2014 policy on flying with distilled water?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: 2014 policy on flying with distilled water?

Post by chunkyfrog » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:17 am

--Hijack warning: sea salt; please discuss.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:28 am

BlackSpinner wrote:
It is NOT medically necessary. Potable tap water is all you need. Your humidifier will work fine and you will be at no risk.

I know you haven't boarded an aircraft in the last 20 yrs. As mentioned earlier I have not boarded an aircraft in the last 7 yrs without distilled water in my carry-on.
-tim wrote:It is much easier for you to hand a bottle to the check in clerk who gets it to the pilot than dealing with the likes of the TSA but always provide a new unopened commercial bottle.
In the US you will NOT get a bottle of water (unopened or not) to the pilot - THAT IS what TSA is for.
-tim wrote:it is at the pilots discretion
While the pilot can make a decision if you can power your cpap thru aircraft power TSA is the ruling authority on what liquids or other materials are permitted beyond the screening area.

Believe me it is not as big a deal as y'all want to make it into. Carry-on of cpaps with distilled water and wires to plug them in really is an everyday occurrence today. You can even bring finger nail clippers.

RandyJ

Post by RandyJ » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:31 am

I have found distilled and/or purified water all over the place -- the Canary Islands, London, Portugal, Prague etc... some places have it at the pharmacy, others have it where cleaning/ironing products are found (where there is hard water everyone uses distilled water for ironing)... I wouldn't hesitate to use regular bottled drinking water or tap, if necessary.

Alt masks Swift FX pillows, Mirage FX nasal mask, Mirage Quattro full face mask

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 03, 2014 9:31 am

-tim wrote:As someone who has an old printed copy of the FAR/AIM here where I could look up the exact law,
Please do look that up

RobertS975

Post by RobertS975 » Wed Sep 03, 2014 7:35 pm

I travel frequently... 4 trips to Europe with my CPAP this year alone. I have never bothered with distilled water at my destination. Just good clean bottled water without carbonation.

Do not try to get distilled water through the TSA. Not worth the attempt. Having distilled water is of no real importance for weeks on end. If you should see any residue in your basin, just wipe it clean with a face cloth. Remember, the water vapor that makes it up the tube to your lungs is "distilled".

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:00 pm

I don't understand why people can't give the OP the unbiased information asked for and allow him to make his very own decision.

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Post by chunkyfrog » Thu Sep 04, 2014 12:03 pm

Dear "guest", TSA is not consistent in their enforcement/or their rules.
Often rules are made up by whatever moron wears the badge on a particular day.
Therefore, experience will vary--a lot.
Information has been given. Period.

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:20 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Dear "guest", TSA is not consistent in their enforcement/or their rules.
Case in point: PRE- 9/11, my father and I were traveling back from Maryland, checking in through security at BWI. My father, who has gone by the nickname "Bullet" his entire adult life, had a replica brass rifle cartridge as his keyfob (which I had given him as a gift several years prior). The primer was spent and holes drilled in the brass to allow the keyring to pass through the HOLLOW shell, but the security agent refused to allow the "bullet" through. We had gone through security at our home airport (MT) without incident, but because this moron had no clue how ammunition actually works, my father was forced to give up a keepsake so we didn't miss our flight home.

StuUnderPressure

Post by StuUnderPressure » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:25 pm

RicaLynn wrote:My father, who has gone by the nickname "Bullet" his entire adult life, had a replica brass rifle cartridge as his keyfob (which I had given him as a gift several years prior). The primer was spent and holes drilled in the brass to allow the keyring to pass through the HOLLOW shell, but the security agent refused to allow the "bullet" through. We had gone through security at our home airport (MT) without incident, but because this moron had no clue how ammunition actually works, my father was forced to give up a keepsake so we didn't miss our flight home.
"I" added the bold in the above quote.

I won't try to pass anything through TSA that is NOT 100% certain, unless I don't care if they throw it in the trash can - because there is usually not enough time to bring it back to the car.

So, the worst they could do with the Distilled Water is throw it in the trash.

SD Card Formatter 5.0.2 https://www.sdcard.org/downloads/format ... index.html

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:34 pm

Trust me, since then (some 15+yrs ago) dad has removed ANYTHING questionable from his person prior to travel. He has enough mobility issues without having to hassle with the TSA.

wardmiller

Post by wardmiller » Thu Sep 04, 2014 1:47 pm

englandsf wrote:Resmed have a letter you can use on their site
Can you give me a link to the specific letter? I could not find it on their site, but I always seem to have trouble negotiating it.

I asked my pharmacist for one of his prescription labels with "Medical Distilled Water" printed on it. Then I took a regular 16.9 oz. spring water plastic bottle, removed the original label and slapped on the Rx label. Then I fill the bottle with distilled water and carry it in the custom travel case for my CPAP machine. No problem, so far, getting through TSA.

And to answer someone elses question here, if all else fails, it won't cause a serious problem if you use tap water or spring water for a few nights. Rinse the tank with distilled water the first chance you have afterwards.

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:04 pm

chunkyfrog wrote:Dear "guest", TSA is not consistent in their enforcement/or their rules.
Dear Froggie Dear,
I in fact did mention just that...
Guest wrote:Keep in mind each airport can be a bit different.

What you can carry on is up to TSA - how many bags you can carry on (or for how much $) is up to the airline.
And why Bobbys statement that you cannot hand carry distilled water on an aircraft needed to be cleared up.
Guest wrote: fwiw - I have not boarded an aircraft without distilled water in my cpap bag since I have been using cpap.
A Medical Tag is nice to have but is not required so I wouldn't stress out if I didn't have one. I have never put one on my bag as it serves no real purpose. The screeners know what a cpap looks like; I don't use the issued cpap bag either.

If you want a Medical Tag it can be found for FREE by searching this forum. It only has a place for your name which is why I prefer a luggage tag I can also write my name, address, and most importantly my cell # on just in case it does get lost in the cabin somehow.

Keep in mind each airport can be a bit different.

What you can carry on is up to TSA - how many bags you can carry on (or for how much $) is up to the airline.
If you know anything about strategy...
One of security's tactics to confuse the bad guys is to have a mix of inconsistencies in the process but not in the goal. You have to admit so far it has worked 13 yrs later. Amen.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:14 pm

Guest wrote:
BlackSpinner wrote:
It is NOT medically necessary. Potable tap water is all you need. Your humidifier will work fine and you will be at no risk.

I know you haven't boarded an aircraft in the last 20 yrs.
I flew last year. I also worked for a major airline until recently. I can also read the humidifier documentation where is specifically says (or used to) that the distilled water is to prevent mineral build up. It takes more then a few nights to do that. The humidifier is not even needed to use a cpap machine, it is considered a comfort item so technically you could say the humidifier is not a medical device since it is not required.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

webbie73

Post by webbie73 » Thu Sep 04, 2014 2:17 pm

I am not sure why anyone would want the potential hassle of going through a TSA check point with distilled water. Or for that matter lug distilled water all over an airport. It is not needed. Bottled water is available in any hotel and can be safely used in a cpap machine.

I celebrated this summer when TSA finally decided that Cpap machines no longer need to be taken out of a carry on!!!!!!!!

Post by Guest » Thu Sep 04, 2014 3:06 pm

webbie73 wrote:I am not sure why anyone would want the potential hassle of going through a TSA check point with distilled water.
I am not sure where you see the hassle? Anyone boarding an aircraft will have to go thru TSA whether they have toothpaste, bubble gum, or no distilled water. They don't even need a carry on bag. So explain to me where this hassle is?

The last time after my bag went thru xray the agent put his had on my bag and asked what was in the bottles - I said distilled water - he said you're all set. Never even opened the bag.

Now this is interesting...
BlackSpinner wrote:I also worked for a major airline until recently.
What did you do for this major airline? Did you make policy? Sweep the floor? Clean the aircraft?

The airlines determines fares not who can carry distilled water on the aircraft.
Guest wrote:What you can carry on is up to TSA - how many bags you can carry on (or for how much $) is up to the airline.
BlackSpinner wrote:The humidifier is not even needed to use a cpap machine, it is considered a comfort item so technically you could say the humidifier is not a medical device since it is not required.
Apparently TSA has approved AND Allow both the humidifier and the distilled water without your approval.

If you have further questions simply Google "3-1-1 Liquids Rule".