Interesting Insurance Surprise

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
fdw

Interesting Insurance Surprise

Post by fdw » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:11 pm

My insurance hasn't paid for CPAP equipment or supplies until this plan year (found out through the grapevine about this plan year which ends September 30, 2014). About a week ago I purchased a new ResMed S9 AutoSet (replacing a 7yr old ResMed S8 AutoSet Vantage) from CPAP.com not knowing that insurance would pay. After inquiring with my insurance they said they don't cover CPAP equipment or supplies from on-line suppliers vendors 100% but would pay 40% after out-of-network deductible was met ($1,500).

After visiting with my doctor last week I discussed with him about getting new CPAP equipment and supplies, not telling him I had already purchased the ResMed S9 AutoSet (out of my own pocket).

So I finally figured out which supplier was in my network (Apria HealthCare) and my Dr. sent them a Rx, last Study (2007), and equipment list (which I supplied) today.

I figured that having a spare would be perfect since the insurance will foot the bill, and not knowing if CPAP will be excluded-or-included from my policy next plan year I don't want to miss out. I have already met my deductible in-network so my cost would be zero.

So, my question is should I stick with the ResMed S9 AutoSet since I already have one and the parts would be interchangeable (Tubing, H2O Tank, Filters, Power Brick) or try for the newer ResMed S10 AutoSet model?

CPAP Equipment, Supplies:

1. Part Number 36025
a. ResMed S9 AutoSet CPAP Machine
b. ResMed S9 Series H5i Heated Humidifier with Climate
c. ResMed Control Climate Line Tubing for S9 and H5i
Climate Control System, recommend replacement every 3 months.
2. Part Number 60100
a. ResMed Mirage Activa Nasal CPAP Mask with Headgear
Size - Standard, recommend replacement every 3 months.
3. Part Number 16015
a. ResMed Sullivan Chinstrap, recommend replacement every 3 months
4. Part Number DSP1011
a. ResMed Disposable HypoAllergenic Filters for S9 Series
CPAP Machines (as needed), recommend monthly filter change.
5. Part Number 36800
a. Dishwasher Safe Water Chamber for H5i Heated
Humidifier, recommend replacement every 6 months.
ResMed AirSense S10 Autoset (Ins. Pur. 3/16/2016)
AutoCPAP 10-15 EPR 1.0 (Latest Sleep Study 3-7-16)
Started CPAP March 1995 with a pressure of 11.0

Cpap momma

Re: Interesting Insurance Surprise

Post by Cpap momma » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:33 pm

Go new! It'll make it easier on you if you need to swap it out under warranty.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 6:51 pm

Filters are cheap...buy them in bulk off of EBay.

The lure of the latest and greatest bites nearly all of us at one time or another. I certainly recognize the being bit symptoms myself.
The only thing is...the AirSense for Her has that extra apap mode that might come in handy but I don't know how the guys feel about getting a machine with flowers all over it.
That extra mode might come in handy to anyone...not just women...short sighted on ResMed's part IMHO.

I would go with the latest and greatest if my insurance was footing the bill. That way I wouldn't be "what iffing" myself for the next few years.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:06 pm

Pugsy wrote: The only thing is...the AirSense for Her has that extra apap mode that might come in handy but I don't know how the guys feel about getting a machine with flowers all over it.
if it bugs 'em, contact paper is cheap

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:50 pm

Pugsy wrote:I would go with the latest and greatest if my insurance was footing the bill.
Then again there are always those bugs they never fix when they rush a product out the door. We had a saying "When in doubt - ship it out".

Me - I always like to stay a couple revisions behind. Esp. when it comes to Windows updates

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:04 pm

Guest wrote:
Pugsy wrote:I would go with the latest and greatest if my insurance was footing the bill.
Then again there are always those bugs they never fix when they rush a product out the door. We had a saying "When in doubt - ship it out".

Me - I always like to stay a couple revisions behind. Esp. when it comes to Windows updates
oh god, there's a scary thought... winblows on a cpap.

brings a whole new meaning to the

BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:12 pm

palerider wrote:oh god, there's a scary thought... winblows on a cpap.

BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH
BWAH!!

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:14 pm

Guest wrote:

Ditto. I'm still running XP on my computers (I do have spare hard drives and licenses for Win 7 for the point when I HAVE to upgrade).......and, my CPAP machines are 7 - 9 years old. Everything is still working.

Den

(5) REMstar Autos w/C-Flex & (6) REMstar Pro 2 CPAPs w/C-Flex - Pressure Setting = 14 cm.
"Passover" Humidification - ResMed Ultra Mirage FF - Encore Pro w/Card Reader & MyEncore software - Chiroflow pillow
User since 05/14/05

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:48 pm

Well, good luck GETTING the latest, greatest S10 from Crapria without a fight, no matter what the doctor orders or your insurance covers. In the end you may not feel it was worth it.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:05 pm

I fired Apria and changed their name in my cell phone to "Zapria", so I can reject their nuisance calls.

zoocrewphoto

Post by zoocrewphoto » Wed Sep 03, 2014 10:48 pm

palerider wrote: oh god, there's a scary thought... winblows on a cpap.

BLUE SCREEN OF DEATH

That is a terrifying thought. funny too

Who would have thought it would be this challenging to sleep and breathe at the same time?

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Wed Sep 03, 2014 11:01 pm

Guest wrote:Then again there are always those bugs they never fix when they rush a product out the door. We had a saying "When in doubt - ship it out".

I know, I know but I tell you that bug bite from the "latest and greatest bug" packs a nasty itch. I figure there's enough of us fools willing to try the new stuff...hey somebody has to sort out the bugs...to help out. The new machines will have a warranty anyway.
If it bugs someone to be the guinea pig then I say "don't do it" but if someone gets a real bad itch from the bite of that latest and greatest bug...might as well scratch it with the new models.

Oh...I have been putting off getting a new computer (which I need) because I just hate to get Windows 8 and have to learn it all over again. I would get a Mac but not enough of my stuff I use will work on it unless I put Windows on it...which I suppose I could do but that's a PITA too....at least for me.

And palerider...don't try to get me to do the linux thing...it ain't gonna happen. I am too old and too stuck in my ways to go down that road. Like I have said many times...I want or don't want....whatever... is a real good reason for me.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

49er

Post by 49er » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:22 am

Oh...I have been putting off getting a new computer (which I need) because I just hate to get Windows 8 and have to learn it all over again. I would get a Mac but not enough of my stuff I use will work on it unless I put Windows on it...which I suppose I could do but that's a PITA too....at least for me.
Fortunately, I don't need one but I do worry about it crashing since I have had it since 2008 and that is about the shelf life my previous computers had. And the thought of having to learn Windows 8 does not make me happy either.

fdw

Post by fdw » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:18 am

Im the first to get new TECH, i.e. I get a new iPhone every other year (can't wait for the iPhone6). My computer(s) are 2011 13" MacBook Air, 2012 15" MacBook Pro (non-retina), 2006 Apple 23" ACD (monitor). Mitsubishi HDTV model WS-65813 from 2004, IMO the best picture quality of most TV's even on the market today 10 years later.

Im trying to make the point that new TECH is generally an improvement over the previous generation, but not always better (but we want it, including me).

From all the reviews and research I've done on CPAP machines the ResMed S9 AutoSet is one of the most reliable, best available. I ask the question because I don't mind buying newer TECH but proven TECH in a little higher on my priority list. So, I think it's in my best interest to stick with the S9, but my TECH head says gamble on the S10.

As far as a Windows computer goes, the last one I had was a Sony desktop with Win XP installed, lasted about 2 years. Hated having to pay for VIRUS protection.

You know what they say is true "once you go Mac you won't go back". Seriously once you make the switch you'll wonder why you waited so long....it took me a few months to understand the new way of doing things.....but I love new challenges!
ResMed AirSense S10 Autoset (Ins. Pur. 3/16/2016)
AutoCPAP 10-15 EPR 1.0 (Latest Sleep Study 3-7-16)
Started CPAP March 1995 with a pressure of 11.0

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 04, 2014 7:27 am

Aprea tried to give me the cheapest cpap on the market. I called my insurance (not doc) and they gave me a long list of companies that are more than willing to offer my the newest machine......no questions
Stay away from Aprea.