2014 policy on flying with distilled water?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BlackSpinner

Re: 2014 policy on flying with distilled water?

Post by BlackSpinner » Tue Sep 02, 2014 3:59 pm

The reason you should use distilled water is to prevent mineral build up in your tank. That is it, the only reason. This can be prevented by a weekly rinse with vinegar and water. Otherwise any water that is safe to drink can be used.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:06 pm

Tap water will be fine for a few days, unless the chlorine stink is so bad you can't stand it. Fill the water tank every night, and rinse and dump it in in the morning.

In many parts of the world, including some reasonably civilized parts of Europe, distilled water is hard to find, and most CPAPers just use tap water.

If you can drink the water, it's safe enough to inhale the vapors from a CPAP humidifier. You inhale the drops and vapors from the water every time you take a shower. Dump the water, rinse the tank, and check if you need to clean it every morning. Don't leave the water long enough to start growing biology experiments in the tank.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

hobbs

Post by hobbs » Tue Sep 02, 2014 4:21 pm

Just use bottled drinking water. I have used bottled drinking water, sans gas and NOT mineral, on 2 & 3 week overseas trips with no ill effect on both a S8 & S9 humidifier. Just soak them in vinegar when you get home.

Bobby269

Post by Bobby269 » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:09 pm

TSA won't let you hand carry it into the plane. But you can put it into your check in baggage. I use the pap flask a lot for traveling and mine hasn't leaked yet. ( one exception is: If it's a long flight and you have to sleep on the plane, over night type trip. They will allow you to carry on the pap flask.}

Additional Comments: Set to Apap 14.00/20. EPR 3, Climate line hose, Oscar for Mac 1.1.0. Betta.1

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 02, 2014 5:41 pm

Googling the "3-1-1 Rule" reveals this from the TSA website...
Medically Necessary Liquids, Gels and Aerosols

Travelers with Disabilities and Medical Conditions

Medically required liquids, such as medications, creams and breast milk, are permitted to be brought on board an aircraft. It is not necessary to place medically required liquids in a zip-top bag. However, travelers must tell the TSA officer at the beginning of the screening process that they wish to bring medically necessary liquids in excess of 3.4 ounces in their carry-on bag. Liquids, gels and aerosols are typically screened by X-ray and medically necessary items in excess of 3.4 ounces will receive additional screening.

Exemptions from the 3-1-1 Rule

Liquids in carry-on baggage are ordinarily limited by the 3-1-1 rule, which allows travelers to bring one quart-sized, clear zip-top bag containing liquids no larger than 3.4 ounces. However, travelers may bring medically necessary liquids in excess of 3.4 ounces in their carry-on baggage. Medically necessary liquids need not fit within a quart-sized bag. Accessories required to cool medically necessary liquids– such as freezer packs or frozen gel packs – are also permitted through the screening checkpoint, as are supplies that are associated with medically necessary liquids, such as IV bags, pumps and syringes. These items are also exempt from the 3-1-1 Rule, but may be subject to additional screening.
Some highlites here...
Medically required liquids, such as medications, creams and breast milk, are permitted to be brought on board an aircraft. It is not necessary to place medically required liquids in a zip-top bag

However, travelers may bring medically necessary liquids in excess of 3.4 ounces in their carry-on baggage. Medically necessary liquids need not fit within a quart-sized bag.
The TSA agent may ask you what is in the bottle - the answer is it is distilled water for the cpap machine: that makes it medically necessary.

fwiw - I have not boarded an aircraft without distilled water in my cpap bag since I have been using cpap.
A Medical Tag is nice to have but is not required so I wouldn't stress out if I didn't have one. I have never put one on my bag as it serves no real purpose. The screeners know what a cpap looks like; I don't use the issued cpap bag either.

If you want a Medical Tag it can be found for FREE by searching this forum. It only has a place for your name which is why I prefer a luggage tag I can also write my name, address, and most importantly my cell # on just in case it does get lost in the cabin somehow.

Keep in mind each airport can be a bit different.

What you can carry on is up to TSA - how many bags you can carry on (or for how much $) is up to the airline.

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Tue Sep 02, 2014 6:46 pm

For just a few days..Use regular bottled water. Nothing will happen to your machine. Just clean out your humidifier tank when you get back.. Some people use regular water all the time.

library lady

Post by library lady » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:17 pm

Bobby269 wrote:TSA won't let you hand carry it into the plane. But you can put it into your check in baggage. I use the pap flask a lot for traveling and mine hasn't leaked yet. ( one exception is: If it's a long flight and you have to sleep on the plane, over night type trip. They will allow you to carry on the pap flask.}
Yes, TSA will let you hand carry it onto the plane ... I did it this summer with absolutely no hassle, other than the need to open the case for screening. I will not ever put it into my checked baggage, for a variety of reasons. While I have only been using cpap since Feb. 2014, I have traveled all over the world for nearly 40 years, on most of the continents, and I've seen all kinds of baggage mishandling, as well as broken luggage coming off the baggage line, even in the US. Many times my bags have been delayed in arriving at my destination and I didn't get them until the next day.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:24 pm

The Question is - "2014 policy on flying with distilled water?"
LSAT wrote:For just a few days..Use regular bottled water. Nothing will happen to your machine. Just clean out your humidifier tank when you get back.. Some people use regular water all the time.
Is that your final answer?

Well maybe not has anyone suggested just leaving the machine at home? Save a lot of trouble. It's only a few days. Just sleep more when you get home.

library lady

Post by library lady » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:45 pm

Guest wrote:The Question is - "2014 policy on flying with distilled water?"
LSAT wrote:For just a few days..Use regular bottled water. Nothing will happen to your machine. Just clean out your humidifier tank when you get back.. Some people use regular water all the time.

Well maybe not has anyone suggested just leaving the machine at home? Save a lot of trouble. It's only a few days. Just sleep more when you get home.
Dumb answer, sorry to say. Would you also suggest that a diabetic leave his insulin behind and take more of it when he/she gets home?

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

Post by Guest » Tue Sep 02, 2014 7:54 pm

library lady wrote:Dumb answer, sorry to say.
This thread is full of dumb answers, sorry to say, in case you didn't notice. I was just tryin to fit in

RicaLynn

Post by RicaLynn » Tue Sep 02, 2014 9:01 pm

Guest wrote:The Question is - "2014 policy on flying with distilled water?"

Get thee back beneath yon bridge from whence ye came, troll.

Post by Guest » Wed Sep 03, 2014 5:02 am

You must feel really good about yourself - after only 18 days here and 85 posts you are already "IN Charge".

RicaLynn

Congrats to you RicaLynn

LSAT

Post by LSAT » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:14 am

You must stop replying to "Guest"...he's only here to create conflict....never anything worthwhile to contribute.

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:19 am

Guest wrote: The TSA agent may ask you what is in the bottle - the answer is it is distilled water for the cpap machine: that makes it medically necessary.

f
It is NOT medically necessary. Potable tap water is all you need. Your humidifier will work fine and you will be at no risk.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

-tim

Post by -tim » Wed Sep 03, 2014 8:51 am

BlackSpinner wrote:It is NOT medically necessary. Potable tap water is all you need. Your humidifier will work fine and you will be at no risk.
Exaclty.

As someone who has an old printed copy of the FAR/AIM here where I could look up the exact law, it is at the pilots discretion but that assumes you can even get word to them. Their decision will be based on the airline rules and how hard it is to cope with that. If you won't need the CPAP in the flight, check the bottled water but take the machine and basics as carryon. If you are planning on using the CPAP on the flight (say you were going overseas), then you have to make sure the humidifier can't or won't take too much energy and the dry low pressure altitude will use more water than typical. You can call the special needs office of your airline and request a bottle of distilled water for a CPAP or Oxygen system and they will provide it or let you provide it. It is much easier for you to hand a bottle to the check in clerk who gets it to the pilot than dealing with the likes of the TSA but always provide a new unopened commercial bottle.

If you travel with CPAP, make a checklist that includes:
* Empty the water from the tank!!!
* Take power brick
* Take extension cord
* Machine
* Hose
* Mask

Even consider putting a sticker on the thing saying "remove water tank before moving machine." I've had to take apart enough of these for people who forgot. The checklist is handy if you have to hang out in a hospital as well.