Interesting Insurance Surprise

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Re: Interesting Insurance Surprise

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:09 am

fdw wrote:So, I think it's in my best interest to stick with the S9, but my TECH head says gamble on the S10.
May I make the point that when it comes to medical equipment I would not recommend the newby get something new that ...
1. could have problems.
2. no one else will be familiar enuff to help.
3. should a problem develop it can be frustrating trying to get a repair under warranty, unless you have a backup, well even then it can be frustrating but at least you will have therapy.

If you are experienced AND already have a backup machine by all means give it a go but never risk you health to try something new.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 8:26 am

fdw wrote:So, I think it's in my best interest to stick with the S9, but my TECH head says gamble on the S10.
The AirSense is coming from a regular DME using your insurance to pay for it. Is that correct? If something happens technically with the new machine they (DME) would be handling the return and getting a new unit if need be and they normally will offer a loaner but since you already have a really good back up machine....not a critical issue.
Getting it from a DME isn't as much of a PITA as buying it online and having to ship it back and wait and all that. Most of the time if a machine develops problems and a DME is involved they just swap it out with current stock and they send it back and they get another replacement if that's what is needed. You don't have to wait weeks to get your machine back.
It's part of the reason they get the big bucks for a machine that can be bought online for quite a bit less...just part of the service they are supposed to offer.

You might ask your supplier exactly what they would do in the event the new technology machine decided to go bad on you.
Might ease your mind a little...or make the decision for you.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:10 am

Pugsy wrote: And palerider...don't try to get me to do the linux thing...it ain't gonna happen. I am too old and too stuck in my ways to go down that road. Like I have said many times...I want or don't want....whatever... is a real good reason for me.
I what? I ... don't remember being evangelical about the wonders of free software

I could, should you change your mind

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:20 am

Pugsy wrote: . . . but I don't know how the guys feel about getting a machine with flowers all over it. . . .
There is always camo duck tape.
--at least until (if) Skinit releases skins for it.

herefishy

Post by herefishy » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:30 pm

We just go a new windows 7 computer - there are still a jillion of them out there. Hopefully I will never need to learn win 8.

fdw

Post by fdw » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:07 pm

This thread was all for NOT........Just got word that my Insurance does NOT and will NOT cover any CPAP supplies, equipment, re-titration study, or sleep study....it's simply not in my plan

So Im back on my own AGAIN
ResMed AirSense S10 Autoset (Ins. Pur. 3/16/2016)
AutoCPAP 10-15 EPR 1.0 (Latest Sleep Study 3-7-16)
Started CPAP March 1995 with a pressure of 11.0

tortoisegirl

Post by tortoisegirl » Thu Sep 04, 2014 9:20 pm

Boo. Sorry you had to get your hopes up for nothing. They have so many plans that all sound the same but each actually cover different things. I can't believe they are allowed to have plans that don't cover DME. There is plenty of equipment even more expensive than CPAP that folks need. I don't get why they wouldn't cover sleep studies though? And how they are allowed to? Thats similar to saying they wouldn't cover an MRI! Best wishes.

sleeplessinaz

Post by sleeplessinaz » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:09 pm

I say go for the newer machine! I am looking at the for her version of the S10. It looks cool too. I have Apria - and have NEVER EVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THEM AT ALL. I wish everyone would stop bashing Apria.

APAP setting is 6 to 12
HH 2.5
Side Sleeper
HypoThyroidism & Diabetes
New Airsense autoset 12/08/14

Semily

Post by Semily » Thu Sep 04, 2014 10:16 pm

palerider wrote:
Guest wrote:
Pugsy wrote:I would go with the latest and greatest if my insurance was footing the bill.
Then again there are always those bugs they never fix when they rush a product out the door. We had a saying "When in doubt - ship it out".

Me - I always like to stay a couple revisions behind. Esp. when it comes to Windows updates
oh god, there's a scary thought... winblows on a cpap.

brings a whole new meaning to the

BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH
You win the internet! Best laugh I've had all day.

Post by Guest » Fri Sep 05, 2014 6:30 am

fdw wrote:This thread was all for NOT........Just got word that my Insurance does NOT and will NOT cover any CPAP supplies, equipment, re-titration study, or sleep study....it's simply not in my plan

So Im back on my own AGAIN
So is Craigslist or buying on this forum within reach for you?

For those researching the new Resmed S10 another point for the new user would be if you are looking for data SleepyHead will not work (as of now) with the S10. That means you would need to find the Resmed software if you want to know how you are doing and most new users want to see their data daily.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Sep 05, 2014 9:37 am

sleeplessinaz wrote: I wish everyone would stop bashing Apria.
if they'd stop being crap to everybody else, I'm sure everybody would stop bashing them.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

fdw

Post by fdw » Tue Sep 16, 2014 1:56 pm

Good News......I hope or think!

Low and behold I have Brand New ResMed S9 AutoSet with Humidifier in my possession as of this morning.

Supplied by Apria paid for by my insurance........at least that's what Apria verified.......we'll see
ResMed AirSense S10 Autoset (Ins. Pur. 3/16/2016)
AutoCPAP 10-15 EPR 1.0 (Latest Sleep Study 3-7-16)
Started CPAP March 1995 with a pressure of 11.0

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:20 pm

fdw wrote:Good News......I hope or think!

Low and behold I have Brand New ResMed S9 AutoSet with Humidifier in my possession as of this morning.

Supplied by Apria paid for by my insurance........at least that's what Apria verified.......we'll see
so, now you've got one for sleeping, AND one for napping?

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:45 pm

sleeplessinaz wrote:I have Apria - and have NEVER EVER HAD A PROBLEM WITH THEM AT ALL. I wish everyone would stop bashing Apria.
There are exceptions to every rule. Perhaps you're fortunate enough to work with a (rare) knowledgeable DME. I have a locally based DME and a hose-head RT working with me there, and I've never had a problem with them at all either. BUT 1) being in healthcare myself I had foreknowledge of who I wanted to work with, and 2) I've only been a patient for a month.

In business a reputation is generally EARNED, for good or ill. As with all things CPAP though, ymmv.