device for awakening arousals

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chris677

device for awakening arousals

Post by chris677 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 8:53 am

Hello

I would like to know if a device can count and monitor awakening arousals ?
There is other awakening arousals not link to AHI

Thanks

Julie

Re: device for awakening arousals

Post by Julie » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:33 am

Can you be a little more specific? What are you really trying to find out? I get the feeling you're not just asking about apneas. What other conditions are you concerned about?

Apneas may 'arouse' you in your sleep, but not 'awaken' you so that you're conscious of it. And if you're on a machine then it will count the apneas you have, but hopefully do its job and stop them before they waken or arouse you.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:47 am

Are you asking about a device that will tell you when or if you woke up or had an arousal (no matter what the cause) during the night?
There are some that sort of do that but they aren't exact. For exact arousal documentation you need EEG brain wave lead detection.
The Zeo did a decent enough job but it is no longer in production. There are a few others out now that can give a sort of idea but nothing that is extremely accurate. I don't remember the names of the "evaluate sleep devices" but maybe some of the other forum members are more familiar with them than I am.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Fri Sep 05, 2014 10:16 am

---and the Japanese have a stuffed bear that will tap your face if you snore.
-really!

chris677

Post by chris677 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:07 am

sorry : yes i would like to have a device for arousals because i have more arousals than apean and hyponpnea and i find my cpap does partially correct my apnea

sorry for my bad english but i'm not.

After one year and half of CPAP, i have always trouble with fatigue and fatigue worsen.

March 2013 :Before CPAP i have done a poly (sleep study) in hospital i have
- an iah of 24.8/h (whose hypopnea of 21.7/h)
-17 acrousals awakening/ h.
-No restleg syndrom (or periodic movement)
-I've been on 10 mg deroxat (an antidrepressant with paroxetine - paxil i mean in other country).

i have a remstar with autopilot beetween pression 4-14 .nothing wrong and good compliance with the night of 8h but don't see full effect.

July 2013 : deroxat - paxil 30 mg. i have to increase at this level and i'm since here.

August 2014 i have done a poly (sleep study) in hospital with Cpap : i have
- an iah of 9.3/h (whose hypopnea of 9/h)
-14.5 acrousals awakening/ h.
-I've been on 30 mg deroxat.
- restleg syndrom (or periodic movement of 7.1/h but only 1h

my doc change my device to resmed s9 because he think algorithm is better (my pneumo has first give me the remstar).autopilot 4-16
No improve since one week.

I ask me why acrousals awakening/ h has go down very few with cpap treatment and the same with IAH.

I would like the link with the increase of paxil : give paxil arousals awakening ? My doc say he give periodic movement.
Actually i go down with paxil by 5 mg step by step but really wondering if this is the cause or not.

can paxil and antidepressants in general give more 1/ hypopnea ? 2/ more awakening arousals ?

in which case do we have a fix pression ? with hypopnea ?

Furthermore this night of sleep study my cpap give a iah of 3.5/h whereas the sleep study is 9/h : why is iah 3 times more than cpap give ?

thanks very much

Day_Dreamer

Post by Day_Dreamer » Fri Sep 05, 2014 11:29 am

chunkyfrog wrote:---and the Japanese have a stuffed bear that will tap your face if you snore.
-really!

I've had something similar for 20 years...

I call her Debra

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:09 pm

How many hours of sleep using the cpap machine are you averaging?
Are those hours you do sleep fragmented with many wake ups? If so, any idea why?

Do you take any medications, even OTC? If yes...what are they. Are you now taking Paxil? Anything else?

What machine are you using...it would help us know what is available to you in terms of data availability to verify that what goes along with that AHI of 3 you have is valid...like making sure leaks aren't a problem.

Sometimes other stuff affects how we feel during the day. Not all our problems can be blamed on OSA and the cpap machine only fixes sleep apnea problems. It won't/can't fix problems that we have that are because of some other issue.
There are a lot of different sleep disorders out there besides OSA.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

chris677

Post by chris677 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:30 pm

I sleep at last 8 hours with cpap on, 10h if i'm not working.
I have no wake up in the night, no consciencous awakening.
No other medications OTC but i means i will try magnesium and oil fish to help to have a better sleep.

YES I AM ON PAXIL but reduce it since my doc say to me it give period movement of feet PLS (?) and can give more disturbed sleep.
When i take fewer paxil last years , my sleep study show no PLS and similar arousals/hours WITHOUT CPAP.

My machine is resmed s9 since one week and half and before remstar since 1 years and half (the sleep doc say to me he prefer resmed).
the only secondary effect is aerophagie but better with resmed.

I drink 5 coffe a day before 2 pm and about 3-4 cofe without cafeine on the evening.
I smoke 1 box a day

i 'm more tired in the morning than evening

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:38 pm

Paxil could possibly be a factor in the fatigue or tiredness and less alertness you are feeling in the AM.
Drowsiness and fatigue are known side effects.

Caffeine and cigarettes also will affect the quality of our sleep in general.

If you have PLMD (legs, feet moving around a lot) that can also impact the quality of sleep.

Anything that can affect our sleep quality in turn affects how we feel the next day. Even if we are sleeping soundly.

stage0

Post by stage0 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 12:57 pm

There is an app for that....lol

The motion detector of your smart phone will detect movement through the night.....so.....search for any app that will measure that. Just remember that it picks up ANY movement: you and your spouse.
this will give you a rough idea as to the number of aousals you seek. Actual arousals from sleep are best seen in the EEG part of the sleep study. Not all arousals transfer to body movement.

The more expensive device is an actigraph used in home sleep studies. It is usually a device worn on the wrist.

Day_Dreamer

Post by Day_Dreamer » Fri Sep 05, 2014 2:21 pm

chris677 wrote: I drink 5 coffe a day before 2 pm and about 3-4 cofe without cafeine on the evening.
I smoke 1 box a day
5 is way too much. I was doing the same. It is a bad cycle we sleep bad and the next day we are tired so we have lots of coffee and we sleep bad and the next day we have lots of coffee and we....

Try cutting down a bit

I am not saying that this is the cause. It is usually one of the contributing factors to poor sleep.
I also stopped smoking as the constant coughing was causing arousals
If you need to have nicotine try Vapeing. Much better for the throat

chris677

Post by chris677 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:32 am

thanks very much.

I 'm trying to reduce my antidepressants for see if i would get better and less fatigue.
My fatigue is far intense and i suspect antidepressant to be the cause and would like to monitor.

I have order a watch wrist to see how many awake i have but no sure there is a good device. I will try and check when i've done a sleep study at home.

Other idea ?

Julie

Post by Julie » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:42 am

Don't go off the Paxil by yourself - dangerous! Ask your doctor to give you a plan to taper off slowly... how much to take when, etc. until you're down or off.

chris677

Post by chris677 » Wed Sep 10, 2014 8:44 am

yes thanks for you advertissements you're right.I have check with the doctor and we made togheter a plan to go slowly down.But it's hard enough to go slowly.i wake up 1hours before my time.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Sep 10, 2014 10:28 am

[quote="Day_Dreamer . . . I've had something similar for 20 years...
I call her Debra [/quote]

If we are lucky, our spouse/partner will try that, for what little good it would do
I suspect my son's ex would just roll over and hope he didn't resume breathing at all.