Don't Buy From Our Host, CPAP.com

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
biker

Re: Don't Buy From Our Host, CPAP.com

Post by biker » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:05 pm

Palerider, here's how to be nice to people:

Phil587, I'm genuinely sorry about your bad experience. Having to go on Cpap therapy can be bad enough without equipment or provider hassles. One suggestion is to consider getting a "backup" machine now. For most of us, that comes later, but for you it may have to come right up front. Backup machines can be had on secondwindcpap. Over time, you'll be glad you have a backup machine. Again, sorry. Take care.

Phil587 wrote:So, you think DME's are evil, huh. Well, so is CPAP.COM

Quick story -- First, I try to do things the "right" way. Went to see my sleep Doc and got a brand new script for an auto BIPAP. I sent it to CPAP.COM and ordered a Philips Auto Bi-Level and received it in short order. Wow -- everything is going great. Well, until I started using it. Used it two nights and the damn thing proved defective. I call CPAP today to get a RMA to return the machine and learn it must go back to Philips for warranty work == there is no such thing as a replacement, even for a defective unit. Well, crap -- OK, I will order a new machine to use while the defective unit is away since I MUST have a machine for health reasons. CPAP says -- nope, cant do it. Your script calls for just one machine. I say, OK send me one because you have yet to complete the deal because you sent me a defective machine.

They *refused* to send me a machine. Some of you guys may think CPAP is the best thing since sliced bread. I'm here to tell you they will pee down your back as soon as they get your money.

Lesson learned.
Phil
Last edited by biker on Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:07 pm, edited 1 time in total.

library lady

Post by library lady » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:06 pm

Did you call Carolyn or Johnny Goodman yet? 49er is right. If you haven't called them yet, I think you should.. with Labor Day weekend coming up, do it tomorrow so they can have time to get something in the mail to you before the weekend.

This is why I use a local provider for my machine, humidifier and occasionally supplies. Easier to get a loaner immediately. I've been ordering most supplies at cpap.com and will continue to do so.

Now using AirFit F10 mask; Quattro Air is backup mask. RemZzzz mask liners with both.

old dude

Post by old dude » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:23 pm

If you're going to get a backup machine anyway, couldn't you get your doctor to go ahead and write another script for the backup?

By the way, I've now used the same prescription to purchase three machines and to have one that went bad swapped out. There was never any discussion about another prescription, even with CPAP.com. I can't quite imagine what may be at work here.

Re: Don't Buy From Our Host, CPAP com

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:23 pm

Phil587 wrote:
Guest wrote:Phil how bout you tell us what this machine is doing (not doing) and meybe we can help.
Thanks for the offer, "Guest". If you have any ideas, I will sure try them.

The machine is making a noise. Night before last I was alone and thought the noise was coming from the mask but it's not. My wife was home last night and I had her run it down and she tracked it to the machine. It's so loud and pervasive, the noise was coming up the hose into the mask is why I thought it was the mask.

When I say "loud", I put a decibel meter on it today and it registered 91 db on IPAP and 68 db on EPAP. It's also at that "mother-in-law" pitch, about 2500Hz on IPAP and 2000Hz on EPAP. Yes, that is loud and pervasive.

I will mention I spoke with the Philips engineers today and they agreed the machine has a problem as did the people at CPAP COM but to no avail.

Any tips?
Phil
You didn't say this but does it sound like a whistle? Regardless, take the hose off with the machine on. Place your hand over the output port alternately blocking the air flow, on & off. Does it change the sound? Or is it still present?

Also for a backup machine you can likely get a brand new unit on Craigslist or right here on the forum.
A backup is a must.

Phil587

Post by Phil587 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:28 pm

biker wrote:Palerider, here's how to be nice to people:

Phil587, I'm genuinely sorry about your bad experience. Having to go on Cpap therapy can be bad enough without equipment or provider hassles. One suggestion is to consider getting a "backup" machine now. For most of us, that comes later, but for you it may have to come right up front. Backup machines can be had on secondwindcpap. Over time, you'll be glad you have a backup machine. Again, sorry. Take care.
Thanks, biker. In essence, the new machine was to turn my current machine into a "backup". After seeing what the auto can do for me, I am reluctant to return to my old machine which is why I was willing to buy another new unit. I'm thinking I need to give secondwind a call.

Phil

Phil587

Post by Phil587 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:31 pm

library lady wrote:Did you call Carolyn or Johnny Goodman yet? 49er is right. If you haven't called them yet, I think you should.. with Labor Day weekend coming up, do it tomorrow so they can have time to get something in the mail to you before the weekend.

This is why I use a local provider for my machine, humidifier and occasionally supplies. Easier to get a loaner immediately. I've been ordering most supplies at cpap.com and will continue to do so.
I'll give them a try tomorrow, library lady. I did ask to speak to a supervisor or owner today after reaching an impasse with the sales rep but nobody was home.

Thanks for the help!
Phil

Phil587

Post by Phil587 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:34 pm

old dude wrote:If you're going to get a backup machine anyway, couldn't you get your doctor to go ahead and write another script for the backup?

By the way, I've now used the same prescription to purchase three machines and to have one that went bad swapped out. There was never any discussion about another prescription, even with CPAP.com. I can't quite imagine what may be at work here.
I couldn't get another script today == too late. I did ask about future machines with the person I spoke with when buying the machine and was assured there would be no problem. That person needs to talk to the person I spoke with today because today's girl is evil.

Phil

Phil587

Post by Phil587 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 6:53 pm

Guest wrote:You didn't say this but does it sound like a whistle? Regardless, take the hose off with the machine on. Place your hand over the output port alternately blocking the air flow, on & off. Does it change the sound? Or is it still present?

Also for a backup machine you can likely get a brand new unit on Craigslist or right here on the forum.
A backup is a must.
Yeah -- kinda like a loud whistle, more pressure = more noise at a higher pitch.

Hose off = same kind of noise, just at a lower level and pitch because the motor is running slower due to load. I'm almost positive it is the pump motor or impeller. I agree about the backup business.

Phil

Wulfman...

Re: Don't Buy From Our Host, CPAP-dot-com

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:03 pm

Phil587 wrote:So, you think DME's are evil, huh. Well, so is CPAP-dot-COM

Quick story -- First, I try to do things the "right" way. Went to see my sleep Doc and got a brand new script for an auto BIPAP. I sent it to CPAP-dot-COM and ordered a Philips Auto Bi-Level and received it in short order. Wow -- everything is going great. Well, until I started using it. Used it two nights and the damn thing proved defective. I call CPAP today to get a RMA to return the machine and learn it must go back to Philips for warranty work == there is no such thing as a replacement, even for a defective unit. Well, crap -- OK, I will order a new machine to use while the defective unit is away since I MUST have a machine for health reasons. CPAP says -- nope, cant do it. Your script calls for just one machine. I say, OK send me one because you have yet to complete the deal because you sent me a defective machine.

They *refused* to send me a machine. Some of you guys may think CPAP is the best thing since sliced bread. I'm here to tell you they will pee down your back as soon as they get your money.

Lesson learned.
Phil
So, what's your problem with sending it back to have them check it out? You've stated you already have a "backup" unit.

Back in 2006, I sent two machines back to them......one because after a year of use it had developed a "wheeze" in the C-Flex function and I wanted it to go back to the factory for repairs while the warranty was still in effect. The other one was because the new one I had purchased that summer had a firmware difference that my original had not had and I didn't understand that at the time. It WAS working as it was supposed to.
I had already acquired a lightly-used machine to use as a backup while the others were going back and forth.
I've bought quite a bit of stuff (machines and supplies) from them over the years and have never been disappointed in the way I was treated. But then, I've owned my own business and can see things from a different perspective.

I think you're being very unreasonable as to your expectations of their business policy.
If you would try to put yourself in their position, you might see things differently.

Den

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:07 pm

Phil587 wrote:Yeah -- kinda like a loud whistle, more pressure = more noise at a higher pitch.

Hose off = same kind of noise, just at a lower level and pitch because the motor is running slower due to load. I'm almost positive it is the pump motor or impeller. I agree about the backup business.

Phil
I was afraid of that. You are at the mercy of Respironics, sound like it is a warranty issue.

Phil587

Post by Phil587 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:08 pm

Wulfman... wrote: I think you're being very unreasonable as to your expectations of their business policy.
If you would try to put yourself in their position, you might see things differently.
Den.
If you would put yourself in *my* position, you might see things differently.

You related to that devil guy?

Phil

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:26 pm

Phil587 wrote:
Wulfman... wrote: I think you're being very unreasonable as to your expectations of their business policy.
Den.
If you would put yourself in *my* position, you might see things differently.

You related to that devil guy?

Phil
I guess you didn't read what I said. I HAVE been in your position and didn't bitch and moan about it.......and especially badmouth CPAP-dot-COM. They did everything I could have expected and with professionalism.

And, no, I'm not related to him. Don't know him, or really anybody else on the forum. Everybody here is "known" by what they provide and contribute.

Den

Julie

Post by Julie » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:28 pm

Phil - Den is most definitely not related and has been here a long time - knows his stuff. The 'devil' guy is actually very bright when it comes to technology, but has a really short fuse at times, no patience with some things (and he's aware of it), so maybe just ignore for now...

Do try to reach Johnny or Carolyn tho', because something does sound cockeyed there... not at all the usual 'service'. Maybe someone was filling in vacation-wise for a regular and you just got stuck with ignorance. Give them a chance to fix it.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:35 pm

Julie wrote: The 'devil' guy is actually very bright when it comes to technology, but has a really short fuse at times, no patience with some things (and he's aware of it), so maybe just ignore for now...
fffzzzzzztttttt BANG!

*giggle*

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Phil587

Post by Phil587 » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:36 pm

Guest wrote:
Phil587 wrote:Yeah -- kinda like a loud whistle, more pressure = more noise at a higher pitch.

Phil
I was afraid of that. You are at the mercy of Respironics, sound like it is a warranty issue.
Yeah, I'm thinking you are absolutely correct. That's why I wanted another BIPAP auto so it wouldn't matter how slow they may be. As you (and others) have said, a backup is essential.

Thanks for looking.
Phil