Dry Throat

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
AlabamaAl

Dry Throat

Post by AlabamaAl » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:02 am

Newbie on the hose, two weeks in.

Diagnosed with AHI of 127, pressure of 15 low, 20 high prescribed.

I have been 100% compliant with my machine, but am having a problem with getting the humidifier settings adjusted correctly. Some nights I get plenty of moisture, but most nights I waken 5 or 6 times a night feeling like a camel train has been tromping across my tonsils. I have started using Biotin throat spray, which helps a little, but still does not provide total relief from the dry throat, I have tried to up the settings on the humidifier, but when too high, I get sickening warm air, and the tank runs dry in the middle of the night, wakening me to that horrible feeling of sand fleas jumping across my tonsils once again...

I suspect that the inconsistency, of humidifier output has something to do with the humidity of the air being drawn into the machine changing with the weather. I have ordered an ultrasonic humidifier in hopes that regulating the room humidity will help with machine output. My question is, has anyone else had this problem, and what did you do to solve it? I realize that the pressure is high on the machine, but it has brought my AHI from 127 to an average of 2.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

Al from Alabama

Julie

Re: Dry Throat

Post by Julie » Mon Sep 08, 2014 5:26 am

Even though you have a FF mask, you might want to try taping your lips as well (painter's blue is less traumatic) to see if it helps.

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:09 am

I agree with Julie, a nasal mask or nasal pillows might be worth trying too. Hopefully you can learn to nose breathe, which can need less humidity.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 6:32 am

You have a 60 series machine. Are you using the optional heated hose or the regular hose?
If in doubt the heated hose has a black end on it where it attaches to the humidifier?
The heated hose would let you add more moisture without adding as much heat so the air wouldn't be quite so muggy feeling.

The problem though is the mouth breathing. The oral cavity just is too big for the humidifier to adequately replenish the moisture lost by mouth breathing for some people. Is the mouth breathing from a physical need (severe nasal congestion that you can't get improved) or just habit?

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

AlabamaAl

Post by AlabamaAl » Mon Sep 08, 2014 10:39 am

Julie wrote:Even though you have a FF mask, you might want to try taping your lips as well (painter's blue is less traumatic) to see if it helps.

I don't know how well tape, and my soup strainer (mustash) and tape would get along. Ive had it for over thirty years, and would hate to part with it. I am not a bad mouth breather, just wanted the full mask in case I get a sinus infection, or a winter cold. I have adapted to it well, it is just the rush of air down my throat that seems to dry it out.

Thanks for the suggestion.

By the way, my ex wife wanted to tape my mouth shut many times, due to my rafter rattling snoring...

AlabamaAl

Post by AlabamaAl » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:21 am

Pugsy wrote:You have a 60 series machine. Are you using the optional heated hose or the regular hose?
If in doubt the heated hose has a black end on it where it attaches to the humidifier?
The heated hose would let you add more moisture without adding as much heat so the air wouldn't be quite so muggy feeling.

The problem though is the mouth breathing. The oral cavity just is too big for the humidifier to adequately replenish the moisture lost by mouth breathing for some people. Is the mouth breathing from a physical need (severe nasal congestion that you can't get improved) or just habit?
Since the Doc did not specifically request a heated hose option, my machine did not come with the heated hose option. I don't know if they would let me add this option without his request. (the humidifier would most likely have to be exchanged for the heated hose to have a place to plug in.) Wouldn't a heated hose cause the air to become warmer?

I am not a heavy mouth breather, but requested the full face mask because to me it was comfortable. I also figured it would be more adaptable to times of sinus congestion than a nose mask. I had several relatives that quit using their cpap machines because of problems with a nose mask, so I was attempting to avoid the problems they complained about; leaks every time they moved, congestion, pressure blown out of the mouth, etc.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 08, 2014 11:38 am

No need to get a totally new humidifier if you wanted to use a heated hose. Upgrade kits are available and I am sure the DMEs also having them and no there is no need for a special RX for it.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-hea ... e-kit.html

And no, just because you have a heated hose it doesn't mean that the air is automatically a lot warmer. The nice thing about the heated hose is that you can customize both the amount of moisture to be delivered as well as the temperature of the air.
Meaning you can use more humidity and less temperature if you wish.
See this
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-sys ... ifier.html

The default setting for the 60 series machine without the heated hose is for "new system one humidification" and this mode doesn't offer as much moisture into the air but with the heated hose you can add more moisture without causing condensation.
Now you can switch off the new humidification system mode and revert back to classic mode and get more moisture that way but the chances of rain out (condensation in the mask or hose) are increased.

I mentioned the heated hose because of its ability to customize the humidity delivered. It may or may not resolve your issues with dry mouth because sometimes the mouth just dries out more and the humidifier simply can't add back in enough moisture to fix the issue. The heated hose is something that might help...might not too. It all depends on how much mouth breathing gets done and how dry the mouth is and maybe just your general hydration level along with any meds you might be taking that tend to make a person dry.

The heated hose doesn't make the air really, really warm unless the ambient air temperature in the bedroom is already fairly warm.
See that link above as it explains it. You can have a low temperature setting along with a high humidity setting if you wish.
Just a way to customize things a little bit to maybe offer some relief.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

AlabamaAl

Post by AlabamaAl » Mon Sep 08, 2014 12:00 pm

Thanks Pugsy,

I will definitely be looking into one of these add on kits. It might not help, but would certainly be worth a try. My goal is to sleep soundly the whole night, not just for an hour or two at a time.

englandsf

Post by englandsf » Mon Sep 08, 2014 1:05 pm

Al

You may be able to reduce your humidity needs a lot with nose breathing instead of mouth. The masks are also a lot less intrusive. Thought of trying one (P10 gets my vote).

AlabamaAl

Post by AlabamaAl » Mon Sep 15, 2014 6:02 am

Thought I'd give an update on my struggle with dry throat issues.

I purchased a cool air mist room humidifier, and run it on high nightly. This helps tremendously, even though it has not completely eliminated the condition. It seems the added humidity keeps the water in the machine from blowing hot air. I like cool, moist air coming from the hose.

Still using the Bioteen spray nightly.

I have contacted my DME about adding the heated hose option. Was told that this was a prescription item, and could not be sold without one. They are working with the doc, and insurance company to get one approved... This could take a while. The wheels of medical equipment turns slowly.. If I have to get a prescription anyway, might as well let the insurance company pay their part as well.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:39 am

AlabamaAl wrote:I have contacted my DME about adding the heated hose option. Was told that this was a prescription item, and could not be sold without one.
That's a load of crap.
https://www.cpap.com/productpage/pr-hea ... e-kit.html

You can buy it any day of the week from any number of online sellers without a RX.
Besides, it should be covered under the RX for cpap machine and heated humidifier anyway. It's part of that equipment.

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:16 am

AlabamaAl wrote:I have contacted my DME about adding the heated hose option. Was told that this was a prescription item, and could not be sold without one.
this is, what we in the biz call, a lie.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

AlabamaAl

Post by AlabamaAl » Mon Sep 15, 2014 8:39 am

Funny thing, got a statement from the insurance. They are paying for the machine, but denying the humidifier(without heated hose option). They claim the humidifier was not Pre approved.... I guess the DME, and the insurance company will have to battle that one out...

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Mon Sep 15, 2014 11:56 am

Weird about the insurance and the heated humidifier. It used to be that way 7 - 10 years ago, but humidification has been determined to be an essential part of this therapy since then.

With regard to the dry mouth issue, warm, humid air can actually cause the nasal passages to close up and the result can be mouth-breathing (you have to get the air in somewhere).

I can't stand the warm humidity and turned off my humidifier (and actually disconnected the power to it from the machine) so I can use "passover" (cool) humidification all year round......water in the tank but no heat.

It helps keep my nasal passages open. I also do nasal cleansing before bed so I can be sure I can breathe through my nose before I start my machine.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

AlabamaAl

Post by AlabamaAl » Mon Sep 15, 2014 12:04 pm

Wulfman... wrote:Weird about the insurance and the heated humidifier. It used to be that way 7 - 10 years ago, but humidification has been determined to be an essential part of this therapy since then.

With regard to the dry mouth issue, warm, humid air can actually cause the nasal passages to close up and the result can be mouth-breathing (you have to get the air in somewhere).

I can't stand the warm humidity and turned off my humidifier (and actually disconnected the power to it from the machine) so I can use "passover" (cool) humidification all year round......water in the tank but no heat.

It helps keep my nasal passages open. I also do nasal cleansing before bed so I can be sure I can breathe through my nose before I start my machine.

Den

This is Alabama, where we are use to being ten years behind the times....