device for awakening arousals

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chris677

Re: device for awakening arousals

Post by chris677 » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:22 am

Yes thanks. I have saw another link.The pressure with epr go down with actual pressure.

But any questions : why sleep doc i've seen two times doesn't do a change of setting ( the first time i understood because he change me the device to resmed) ?

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Mon Sep 15, 2014 7:42 am

why sleep doc i've seen two times doesn't do a change of setting
I don't have anything nice to say about doctors this morning, so just let me say this.

Sleep doctors are good for ordering sleep studies and giving you a prescription for a CPAP and a starting pressure. Then the doctor becomes nearly worthless and it is best for you to use the software to find your optimal pressure. That is what you are now doing.

chris677

Post by chris677 » Wed Sep 17, 2014 9:49 pm

Hello

questions for Jay Aitchsee :
- what did you set a narrow range and especially a max ?
- can we download data with zeo on pc without going through the phone ?
- can did you wear on the zeo head band with cpap mask ?
- i would like to me sure if there are awakenings stats but i think yes because there is red line ?

I'm back. My AIH is go done a half with 8-9 pressure.
The first 3 nights (since sunday) i have a min pressure of 8. I'm tappering off slowly paxil and it's not easy.
first night AIH of 1.6 I wake up early in the morning because of withdrawl of tappering off. the next night i was really tired of my bad night so my aih go up to 3.6. The night after AIH of 1.6 (because i have a good night before) but this night i have thing my aih will rise since i have again a bad night : i've thing what to set the min to 9 to see what happen when i'm tired : so my aih this night was 1.5 and i'm really happy with this aih index.

Now i know min pressure must be set to 8 on normal conditions and 9 if i want to go through all conditions (really tired when last night was bad).

furthermore i take anxiliotic since one week and half for tappering off paxil.I don't seems to have negative effect on aih or leak but perhaps i will see when i 'll stop it.

Leak don't seems to drop up

I don't know if i had to correct leak (nb : since sunday i have turn the min pressure from 4 to 8 , seems it be in good ways for aih but will see before do change )

Here is my leak = fuites

the last night : i was awake this night with sweating on 00:30

stats before this night

Leaks seems to be > 25 when pressure > 10 or 11 : a bit snoring too or is this simply mouth leak that make noise ?
indices de ronflement = snore

But not always :

and before my pressure min change (i didn't see change in leak (up or down) with pressure change)

I constat my leak is on the first half of night, when the pressure is > 10 or 11 but not sure this is perhaps because i'm lying back and the snoring a bit.I have no awake except this night with sweating on 00:30

what i would do for step :
- tennis ball on back t shirt to not lying back
- max pressure of 10 or 11 and try
- chin strap
- do nothing
- i haven't humdifiier don't know if can serve
is a chin strap dangerous if we need to breathe and we cannot with the nose for any or other reasons

thanks to all !

Last edited by chris677 on Thu Sep 18, 2014 4:54 am, edited 1 time in total.

MaxDarkside

Post by MaxDarkside » Wed Sep 17, 2014 10:04 pm

I believe technically an "arousal" is anything that causes you to move upward in sleep stages and few if any necessitate an awakening. My wife has alpha wave intrusions that cause about 250 arousals/hr (yes, sadly you read that right). The only way to measure them is with brain wave analysis by an expert in a sleep study. That means sleep studies and a good doctor's advice. My wife takes a cocktail of drugs to try to improve her sleep. I won't say what they are as they require a doctor's consult and prescriptions to do it right. The Zeo I have gives an indication but only if I archive the waves in real-time during sleep using software I wrote and looked at them the next day. I ran it on my wife and it looked as though she was being tortured. The medications she's on help. At least she dreams now.

In the meantime, like others said, I'd suggest you cut the afternoon "decaf" coffee for sure and taper back gradually on the smoking. I smoked for decades, slowly tapered over a year or three, quit a year ago August 1st and then switched to gum and now tapering that. If you continue to be fatigued and you think it may be arousals then I suggest you make another doctor's appt.

My 2 cents.

Do or Die... Sleep Apnea killed me, but I came back. Click for my story
Please visit my My Apnea Analytics blog. Maybe we can help each other.
54 yrs, 6' 1", 160->172 lbs

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:23 am

Chris, would you include your events (evenements) graph in your posting so we can see where they are occurring compared to the leaks?
What mask are you using? Please include in your signature.
I think your leaks are probably disturbing you. They are not terrible, but large enough to be disturbing. If you are wearing a nasal mask (not full face) they are probably mouth leaks. A chin strap might help. A chin strap keeps your jaw closed, but does not prevent breathing through the mouth if your nose is plugged so they are not dangerous.
chris677 wrote:questions for Jay Aitchsee :- what did you set a narrow range and especially a max ?
- can we download data with zeo on pc without going through the phone ?
- can did you wear on the zeo head band with cpap mask ?
- i would like to me sure if there are awakenings stats but i think yes because there is red line ?
I chose my pressures so that my events would be minimized while keeping the average pressure as low as possible while keeping the difference small to minimize disturbances from the change in pressure, About 2 cm
Do you have a Zeo now? A Bedside model can be downloaded to the PC. A mobile model needs a phone.
A Zeo headband can be worn with a cpap mask
I am not sure of your question about awakening stats and red line, but, as I said, I think your leaks are probably disturbing you.

I don't think tennis balls will work. If they do, they just wake you up so your sleep is disturbed anyway. You might try wedging pillows against your back to prevent rolling on to your back.

You might try a full face mask.

Now that you know that you need around 11 cm pressure, you might try fixed CPAP at 10 to see if that is more comfortable and less disturbing than auto.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Sep 18, 2014 5:29 am

Chin straps are flexible, stretchy, and if you really wanted to open your mouth you could, no question.

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Thu Sep 18, 2014 6:12 am

Julie wrote:Chin straps are flexible, stretchy, and if you really wanted to open your mouth you could, no question.
Yes and you don't even have to open your mouth to breathe or leak through it. Try this right now. Clench your teeth together. Open your lips and breathe through them. Easy eh?

Chin straps work for a few people (or so they say), but most of us get better therapy with a full face mask.

chris677

Post by chris677 » Thu Sep 18, 2014 8:59 am

Thansk to all for answers.

I'will probably buy a chin strap since i m not fear yet on cannot breathe with it.

No i would try pressure MAX 10-11. I think my current pressure is ok.

Leak are not severe but and i don't wake up with this (each time this night) but i think it can hide apnea or since there are in first step of the best profound sleep than destroy it.

What i have would like is a perfect graphs since in my sleep study i have an AIH = 3 time the AIH of cpap

Jay Aitchsee

Post by Jay Aitchsee » Thu Sep 18, 2014 10:34 am

Good luck!
Let us know how you do.

chris677

Post by chris677 » Fri Sep 19, 2014 6:29 am

Hello

this morning just too much aerophagia and evil on belly.Horrible !

I will try to set max pressure on 10.hope this help and furthermore i didn't think i have need to have a pressure > 10 or 10.5 to prevent apnea but will see.

archangle

Post by archangle » Sat Sep 20, 2014 1:40 am

chris677 wrote:Hello

this morning just too much aerophagia and evil on belly.Horrible !
There's a link to a youtube video about eliminating aerophagia in my signature line links.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

chris677

Post by chris677 » Thu Sep 25, 2014 11:54 am

Hello

So i have tried many thing the best for me is min pressure with 9 and epr with 3.Before i have epr = 2.

When i change epr to 3 my leak as drasly go down,i don't expect this !

here is my results

the last thing to solve is a bit aeorophagia, thanks for you link archangle i will try , just wonder if it will not raise ahi
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-65JWNBttnE

My doc has prescribe to me melatonine to have a refresh night, but i don't know if it will work.I will try this week end.have yoju any link of this ?

I often read on this forum "when disturbed sleep" but the disturbed sleep can be unconscious or conscious. how to know without a good device for arousals or awakening.

thanks to all

Todzo

Post by Todzo » Thu Sep 25, 2014 1:55 pm

chris677 wrote:Hello

I would like to know if a device can count and monitor awakening arousals ?
There is other awakening arousals not link to AHI

Thanks
look into EEG (perhaps open eeg) and the latest research dealing with OSA and arousal detected by heart rate variability
May any shills trolls sockpuppets or astroturfers at cpaptalk.com be like chaff before the wind!