Running out of options, need help! Hybrid mask..

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
aaronb

Running out of options, need help! Hybrid mask..

Post by aaronb » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:49 am

Hello!

My name is Aaron and I have been dealing with sleep apnea for the past two years but probably had it since I was a child..

I am having extreme trouble finding the right mask for me. I have tried many types of mask without success until I tried the Hybrid mask by innomed. I find this mask to be comfortable enough to sleep with BUT for some reason it drys my eyes up! I would wake up with very dry eyes and would last the whole day... The mask has no leaks at all so I am not sure why it is doing this? Is it possible that the air going up my nose is coming out of my eye tear ducts???

Does anyone else have this problem with the hybrid mask?

Are there any other solutions to sleep apnea besides a cpap machine such as surgery, some other kind of device, or maybe a bed that can do incline like those sleep number beds???

I'm feel so defeated right now...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!
ResMed S9 elite with humidifier
Innomed Hybrid Mask

49er

Re: Running out of options, need help! Hybrid mask..

Post by 49er » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:24 am

Hi Aaron,

I am not specifically familiar with this issue but you might want to take a look at these sites from the google search I did just did. It looks like there are possible solutions, including an eye shield that would fit with this mask.

https://www.google.com/#q=protection+fo ... cpap+masks

49er
aaronb wrote:Hello!

My name is Aaron and I have been dealing with sleep apnea for the past two years but probably had it since I was a child..

I am having extreme trouble finding the right mask for me. I have tried many types of mask without success until I tried the Hybrid mask by innomed. I find this mask to be comfortable enough to sleep with BUT for some reason it drys my eyes up! I would wake up with very dry eyes and would last the whole day... The mask has no leaks at all so I am not sure why it is doing this? Is it possible that the air going up my nose is coming out of my eye tear ducts???

Does anyone else have this problem with the hybrid mask?

Are there any other solutions to sleep apnea besides a cpap machine such as surgery, some other kind of device, or maybe a bed that can do incline like those sleep number beds???

I'm feel so defeated right now...

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:08 am

Hi Aaron,
It would be helpful if you could post your equipment.
There's a link on doing that in my signature block. Select TEXT as the display mode as some of the images look the same even though the models are different.

Oracle 452 Lessons Learned Updated
DSX900 AutoSV with HC150 extra humidifier and Hibernite heated hose
Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.
Sleepyhead and Encore Pro 2.21.

M'ohms

Post by M'ohms » Fri Aug 29, 2014 6:21 am

Aaron,

I had the same problem as you. I solved it by purchasing a 2" wide elastic headband ( found in the grocery store or any drug store, usually packaged in 3's, and cheap) and placing it over my head and nose (think Indian, only lower). Keep the bottom edge of the headband edge at the bottom of the nasal pillows so that the pillows and the tip of your nose are underneath the headband. This stabilizes the pillows in your nares, even if you toss and turn on your pillow. This has eliminated the pillow leaks altogether, especially in the eyes. Hope this helps!

Sir NoddinOff

Post by Sir NoddinOff » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:28 pm

These are the eye-shields I use every night. They are very comfortable and also block out all kinds of mask leaks.

Find them at:
http://www.dryeyeshop.com/onyix-p327.aspx
They are so effective in trapping moisture all night that I had to use a hand held paper punch to put two holes at the outer extremes of the silicone shields just to vent excess moisture! As a bonus you can't see any light thru them. They can take several days to get used to. They seem to last about a year if you don't toss and turn alot.

I like my ResMed AirFit F10 FFM - reasonably low leaks for my ASV therapy. I'm currently using a PR S1 AutoSV 960P Advanced. I also keep a ResMed S9 Adapt as backup. I use a heated Hibernite hose. Still rockin' with Win 7 by using GWX to stop Win 10.

aaronb

Post by aaronb » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:35 pm

Thank you for the suggestions!

But I'm confident my mask is not leaking..

Is it possible the air that is blowing up my nose directly from the nasal pillows can come out to the tear duct that is in the corner of the eyelid? I think I read that some where on here.

But regardless, I will try those goggles.
Innomed Hybrid Mask

aaronb

Post by aaronb » Sun Aug 31, 2014 8:38 pm

M'ohms wrote:Aaron,

I had the same problem as you. I solved it by purchasing a 2" wide elastic headband ( found in the grocery store or any drug store, usually packaged in 3's, and cheap) and placing it over my head and nose (think Indian, only lower). Keep the bottom edge of the headband edge at the bottom of the nasal pillows so that the pillows and the tip of your nose are underneath the headband. This stabilizes the pillows in your nares, even if you toss and turn on your pillow. This has eliminated the pillow leaks altogether, especially in the eyes. Hope this helps!
Anyway you can take a picture of this to show me more clearly?

If not it's OK, I understand!
Innomed Hybrid Mask

archangle

Post by archangle » Sun Aug 31, 2014 11:45 pm

aaronb wrote:Is it possible the air that is blowing up my nose directly from the nasal pillows can come out to the tear duct that is in the corner of the eyelid? I think I read that some where on here.
You're probably talking about the nasolacrimal duct. I guess it could be, but I'd think you'd feel it, unless it's only doing it while you're asleep.

The Oracle Oral mask could fix that, if you can learn to use it without the nose plugs. Done that way, you have no pressure in the nose to leak out through the nasolacrimal duct. Many people find the oral mask hard to adapt to, though.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

M'ohms

Post by M'ohms » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:38 pm

aaronb wrote:

My mask on on-loan to a friend of mine right now, but I'll send you a pic when I get it back (probably next week). Meanwhile, check out this idea that was posted here:
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=13882&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=15
this solution uses a rubber and to change the angle of the pillows--looks like it might help.

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Mon Sep 01, 2014 4:56 pm

If the idea of using the Oracle mask is of any interest, then please take a look at the link in my signature block.

I hope it answers any questions you might have.
As archangle indicates, some have difficulty adapting to it.
It could solve your problem though.

Settings: EPAP Min-10.0, EPAP Max-17, PS Min-3, PS Max-10, Max Pressure-20, Rate-Auto, Biflex-1.

aaronb

Post by aaronb » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:07 pm

I have tried the Oracle oral mask..it dried my mouth too much and when I woke up my mouth and cheeks were sore.
Innomed Hybrid Mask

aaronb

Post by aaronb » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:09 pm

M'ohms wrote:
aaronb wrote:

My mask on on-loan to a friend of mine right now, but I'll send you a pic when I get it back (probably next week). Meanwhile, check out this idea that was posted here:
this solution uses a rubber and to change the angle of the pillows--looks like it might help.

Yes, when you get the mask back please post a picture if you can.

Did you ever try the resmed hybrid mask? I find their nose plugs fits much better..
Innomed Hybrid Mask

JDS74

Post by JDS74 » Fri Sep 05, 2014 4:21 pm

aaronb wrote:I have tried the Oracle oral mask..it dried my mouth too much and when I woke up my mouth and cheeks were sore.
Sounds as if you cranked down too much. That will cause mouth and cheek pain. The adjustment on the outside flaps needs to be as loose as possible without leaks. Tighter doesn't help.

Dry mouth means not enough moisture - you need to have the humidifier pretty high.

M'ohms

Post by M'ohms » Fri Sep 05, 2014 5:02 pm

aaronb wrote:
M'ohms wrote:
aaronb wrote:

Yes, when you get the mask back please post a picture if you can.

Did you ever try the resmed hybrid mask? I find their nose plugs fits much better..
Yes, I tried the Liberty first, since I had used other Resmed masks and liked their quality. For me, the Liberty had too flat a profile for my face. I had to crank down the straps so much (in an effort to get the sides to touch my cheeks) that I developed TMJ as a result. The Hybrid has a curve to it that fit my face very well. I agree that the pillows on the Liberty are much better and fit much better. Despite that, I found the Hybrid to be better for me.

I'm still waiting for my mask to be returned. I think I will have it on Sunday. I will post a pic then.