Another Newbie values your expertise...help with snoring

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: Another Newbie values your expertise...help with snoring

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:33 pm

sleep_quest wrote: BTW, the app didn't record anything...perhaps user error...but it's not worth the hassle if its going to impact my precious sleepytime.
or... your snores are so soft that they didn't pass the threshold on the app for it to record them.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

ExPatBrit

Post by ExPatBrit » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:34 pm

I just got fitted with my CPAP this morning, after Sleepover Camp my doctor advised me I had an AHI of 26.5 - which I was led to believe was 26.5 PER NIGHT - which to a layman like me, then, still seemed excessive - I mean, I woke up 26.5 times PER NIGHT ???!!!!
Today, my therapist advised me that AHI was a PER HOUR FIGURE !!!! I neaerly went batty.

However, as I research deeper into Sleep Apnoea & the associated side effects, it does provide me with a whole lot of answers as tom my mental & physical state over the past few years.
Lethargy; fatigue; irritability; weight gain; attention spa .... oooh, look at that butterflyyy ..... oh ! memory; ability to easily fall asleep during the day; sleeping in movies, noisy concerts - right under the speakers !! .. yada, yada, yada ........ they all stem back to Sleep Apnoea (SA). Couple that with hypothyroidism - no wonder I feel knackered & can not lose the weight I need to (~25 lbs) to relieve SA, maybe ??

I know my therapist has set my machine at 7 psi, will let y`all know how I get on over next week or so - machine's OnTrial for a month to see if I can adjust to being The Elephant Man overnight (that wasn't meant to be murtful to the poor, misunuderstood beleagured man !!) - thank g-d my grandkids are pre-teens so that I wouldn't scare the bejeebers out of them !!!

Looking forward to sharing my improvement with this BBS.
Have a safe, restful & enjoyable LabourDay weekend, y`all!

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:47 pm

Okay...Hyponeas and not CAs.
Your report still "looks" better visually as in not so much clutter with the snores.

Why more hyponeas now? No way to know for sure and to be honest while I might wonder about the "why" I don't dwell on "why" all that much when there's no way to figure out exactly "why". I prefer just to deal with what I am seeing.
I can give you a "maybe why more hyponeas"....going out on a big long skinny limb here but maybe (stress the maybe) with the reduction in snores (which we all know is a precursor warning sign of a little airway collapse) maybe you are sleeping just a little deeper and the airway gets more relaxed...or maybe it's related to sleeping position or maybe REM stage sleep. Maybe a little combination of all the above.

Your report while technically acceptable in terms of numbers still looks a little bit too "cluttered" to suit me and I would probably try another 0.5 increase in minimum pressure to see if the clutter clears up a bit and that includes the hyponeas. There is no urgent need but it's just my own personal preference for clearing up the clutter because to my thinking everyone of those little "clutter bits" means there's the potential for my sleep to not be optimal and I always want to optimize sleep whenever I can.

If you are feeling the miracle...there's no need to do anything as things are probably technically within acceptable limits.
I just don't like so much "clutter" myself. Now I might have a "cluttered" night every once in a while and I don't bother with those except to shrug my shoulders and blame the aliens and move on but when I see the same thing night after night and don't quite like the looks of it then I try to make things look a little better and as long as trying to fix the clutter doesn't create an issue (aerophagia or centrals or worse sleep) I tend to try to clean things up a bit. I don't strive for perfection...don't get me wrong there but just a little less "clutter".

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

sleep_quest

Post by sleep_quest » Tue Aug 26, 2014 1:54 pm

or... your snores are so soft that they didn't pass the threshold on the app for it to record them.

No such luck Pale Rider. I know I was moving around and I had a fan on so it should have recorded something...alas there was no data to be found other than the number of hours I slept so I think I messed up somehow.
Have a safe, restful & enjoyable LabourDay weekend, y`all!
Nice to meet you ExPatBrit, hope your treatment goes well. The numbers are scary when you first hear them that's for sure.
With you signing off using "y'all" I could swear you were from Pale Rider's neck of the woods.

d

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 26, 2014 2:56 pm

ExPatBrit wrote:I know my therapist has set my machine at 7 psi,
just fyi, 7psi would make your chest explode.

it's 7cm/h2o, which works out to 0.0995631 psi.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:01 pm

sleep_quest wrote:

No such luck Pale Rider. I know I was moving around and I had a fan on so it should have recorded something...alas there was no data to be found other than the number of hours I slept so I think I messed up somehow.
the sleepbot doesn't record constantly, only noises that are over it's threshold. (I have the same thing) if you have a fan on, that raises the noise floor, and if your snores aren't louder than that, it can't record them.

maybe you messed up the pretty simple 'record sounds' option, and... maybe you didn't.

even minimally effective cpap will have *huge* effects on snoring, trust me, my bedmate used to snore loud enough to be heard all over the house. I could even FEEL vibrations through the waterbed... so I slapped one of my spare cpaps on 'em, and cranked it up low (6 or 7cm) and ahhh... peace and quiet.

sleep_quest

Post by sleep_quest » Tue Aug 26, 2014 3:59 pm

the sleepbot doesn't record constantly, only noises that are over it's threshold. (I have the same thing) if you have a fan on, that raises the noise floor, and if your snores aren't louder than that, it can't record them. maybe you messed up the pretty simple 'record sounds' option, and... maybe you didn't.
Well Pale Rider, I'm gonna go with I didn't mess up the options (was wondering how I could have since it's a single 'button push' but figured it must have been me ) and that I am officially a retired 'Dreaded House Guest' and am now a 'Dainty Snuffler'! Yea!

Is the fact that my hypopnea's have increased a bit anything to be concerned about? I will continue to monitor my therapy regardless but I want to know what I should be on the look out for besides the obvious...

Thanks,
d

palerider

Post by palerider » Tue Aug 26, 2014 4:14 pm

sleep_quest wrote:
the sleepbot doesn't record constantly, only noises that are over it's threshold. (I have the same thing) if you have a fan on, that raises the noise floor, and if your snores aren't louder than that, it can't record them. maybe you messed up the pretty simple 'record sounds' option, and... maybe you didn't.
Well Pale Rider, I'm gonna go with I didn't mess up the options (was wondering how I could have since it's a single 'button push' but figured it must have been me ) and that I am officially a retired 'Dreaded House Guest' and am now a 'Dainty Snuffler'! Yea!

Is the fact that my hypopnea's have increased a bit anything to be concerned about? I will continue to monitor my therapy regardless but I want to know what I should be on the look out for besides the obvious...
your sleep will vary, you're on it like a hawk now, since it's new, and every little blip and blorp is "WHAT IS THAT!!!" but, over time, you'll probably get to where you just check in now and then, make sure that the overall trends are good.

you'll have better nights, and less better nights, higher and lower ahi's, as long as they're pretty low, and are staying there, bouncing around is normal. nobody (that I've ever heard of) has consistent days with a straight .7 ahi every night... or any other number.

though I've seen people on ASV machines that get strings of 0.0 because of the magic those things can do for some people.

in short keep it up and don't worry about little blips here and there... look for averages over days, or weeks hopefully, you're feeling better too

sleep_quest

Post by sleep_quest » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:01 pm

Well what do you know...SleepBot now magically has data from last night AND the night before. It wasn't user error after all (not that I really believed that lol)! I couldn't hear a hint of a snore and all the sound peaks corresponded to movement - "Scientific Proof" that I'm a dainty snuffler!

BTW: I turned off my fan last night to lower the noise level in the room so I could hear what was happening while I slept. Now that I've confirmed I'm not snoring I'm gonna crank that puppy back up!

Wishing everyone good sleep!
d

p.s. I can now recommend SleepBot as a free app (available for android and iOS devices) for anyone that is trying to hear what their bed partners are being subjected to. The app uses your device's microphone to record the noises made (over a certain threshold) and the accelerometer records movement. You can then listen to the recordings to see if you need additional help with your therapy. I used it in conjunction with SleepyHead software for that purpose.

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 27, 2014 2:41 pm

sleep_quest wrote:Well what do you know...SleepBot now magically has data from last night AND the night before. It wasn't user error after all (not that I really believed that lol)! I couldn't hear a hint of a snore and all the sound peaks corresponded to movement - "Scientific Proof" that I'm a dainty snuffler!
I'm glad that your mind is more at ease

sleep_quest

Post by sleep_quest » Wed Aug 27, 2014 4:43 pm

Your report while technically acceptable in terms of numbers still looks a little bit too "cluttered" to suit me and I would probably try another 0.5 increase in minimum pressure to see if the clutter clears up a bit and that includes the hyponeas. There is no urgent need but it's just my own personal preference for clearing up the clutter because to my thinking everyone of those little "clutter bits" means there's the potential for my sleep to not be optimal and I always want to optimize sleep whenever I can.
I don't know how I missed your last post but I just read it...I agree with you about the clutter and optimal sleep Pugsy, a .05 bump it is.
Thanks Pale Rider, I can safely tell my family I am a lot quieter now and if they still complain I'll tell them to buzz off!

palerider

Post by palerider » Wed Aug 27, 2014 5:56 pm

sleep_quest wrote:
Thanks Pale Rider, I can safely tell my family I am a lot quieter now and if they still complain I'll tell them to buzz off!
well, it's good that you did listen, and get some help... their ears will thank you endlessly

and, hopefully, you'll end up feeling better too (side benefit, eh?)

ChicagoGranny

Post by ChicagoGranny » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:06 pm

sleep_quest wrote: Thanks Pale Rider, I can safely tell my family I am a lot quieter now and if they still complain I'll tell them to buzz off!
Use your sleepbot on them. Odds are some of them snore worse than you ever did and need CPAP.

DeadlySleep

Post by DeadlySleep » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:10 pm

sleep_quest wrote: p.s. I can now recommend SleepBot as a free app (available for android and iOS devices) for anyone that is trying to hear what their bed partners are being subjected to.
I always slept very soundly, but I used it to see what my first wife sounded like in our bed. All that got recorded was her moaning and her boyfriend grunting.

sleep_quest

Post by sleep_quest » Wed Aug 27, 2014 7:38 pm

Use your sleepbot on them. Odds are some of them snore worse than you ever did and need CPAP.
Yes ChicagoGranny, you and I are on the same wavelength. I had thought of that too, and it is so easy to do. Talk about a 'GOTCHA' moment!
I always slept very soundly, but I used it to see what my first wife sounded like in our bed. All that got recorded was her moaning and her boyfriend grunting.
And NOOOOO DeadlySleep you and I are not on the same wavelength; I was not thinking along those lines when I posted my recommendation...sounds like you had more problems than could be addressed here... But thanks for the shock and chuckle.