn't getting that for so long I used a full face mask (Quattro) for the first two nights, however, found that I could not move at all due to leaks occurring. I can't tell from the pic of your mask, but it looks like its a hard plastic. You might want to try a softer style mask with either a cloth frame or a gel type mask. Once you find a really comfortable mask, you may not have trouble with using your cpap longer.
I think of getting used to cpap as a process - everybody will experience it differently depending on comfort preferences.

Hang in there - I think you are off to a great start!

Sheriff Buford

Post by Sheriff Buford » Thu Sep 11, 2014 4:41 am

What is your AHI and leak rates? Do you look at them?

Sheriff

Amers605

Post by Amers605 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:07 pm

palerider wrote:
Amers605 wrote:
I did.
probably not correctly, but it's not your fault, the equipment listing is *VERY* confusing.

remove the water tank and look on the bottom of the blower unit, in the upper left corner of the sticker, there's a REF number.... that's the model number, what is it?
there is a number on the sticker that says System one htd humid. DO M the ref # DS6HFLG
and a sticker that says REMstar SE, DOM the ref # 220P

Amers605

Post by Amers605 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:08 pm

Sheriff Buford wrote:What is your AHI and leak rates? Do you look at them?

Sheriff
No, not sure I know how to. Is this with the Sleepyhead site I have heard about?

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:22 pm

there is a number on the sticker that says System one htd humid. DO M the ref # DS6HFLG
They gave you about the cheapest piece of crap they make. You'll NEVER be able to tell how your therapy is working with that thing.

If you've had it for less than 30 days, I'd suggest trying to see if you can get it swapped out for a 460P (the "Pro" model).

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Amers605

Post by Amers605 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:28 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
They gave you about the cheapest piece of crap they make. You'll NEVER be able to tell how your therapy is working with that thing.

If you've had it for less than 30 days, I'd suggest trying to see if you can get it swapped out for a 460P (the "Pro" model).

Den

I doubt that I could. It is better than no machine. I have ObamaCare - through Cal-Optma Medi-CAl. When it is free through the government, you get crap.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:38 pm

Amers605 wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:

Den

I doubt that I could. It is better than no machine. I have ObamaCare - through Cal-Optma Medi-CAl. When it is free through the government, you get crap.
Ooooooooooh.........

Well, hang in there and use some intuition to try to figure out your problems. Yes, it can take awhile to get used to this therapy. If you find yourself taking the mask off, put it back on and keep trying. If you're using a higher humidifier setting, maybe try a lower setting (or Off). Keep trying tweaks until you get it figured out.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:49 pm

Amers605 wrote: I doubt that I could. It is better than no machine. I have ObamaCare - through Cal-Optma Medi-CAl. When it is free through the government, you get crap.
without getting into any debates about the value of the affordable care act, I'll just point out that it's quite common for ALL DME's to try and screw over the customer by giving them pieces of crap, because typically, they get reimbursed the same amount whether they give you a crap one like they did you, or the best in class... they get the same amount from most insurance plans, so they shaft you to maximize profits.

you'll never know until you go back and raise a stink.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Sep 19, 2014 5:57 pm

palerider wrote:
Amers605 wrote: I doubt that I could. It is better than no machine. I have ObamaCare - through Cal-Optma Medi-CAl. When it is free through the government, you get crap.
without getting into any debates about the value of the affordable care act, I'll just point out that it's quite common for ALL DME's to try and screw over the customer by giving them pieces of crap, because typically, they get reimbursed the same amount whether they give you a crap one like they did you, or the best in class... they get the same amount from most insurance plans, so they shaft you to maximize profits.

you'll never know until you go back and raise a stink.
I agree. You never know until you try.

Den

User since 05/14/05