AveoTSD

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Snorkle2

AveoTSD

Post by Snorkle2 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:01 am

I just used a medium-size AveoTSD for the first time last night that I bought new online for only $85.00 and I will be using it until something miraculous changes in my physiology. I have tried the oral appliance my sleep DDS made for me and it does not keep my enlarged tongue from falling back and waking me up and I refuse to try a CPAP so this was my last chance at having a good night without waking, heart pounding, ear ringing and fatigue all day. I woke up twice, very briefly, as this is the adjustment phase but the only negative thing I experienced was a little drool out of one corner of my mouth and my tongue had a slight red "hickey" on the tip of it, felt slightly numb but within 30 minutes it was back to normal. This is the ticket for me!! I tried Provent and they are horrible...the holes get smaller after Phase 1 and Phase 2 and it was not a fun experience. I would say the $ is worth the experiment and don't let the dentist or doctor talk you out of trying it. Best wishes to all! I would highly recommend one night's trial or maybe a nap on Saturday to see how you do. What have you got to lose?

chunkyfrog
Location: Nebraska--I am sworn to keep the secret of this paradise.

Re: AveoTSD

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:11 am

My life.
Sorry to rain on your parade, but have you had a sleep study while wearing this gadget?
While it may actually help --SOME people-- you might not be one of them.
Please do not let your distaste for a little mask and air pressure stand in the way of effective treatment.
If you are shilling for this unproven alternative treatment, have a nice life. --If you can live with yourself.
Oh, that hickey will not get better--might even turn to cancer.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:59 am, edited 1 time in total.

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Sep 01, 2014 7:18 am

chunkyfrog wrote:My life.
Sorry to rain on your parade, but have you had a sleep study while wearing this gadget?
While it may actually help --SOME people-- you might not be one of them.
Please do not let your distaste for a little mask and air pressure stand in the way of effective treatment.
If you are shilling for this unproven alternative treatment, have a nice life. --If you can live with yourself.
CF,

I know you and others on this board find this hard to believe but there are some people who can't tolerate pap therapy in spite of our best efforts. It isn't just an issue of having a distate for a little mask and air pressure. Why there isn't more compassion regarding this issue is beyond me.

So if someone like Snorkle finds something that works that is outside of the mainstream thinking, more power to him/her. And if he/she is a shill, which I don't think this person is, so what? It isn't the first time this happened and it won't be the last.

Yes, he/she should definitely get a sleep study and yes, people need to know this is unproven treatment. But to write the type of post you did with no compassion whatsoever has me shaking my head.

49er

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:20 am

I'm sorry I came across as insensitive, but I meant only good.
My post was not so much for the OP, but for newbies who do not need encouragement for their denial.
My warning, hopefully, will serve to discourage those who have a chance to succeed--to give it a bit more effort.
I would feel remiss if I did not do my best to help others give pap a fair chance.
Mask design does have its shortcomings, and some people have genuine pain from poor adjustment,
the wrong mask, and physical disorders like fibromyalgia. I can do nothing about these things,
and I wish the best for all for better masks and whatever help they need to be well--including means yet to be developed.
As for people who believe they suffer from "claustrophobia"; they should seek help for that problem
--instead using it as an excuse.
Oh, and sores in the mouth are easy to get, but very difficult to heal--the OP's tongue hickey is not necessarily a non-issue.

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:02 am, edited 3 times in total.

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:38 am

chunkyfrog wrote:I'm sorry I came across as insensitive, but I meant only good.
My post was not so much for the OP, but for newbies who do not need encouragement for their denial.
My warning, hopefully, will serve to discourage those who have a chance to succeed--to give it a bit more effort.
I would feel remiss if I did not do my best to help others give pap a fair chance.
Mask design does have its shortcomings, and some people have genuine pain from poor adjustment,
the wrong mask, and physical disorders like fibromyalgia. I can do nothing about these things,
and I wish the best for all for better masks and whatever help they need to be well--including means yet to be developed.
As for people who believe they suffer from "claustrophobia"; they should seek help for that problem
--instead using it as an excuse.
Oh, and sores in the mouth are easy to get, but very difficult to heal--the OP's tongue hickey is not necessarily a non-issue.
CF,

I know you meant well but frankly, I thank it is up to the person to decide how much effort they want to put into cpap as long as they are realistically informed what the success rates are for alternative treatments. Don't misunderstand me, I think we should let people know that if they are on pap therapy, they might be missing some things that could make everything successful. However, if they have decided they have had enough and want to look at alternatives, they should not be condemned for that.

Hmm, saying someone is using claustrophobia as an excuse? Wow.

49er

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 01, 2014 9:45 am

Claustrophobia should be confirmed by a medical/psychiatric professional; not a self-diagnosis.
and there are treatments. At the very least, a clear diagnosis should help a patient to secure the next best therapy,
and competent medical treatment. (oh, my bad--that is not as common as we like.)

Last edited by chunkyfrog on Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:04 am, edited 2 times in total.

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:03 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Claustrophobia should be confirmed by a medical/psychiatric professional; not a self-diagnosis.
and there are treatments. At the very least, a clear diagnosis should help a patient to secure the next best therapy,
and competent medical treatment. (oh, my bad--that is not as common as we like.)
CF, with all due respect, most people do not need a psychiatrist/medical professional to confirm they have claustrophobia. This isn't like self diagnosing diabetes or thyroid conditions. It is up to them to decide whether it is worth pursuing pap therapy with the challenges it present.

Now they may decide that they need medication and or CBT to get over the hump and yes, that would definitely necessitate a visit. But on the other hand, they may decide that the pap desensitization programs are enough for their needs. Or they may decide that based on their fully informed choice, that pursuing something like a dental device better suits their needs.

But whatever they decide, it is their choice and should be fully supported.

49er

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:04 am

To quote the OP, " . . . I refuse to try cpap." Not even trying! ok, whatever.
I do have a problem with him encouraging others to go down the same path.

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:09 am

chunkyfrog wrote:To quote the OP, . . . I refuse to try cpap." Not even trying! ok, whatever.
Come on CF, posters are more intelligent than that. Well usually they are.

49er

chunkyfrog

Post by chunkyfrog » Mon Sep 01, 2014 10:14 am

Well, most of the folks who find us generally have something going for them mentally,
--but have you ever read the comments on Yahoo? There are a lot of "special" people with keyboards.

SleepyEyes21

Post by SleepyEyes21 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:05 am

49er wrote:
chunkyfrog wrote:Claustrophobia should be confirmed by a medical/psychiatric professional; not a self-diagnosis.
Hi CF- claustrophobia is frequently dismissed, overlooked, and/ or misdiagnosed under 'general anxiety' by medical/ mental health professionals. As you may or may not know, although there are treatments for claustrophobia, not all patients benefit from them; contrary to popular belief, there are no "cures" in mental health. Ideally, we would like to think that a clear diagnosis would help someone get the best therapy/ treatment; however as you pointed out, more times than not this doesn't happen.

CF, with all due respect, most people do not need a psychiatrist/medical professional to confirm they have claustrophobia. This isn't like self diagnosing diabetes or thyroid conditions. It is up to them to decide whether it is worth pursuing pap therapy with the challenges it present.

Now they may decide that they need medication and or CBT to get over the hump and yes, that would definitely necessitate a visit. But on the other hand, they may decide that the pap desensitization programs are enough for their needs. Or they may decide that based on their fully informed choice, that pursuing something like a dental device better suits their needs.

But whatever they decide, it is their choice and should be fully supported.

I agree, 49'er, and would like to add that people can find many CBT techniques via the internet to try, if they would prefer not to see a therapist.

49er

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:07 am

chunkyfrog wrote:Well, most of the folks who find us generally have something going for them mentally,
--but have you ever read the comments on Yahoo? There are a lot of "special" people with keyboards.
Yahoo and some other places come to mind.

49er

49er

Post by 49er » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:11 am

I agree, 49'er, and would like to add that people can find many CBT techniques via the internet to try, if they would prefer not to see a therapist.

49er[/quote][/quote]

Definitely agree and I believe there are some free ones although none come right to mind.

49er

palerider

Post by palerider » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:15 am

I love how the unregistered troll pops in, drops a "cpap is bad" turd and ignites the shitstorm of argument.

if they were a real person, with a real anti-cpap issue, then a generic apena board would be a better place to post, don'cha think?

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SleepyEyes21

Post by SleepyEyes21 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 11:20 am

chunkyfrog wrote:To quote the OP, " . . . I refuse to try cpap." Not even trying! ok, whatever.
But doesn't the OP have that right NOT to try cpap and to even refuse it? I haven't been in this forum for very long, but have read posts that talk about 'freedom of speech, etc.' It seems to me that most posters only are allowed 'freedom of speech' without repercussion IF they agree with the mainstream here.

CF - aren't a majority of us who DO choose cpap for treatment "encouraging others to go down the same path?" Why is it acceptable for us to push our viewpoints and agendas on this issue but not okay for others to voice a different approach?

I think if we want others to listen and respect us, we need to give the same in return.