Don't Buy From Our Host, CPAP.com

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Thewino

Re: Don't Buy From Our Host, CPAP-dot-com

Post by Thewino » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:43 am

Bill44133 wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:
Bill44133 wrote:
49er wrote:The main issue whether you think cpap-dot-com is the greatest organization on this earth or if they stink to high heaven is that if a pap machine become defective under the warranty period, that the customer is treated horribly in having to wait up to 6 weeks for their machine to be repaired and being forced to spend extra money for a replacement or a rental. This is unheard of in any other situation as companies replace defective products immediately without extra expense to the customer. Why this is acceptable where the stakes are alot higher is beyond me.

49er
This is the most sensible comment in this entire thread. Waiting 6 weeks would be nightmare. How scary You could stroke or be dead waiting. How can this be acceptable by any standard. I am so glad I bought a 2nd machine.
I strongly disagree.
It was determined (read Pugsy's posts) that the OP already HAD a machine. So, it wasn't like he was without one.

Den

Den the point I was trying to make and didn't make clear(obviously) is the disturbing part is for any one to wait 6 weeks for a defective machine repairs is a nightmare if you don't have a backup machine. I went over a year without a backup. Not everyone can afford to have backup. How can waiting 6 weeks be OK ?

I wish you well
I was gonna sit on the sidelines on this one but now wanna chime in. Bill, I gotta agree with you on this one as this does sound pretty awful. And, all the name calling: what up wit dat?

The dude threw down some serious cash expecting, rightly so, a working machine. Then, was delivered a defective machine. I gotta admit that, after dropping a pile of C-notes, I would be pretty upset and frustrated to be sent a machine that didn't work. Also, think about how much time the poor guy has spent speaking with the seller's, manufacturer's, and engineers. I would be troubled by the about of time expected of me after I clearly wanted a working piece of equipment.

Yes, he owned a machine already but just like the majority on this forum, he wanted an auto set. I think we can comprehend this. Certainly, it doesn't call for wasted money, time, and effort. He did all that was asked of him (sleep study, prescription, appraise which machine meets your needs, and, lastly, pay for it). Everything afterwards is just plain unfortunate.

I kinda feel bad for the guy. Phil: hang in there. I'm sorry you couldn't have experienced a smoother transaction.

Hang tough,
ThrWino
The wino and I know the joy of the ocean... J. Buffett ***Please do not take any information from my post/s as medical advice. I am simply providing personal experiences. Thank you***

Phil5 87

Post by Phil5 87 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:04 am

Thewino wrote:
Bill44133 wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:
Bill44133 wrote:
49er wrote:The main issue whether you think cpap-dot-com is the greatest organization on this earth or if they stink to high heaven is that if a pap machine become defective under the warranty period, that the customer is treated horribly in having to wait up to 6 weeks for their machine to be repaired and being forced to spend extra money for a replacement or a rental. This is unheard of in any other situation as companies replace defective products immediately without extra expense to the customer. Why this is acceptable where the stakes are alot higher is beyond me.

49er
This is the most sensible comment in this entire thread. Waiting 6 weeks would be nightmare. How scary You could stroke or be dead waiting. How can this be acceptable by any standard. I am so glad I bought a 2nd machine.
I strongly disagree.
It was determined (read Pugsy's posts) that the OP already HAD a machine. So, it wasn't like he was without one.

Den

Den the point I was trying to make and didn't make clear(obviously) is the disturbing part is for any one to wait 6 weeks for a defective machine repairs is a nightmare if you don't have a backup machine. I went over a year without a backup. Not everyone can afford to have backup. How can waiting 6 weeks be OK ?

I wish you well
I was gonna sit on the sidelines on this one but now wanna chime in. Bill, I gotta agree with you on this one as this does sound pretty awful. And, all the name calling: what up wit dat?

The dude threw down some serious cash expecting, rightly so, a working machine. Then, was delivered a defective machine. I gotta admit that, after dropping a pile of C-notes, I would be pretty upset and frustrated to be sent a machine that didn't work. Also, think about how much time the poor guy has spent speaking with the seller's, manufacturer's, and engineers. I would be troubled by the about of time expected of me after I clearly wanted a working piece of equipment.

Yes, he owned a machine already but just like the majority on this forum, he wanted an auto set. I think we can comprehend this. Certainly, it doesn't call for wasted money, time, and effort. He did all that was asked of him (sleep study, prescription, appraise which machine meets your needs, and, lastly, pay for it). Everything afterwards is just plain unfortunate.

I kinda feel bad for the guy. Phil: hang in there. I'm sorry you couldn't have experienced a smoother transaction.

Hang tough,
ThrWino
ThrWino,

I felt I had to make at least one more reply to this thread to say a heartfelt -- THANK YOU! I kept thinking surely there must be at least one person in this group that understands what I am going through and you clearly do so, again -- THANK YOU for your post. Yes, Johnny Goodman has gone above board to help me but it is only to supply what I consider normal customer service. In effect, I have now spent over $2k to have one working machine. At least I hope it works when it gets here.

For those of you with questions, yes, I do have another machine but it is NOT what my script calls for. Could I use it in a pinch? You bet! But only for a few days and certainly not 8 weeks. My old machine was managing my condition but the auto machine performs FAR better. When I say far better I mean my average AHI is .4 (that's point 4) on the auto machine. My old machine can't come close.

As for "service", Den (idiot) -- 4 years Airborne Ranger, E6

Once again, ThrWino -- thank you very much for your post.

Phil

Tumdace

Re: Don't Buy From Our Host, CPAP.com

Post by Tumdace » Fri Aug 29, 2014 7:53 am

Any company worth its name would take back a unit that was defective after two days, I dont see why this is any different.

For anyone who jumped on OP, shame on you. Shows how much of a fanboy you people are here.

Ive never ordered from CPAP.com before (live in Ontario Canada so I got all my stuff through a local provider) but I will sure be weary of ordering from them in the future based off of a situation like this. If it can happen to OP it could surely happen to me.

If the company was really as great as you guys make them out to be, they would be more than willing to help OP and ship him a new unit.

An example of a good company: When I was ordering lights for my chameleons cage, I ordered from a small company (1 or 2 man) that was very highly recommended by the chameleon forum I was on. He sent me a unit that died after a week. I live in Canada, he ships from the US. It was a $150 light fixture and bulbs. Turns out the ballast blew up. He sent me a completely new unit free of charge and even told me to keep the old unit for spare parts. After two months that unit blew up, so he sent me two replacement ballasts. I installed them and they have been working for 8+ months now with 0 problems. He understood that his reputation was worth more than a few dollars from one customer and went the extra mile to make me happy.

Why is it so hard to understand OP's frustration in dropping so much money on a unit deemed defective after 2 days? And the fact that he even wanted to spend more of his own money to buy another unit so he was not without a medical device that he NEEDs.

Ive never been part of such a hostile/unhelping/nasty forum before. There are alot of helpful people on here but it seems like a big unwillingness to help new people.

You people are dispicable.

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:04 am

Tumdance,

I do agree that Phil was jumped on unfairly. And at the risk of getting flamed, I will even agree with you that this forum can be nasty at times.

But I do draw the line when you claim that there is an unwillingness to help new people. I have to disagree vehemently with that statement as several times, in spite of the same questions being asked about pap therapy, people have taken the time to patiently answer the questions. Additionally, I wish I had a nickle for everytime, someone has written on this post that they were clueless until coming to this forum and being helped by experienced posters.

Essentially, this forum is a microcosm of life as it has its good and bad points. But I would take it any day over the other heavily moderated forums in which you have to watch every last thing you do and can't provide information that helps new posters.

My two cents.

49er
Tumdace wrote:Any company worth its name would take back a unit that was defective after two days, I dont see why this is any different.

For anyone who jumped on OP, shame on you. Shows how much of a fanboy you people are here.

Ive never ordered from CPAP.com before (live in Ontario Canada so I got all my stuff through a local provider) but I will sure be weary of ordering from them in the future based off of a situation like this. If it can happen to OP it could surely happen to me.

If the company was really as great as you guys make them out to be, they would be more than willing to help OP and ship him a new unit.

An example of a good company: When I was ordering lights for my chameleons cage, I ordered from a small company (1 or 2 man) that was very highly recommended by the chameleon forum I was on. He sent me a unit that died after a week. I live in Canada, he ships from the US. It was a $150 light fixture and bulbs. Turns out the ballast blew up. He sent me a completely new unit free of charge and even told me to keep the old unit for spare parts. After two months that unit blew up, so he sent me two replacement ballasts. I installed them and they have been working for 8+ months now with 0 problems. He understood that his reputation was worth more than a few dollars from one customer and went the extra mile to make me happy.

Why is it so hard to understand OP's frustration in dropping so much money on a unit deemed defective after 2 days? And the fact that he even wanted to spend more of his own money to buy another unit so he was not without a medical device that he NEEDs.

Ive never been part of such a hostile/unhelping/nasty forum before. There are alot of helpful people on here but it seems like a big unwillingness to help new people.

You people are dispicable.

Tumdace

Post by Tumdace » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:07 am

49er wrote:Tumdance,

I do agree that Phil was jumped on unfairly. And at the risk of getting flamed, I will even agree with you that this forum can be nasty at times.

But I do draw the line when you claim that there is an unwillingness to help new people. I have to disagree vehemently with that statement as several times, in spite of the same questions being asked about pap therapy, people have taken the time to patiently answer the questions. Additionally, I wish I had a nickle for everytime, someone has written on this post that they were clueless until coming to this forum and being helped by experienced posters.

Essentially, this forum is a microcosm of life as it has its good and bad points. But I would take it any day over the other heavily moderated forums in which you have to watch every last thing you do and can't provide information that helps new posters.

My two cents.

49er
Fair Enough, maybe wasnt the right words I was looking for. I know I was helped with a few things I posted about, but it still felt like I had to tread on eggshells asking questions here in fear of being ridiculed.

Kind of uninviting to new people I guess is the words I was using to describe.

OT: What is it with people calling me Tumdance lol. Sometimes I hate this nickname, everyone gets it wrong lmao.

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Aug 29, 2014 8:29 am

Tumdace wrote:
49er wrote:Tumdance,

My two cents.

49er
Fair Enough, maybe wasnt the right words I was looking for. I know I was helped with a few things I posted about, but it still felt like I had to tread on eggshells asking questions here in fear of being ridiculed.

Kind of uninviting to new people I guess is the words I was using to describe.

OT: What is it with people calling me Tumdance lol. Sometimes I hate this nickname, everyone gets it wrong lmao.
Oh my, sorry for misspelling your name. Can I blame it on my brainfog?

I definitely know what you mean about feeling like you have to tread on eggshells at times. Sorry you experienced that.

49er

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:02 pm

Phil5 87 wrote:As for "service", Den (idiot) -- 4 years Airborne Ranger, E6

Phil
I didn't question your "service" to our country. Never mentioned it. Again, you've got things wrong.

Den

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:05 pm

Thewino wrote: Then, was delivered a defective machine.

ThrWino
You don't know that for an absolute certainty.
Could be, but there are other possibilities......some of which were previously mentioned.

Den

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:19 pm

49er wrote:
I do agree that Phil was jumped on unfairly.

49er
Not unfairly and only because of the way Phil initiated the rant against CPAP-dot-COM. If you're going to "call down the thunder", be prepared to get struck by lightning. It's happened on the forum before and with similar results/outcomes.
It's not like he was dealing with some huge company and couldn't reach someone to straighten out this situation. We all (well, most of us) know that the Goodmans will bend over backwards to help and keep their customers.
It should have never been posted on the forum and in the way it was.

Den

Krelvin

Post by Krelvin » Fri Aug 29, 2014 12:46 pm

I'm sure the policy is not popular but it is not unknown.

CPAP.COM Published Return Policies https://www.cpap.com/returns.php

Section which warranty issues are raised...
As this is medical equipment of a very personal nature, all machines to include CPAP, APAP, BiPAP and Humidifiers, cannot be returned once the parcel has been opened, whether the unit shows hours of usage or not. CPAP and BIPAP warranty decisions for repair or replacement are made by solely by the manufacturer.
Talking to management might provide a better solution but the policy is marked and published where you can easily find it. I'm sure the sales documents that came with the unit says the same.

IF I were to buy a machine from them, I would want to know what my options are in the case there is a problem BEFORE I bought the unit. If I didn't like the answer, I wouldn't buy from them.

My previous experience with a brick and mortar DME was the same. When my 2yr old bi-level failed, the DME said it had to be sent to the mfg which said up to 6 weeks.

Why does it takes 6 days to repair a unit (even one under warranty which mine was not) ?? who knows... Was I pissed off at the DME for not helping, Yes. Did that help, Nope. Did they offer a rental or loaner unit? Nope.

I ended up having to go to the Insurance company which after 3 days provided coverage to replace the machine, which of course had to be ordered as it was not in stock. I had no working machine for 8 days total... a very long bad time for me. Actually lost a couple days of work as a result.

I eventually got the broken machine fixed so I had a backup as I never want to be in the position again.
Current Settings PS 4.0 over 10.6-18.0 (cmH2O) - Resmed S9 VPAP Auto w/h5i Humidifier - Quattro Air FFM
TNET Sleep Resource Pages - CPAP Machine Database
Put your equip in your Signature - SleepyHead v1.0.0-beta-1
Kevin... alias Krelvin

Re: Don't Buy From Our Host, CPAP com

Post by Guest » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:07 pm

Now this is a failure of the DME...a loaner should have been offered immediately. It is normally covered by the insurance.
Krelvin wrote:Why does it takes 6 days to repair a unit (even one under warranty which mine was not) ?? who knows... Was I pissed off at the DME for not helping, Yes. Did that help, Nope. Did they offer a rental or loaner unit? Nope.
But this DME failure is for another thread.

Phil587

Post by Phil587 » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:43 pm

Wulfman... wrote:

Phil
I didn't question your "service" to our country. Never mentioned it. Again, you've got things wrong.

Den

You are absolutely correct, Den. Please accept my sincere apology for wrongfully accusing you of that little tid-bit. It was not you but was one of your keyboard warrior buddies saying that. In my defense, when being attacked, all attackers look the same and receive the same disdain from me. In this one instance, though, I did wrongfully accuse you and for that I am truly sorry.

Phil

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Fri Aug 29, 2014 1:56 pm

I think your "service" reply is to me not Den, I thank you for your service. The Rangers I knew, adapted and overcome, I never did hear one whine before. They were leaders.

I understand why you are mad, I just don't think much of your attitude in getting it corrected. It luck of the draw when you buy anything, unless Johnny deliberately sold you a used or damaged product he's not the bad guy.

He has to live in the system the manufacturer has in place, wnich I will say sucks. There should be a warrenty in place that allows for new replacement if your new machine fails in 90 days period, after that it should be repaired and returned, not sent a rebuilt. If it can't be fixed, a NEW machine should be shipped ASAP. I also feel it's up to each of us to prepare for the event of machine failure.

Either you are alegeric to Honey, or your pot is empty. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:33 pm

Phil587 wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:

Phil

Den

You are absolutely correct, Den. Please accept my sincere apology for wrongfully accusing you of that little tid-bit. It was not you but was one of your keyboard warrior buddies saying that. In my defense, when being attacked, all attackers look the same and receive the same disdain from me. In this one instance, though, I did wrongfully accuse you and for that I am truly sorry.

Phil
Accepted.

Now, let's see if we can get something else straightened out.......
I don't believe I ever said you didn't have a right to be angry about getting a machine that (apparently) had "issues". I just think you went about it in an inappropriate manner.
As I've said before, these situations have been aired on the forum in the past. And, as far as I know, all have been resolved to the customer's satisfaction once the customers actually and personally contacted the Goodmans.

I sincerely hope that you get your situation resolved to your satisfaction.

Best wishes,

Den

CaptPat

Post by CaptPat » Fri Aug 29, 2014 2:50 pm

Thewino wrote:
Bill44133 wrote:
Wulfman... wrote:
Bill44133 wrote:

49er
I strongly disagree.

Den

I wish you well

Hang tough,
ThrWino

Gotta agree with ThrWino on this. The repeated rude, and disrespectful tone of many of the responses really do a disservice to the really helpful folks (Pugsy and others) on this forum. To be fair Phil, I think your frustration with the situation got the better of you in some of your responses as well. Best of luck in resolving the situation.