device for awakening arousals

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
archangle

Re: device for awakening arousals

Post by archangle » Fri Sep 12, 2014 3:42 am

Chris, are you using SleepyHead or ResScan to read the data your machine records?

It's not exactly what you're asking about, but it can tell you a lot.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Fri Sep 12, 2014 5:19 am

Day_Dreamer wrote:
chris677 wrote: I drink 5 coffe a day before 2 pm and about 3-4 cofe without cafeine on the evening.

Damn! Eight to nine coffees per day???? You are totally destroying any chance of sleeping well.

You don't need a damn "device". You need to taper the coffee down to one cup in the morning.

All other analysis and advice given here is worthless until you beat the caffeine addiction.

ChicagoGramps

chris677

Post by chris677 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:51 am

Hello

Yes i use resmed log (rescan?) or sleepyhead (all two).i have post here my stats
viewtopic/t100544/my-ppc-and-stats.html

No i drink MAX 5 real coffe with cafeine per day the others are only without cafeine.
and real coffe with cafeine,1 or 2 is at home and the 4 or 3 other are at work with "industrials" device (coffe distributors)

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Sep 12, 2014 8:55 am

chris677 wrote:Hello

Yes i use resmed or sleepyhead (all two).

No i drink MAX 5 real coffe with cafeine per day the others are only without cafeine.
and real coffe with cafeine,1 or 2 is at home and the 4 or 3 other are at work with "industrials" device (coffe distributors)
chris677,

As an FYI, even 5 coffees may still be too much. You might want to consider tapering that to see if it makes a difference with your sleep. CGR made a good suggestion to go down to 1.

49er

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:15 am

chris677 wrote:I drink 5 coffe a day before 2 pm and about 3-4 cofe without cafeine on the evening.
Chris, decaf coffee still contains caffeine. Could be enough to disrupt your sleep.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Sep 12, 2014 9:37 am

Jay Aitchsee wrote:
chris677 wrote:I drink 5 coffe a day before 2 pm and about 3-4 cofe without cafeine on the evening.
Chris, decaf coffee still contains caffeine. Could be enough to disrupt your sleep.
he's french, maybe they're immune

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chris677

Post by chris677 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:17 am

yes will try to reduce.but it's hard : when we are tired we have tendancy to drink more coffe

CowFish

Post by CowFish » Fri Sep 12, 2014 10:32 am

chris677 wrote:yes will try to reduce.but it's hard : when we are tired we have tendancy to drink more coffe

Consuming caffeine ruins your sleep and ruined sleep will make you tired the next day. Caffeine half life is longer than most people expect.

Good idea to get down to only once cup per day and it should be consumed latest by the midday meal. Taper off gradually to avoid withdrawal headache.

Be careful of other sources of caffeine - tea, sodas, chocolate.

Lots of good suggestions in this thread including download SleepyHead software so you can check if your therapy is working well.

All the best.

chris677

Post by chris677 » Fri Sep 12, 2014 11:44 am

yes i will go down gradually because i have withdrawals 3 about 1 week and next 1.

Here is how my sleep look like :

a bit vocabulary
a few vocabulary
leak = Fuites
pressure = pression
time of use = utilisation
AHI = IAH

My leak has go up in the last two days.Can leak cause apnea when occassionally go > 25l/min as i have usually have in a night.
Is this acceptable leak ? What can cause this ?
Which is the best nasal mask beetween esson and mirage fx ?
I find esson more small and more confortable

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Sat Sep 13, 2014 5:23 am

Chris, it looks like your machine needs to take you to nearly 11cmH2O to rid you of obstructive apneas. Since your minimum is around 4.0, it requires a fairly large pressure change to do that. Some people find these large changes disturbing. I recommend you increase your minimum to 8 or 9, and see if that results in fewer disturbances. Unfortunately, higher pressure could result in greater leaks as well, which also could be disturbing, but I would increase the mimimum pressure first and then work on the leaks, if need be.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Sat Sep 13, 2014 8:07 am

Jay Aitchsee wrote: I recommend you increase your minimum to 8 or 9, and see if that results in fewer disturbances.
Yes, I would set minimum to 8 and observe the data. Depending on the data you might need to bump it to 9.

4 is just too low.

I predict Chris will see a big improvement in how he feels once he finishes his caffeine tapering.

chris677

Post by chris677 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 4:56 am

Hello

You're right : my minimale pressure was too low.I 've tried at minimum 8 and all seems to be ok and the leak has left (incredible).My AIH was about 1.6/h this night. But i have to done more nights to see.I think if i set the pressure to 9 it will be better but for the time i will wait and see.

The only problem i had is my aerophagia seems to be a bit worth and would like to solve it.
My epr setting :epr fulltime, epr = 2.

what does the expiration pressure means ? is this 2 cm^2 from ACTUAL or minimum pressure (8-2=6) ?
Futhermore i means my pressure go to high, perhaps if i set to 10 , all is ok : i have few apnea at 10 pressure (or 11).

I will change nothing for the moment and post after 2 or 3 nights but i'm thinking to solve the problem in lowering the high pressure or change the epr but i don't knwo what impact on AHI.

THANKS FOR YOUR HELP

archangle

Post by archangle » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:07 am

I suggest everyone occasionally completely stop caffeine for at least a few weeks and let your system clear out.

Long term caffeine users tend to grow dependent and may no longer get the effect from caffeine. You may feel better once you recover. Once you completely withdraw, if you go back to using caffeine, you may find it works better for a while.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

chris677

Post by chris677 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:13 am

Yes thanks, i'm trying to drink fewer coffer but i'm a gradually go down with paxil so 2 withdrawls is a bit hard.
I have stop decafeine and limit for the moment to 4 coffe per day and the latest after the afternoon lunch.

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Mon Sep 15, 2014 5:57 am

chris677 wrote:My epr setting :epr fulltime, epr = 2.what does the expiration pressure means ? is this 2 cm^2 from ACTUAL or minimum pressure (8-2=6) ?
Chris, epr is Epiratory Pressure Relief http://www.resmed.com/int/patients_and_ ... c=patients It is for comfort. It lowers the pressure at the start of exhale, based on the setting, by 1, 2, or 3 cm below the inhale pressure . Some people do better with it, some do better without it.

It sounds as though you are making progress with your settings. I agree you should now leave them for a few nights and see what develops.