Allergen white filter

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.

Re: Allergen white filter

Post by Guest » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:44 pm

Amenite wrote:OK, so where does it say "logo facing out"? Nowhere, which is my point. If you check google images using the word "mesh" what do you see? You see a lot of patterned materials that look very very similar to the texture that is present on the logo side of that filter. That side could definitely be describe as "fuzzy" also. It's pretty soft when you're looking at it and it's actually softer or "fuzzier" than the non-logo side. It's totally unclear which way it goes. And it's painfully easy to correct that confusion by saying "the logo goes in this direction" or "that direction".
Until the chinese knockoffs entered the market there was no printed logo. It was white on both sides and even harder to tell.

But I am willing to bet there is mention in the manual on how to replace the filters.

Amenite

Post by Amenite » Tue Aug 26, 2014 7:54 pm

palerider wrote:
Amenite wrote:
sc0ttt wrote:
Amenite wrote:I don't understand why there aren't instructions somewhere that clearly say "put the philips logo facing in".
Because the logo is supposed to face out. The logo is on the non-fuzzy side.
OK, so where does it say "logo facing out"? Nowhere, which is my point. If you check google images using the word "mesh" what do you see? You see a lot of patterned materials that look very very similar to the texture that is present on the logo side of that filter. That side could definitely be describe as "fuzzy" also. It's pretty soft when you're looking at it and it's actually softer or "fuzzier" than the non-logo side. It's totally unclear which way it goes. And it's painfully easy to correct that confusion by saying "the logo goes in this direction" or "that direction".
the respironics filters I've seen, one side has a plastic gridlike surface, that goes towards the inside, the other side was more of a fuzzy filtery kind of thing. that goes out. so that the plastic grid can keep the fuzzy stuff from being sucked in.

are your filters different?
My filters are the same as everyone else's (except for a batch of aftermarket that are the same except no logo). From the manual: "Insert into the filter area first, mesh side facing in". So when I think of mesh I think of a symmetrical patterned surface, like the logo side has. That side is also "fuzzy". It's a thin, mesh patterned, fuzzy material. The other side is harder, is a non-symmetrical "mesh" I guess, and it's got a lesser degree of fuzziness. It's ambiguous is what it is. It does not need to be ambiguous at all since we have this handy logo on every filter. When a filter should be installed in a specific direction it should be unambiguous.

As I recall they told me to put the logo side facing out, unless I was losing it which I might have been after suffering years of severe OSA. But they definitely told me also to clean it by flicking it with my finger and re-seating. No mention of replacement - that was up to me to find out.

Goofproof

Post by Goofproof » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:16 pm

These threads make it plain, if one side of the filter was black and the other side was white, half of the people couldn't follow instructions well enough to put it in correctly. Jim
Use data to optimize your xPAP treatment!

"The art of medicine consists in amusing the patient while nature cures the disease." Voltaire

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 26, 2014 9:27 pm

Amenite wrote:
palerider wrote: are your filters different?
My filters are the same as everyone else's (except for a batch of aftermarket that are the same except no logo).
I just wondered, because all the ones that I've had for my respironics machines over the years, it's been obvious which side goes which way... so, I thought yours might be different.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:20 pm

Amenite wrote:I don't understand why there aren't instructions somewhere that clearly say "put the philips logo facing in". I mean the instructions are a little vague, but if they're going to bother putting their logo on one specific side of that filter they could use it for more than just branding.
The filters didn't use to come with the logo printed on one side. Do they have the logo on them now? That's a smart move, both for usability and helping keep down unapproved filters.

The first ones I got had an obvious plastic mesh on one side. Even the off brand ones had a mesh. Later ones had a less obvious plastic sprayed side. Some of the off brand ones seem to be the same on both sides.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:27 pm

palerider wrote:you can also get a round anti-bacterial filter to put in between the machine and your mask

(for instance:https://www.cpap.com/productpage/Respir ... -pack.html)
From the manufacturer's information, those appear to be mostly for overnight use in sleep labs and such. I haven't been able to find anywhere that Respironics specifies how often they should be replaced, although some of the online sellers say you can use them for a month or so.

I'm skeptical about using these more than one night. It will get wet the first night, and then it will sit all day like a wet sponge, inviting bacteria growth.

If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:29 pm

archangle wrote:I'm skeptical about using these more than one night. It will get wet the first night, and then it will sit all day like a wet sponge, inviting bacteria growth.
I did already say you'd say that

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

archangle

Post by archangle » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:32 pm

palerider wrote:
archangle wrote:I'm skeptical about using these more than one night. It will get wet the first night, and then it will sit all day like a wet sponge, inviting bacteria growth.
It's still important to point out potentially dangerous suggestions.

Useful Links.

sc0ttt

Post by sc0ttt » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:49 pm

Pugsy wrote:
sc0ttt wrote:Because the logo is supposed to face out. The logo is on the non-fuzzy side.
Huh?
How does having the slick plastic like side facing out going to grab the particles of whatever?
Who told you that the logo goes out?
It's always been the fuzzy side out. Logo faces the inside of the blower unit that you can't see.
The DME who demonstrated the unit for me said that the logo side goes out - I think she was a PR rep. She said "think of the advertising - you can see the logo."

But I just checked and the logo side IS the fuzzy side (my mistake from earlier post). So to be clear, the air sees the fuzzy side first. The CPAP.com generic filters don't have a logo.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:55 pm

archangle wrote:
palerider wrote:
It's still important to point out potentially dangerous suggestions.
if only you didn't state your unsubstantiated opinions as cold hard facts.

have you ever tried one of those filters, or just looked at them and gone "oh, that's a bad idea" shaked your head, and gone on to something else?

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 26, 2014 10:56 pm

sc0ttt wrote: But I just checked and the logo side IS the fuzzy side (my mistake from earlier post). So to be clear, the air sees the fuzzy side first. The CPAP.com generic filters don't have a logo.
now, that, good sir, makes sense!

SleepyEyes21

Post by SleepyEyes21 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:45 pm

palerider wrote:
SleepyEyes21 wrote: since when I tried both a PR & ResMed bricks last week at the DME, the ResMed seemed more 'forceful' at the same pressure?
as to that, as long as both machines were functioning properly, they would both provide the same amount of pressure.

however, if they weren't set up properly, (mask type, hose size, hose length, etc) then they could have been delivering a different pressure, even though the 'cm' setting was the same. and, also, if cflex or epr was on, or off, that would change how it feels to breath against the pressure.

without knowing exactly how each machine was set, it would be a total guessing game as to why you felt what you did
Thanks for the info, PR - I haven't been doing this long enough yet to think about all those variables Good advice!

SleepyEyes21

Post by SleepyEyes21 » Wed Aug 27, 2014 12:48 pm

palerider wrote:
SleepyEyes21 wrote:I am wondering about this particular filter, too, PR - I read other posts elsewhere here about it reducing airflow so you have to increase your machine pressure a bit to compensate.

Do you think its effectiveness could be dependent on the machine type and blower (ResMed vs. PR, for example?) Just wondering, since when I tried both a PR & ResMed bricks last week at the DME, the ResMed seemed more 'forceful' at the same pressure.

How long does this type of filter last, and is there a way to clean it periodically like the PR foam filters?

there's no way to clean them... they're disposable

cpap.com, and other places that sell them, say to replace them when they start getting dirty looking, just like the extra white filter that goes behind the foam filter.

they *do* reduce pressure a little, which is why most of the resmed machines have an AB filter setting, to tell it whether you're using one or not.

the PR auto manual says this:
Note: If required, connect a bacteria filter to the device air outlet, and then connect the flexible tubing to the outlet of the bacteria filter.
Note: When using the bacteria filter, the device performance may be affected. However, the device will remain
functional and deliver therapy
is it better to not use them? probably. is it better to use them and be able to sleep with the cpap, or not use them and have your nose clogged up completely by allergies and not be able to use the cpap?

that's up to you

and, of course, if you don't think they help, don't use 'em!
Good to know PR - thanks for all of your feedback. I may try one of these going forward.

Post by Guest » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:03 pm

For those who haven't taken the time to search this forum for info on these filters - do take the time to click on the link provided by the devil on page 1 then select the tab labeled "Important Tips".

There is also a tab with "Customer Reviews" here is one ....
"If you use a ClimateLine hose, you will need to insert these next to your mask, instead of at the outlet on the machine. This isn't a design fault in the filter, but rather the inevitable problems of having a heated hose =)

I had to stop using them because they began to add weight to the hose and make things bulky."
Here is another ....

"Used these for 2 nights, the humidity collected in them saturating the pad and making it VERY difficult to breath in and out. Ended up taking it off and will try again now that the humidity level has been adjusted."

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 27, 2014 1:21 pm

anonymous coward wrote:For those who haven't taken the time to search this forum for info on these filters - do take the time to click on the link provided by the devil on page 1 then select the tab labeled "Important Tips".

There is also a tab with "Customer Reviews" here is one ....
"If you use a ClimateLine hose, you will need to insert these next to your mask, instead of at the outlet on the machine. This isn't a design fault in the filter, but rather the inevitable problems of having a heated hose =)

I had to stop using them because they began to add weight to the hose and make things bulky."
Here is another ....

"Used these for 2 nights, the humidity collected in them saturating the pad and making it VERY difficult to breath in and out. Ended up taking it off and will try again now that the humidity level has been adjusted."
unlike many sniping posts from an anonymous coward, this post is devil approved *STAMP* ...

more knowledge, and educating yourself, is pretty much always better!