Update on Cymbalta Tapering, Dr. Pundy and Chin Strap

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Luthie2006

Re: Update on Cymbalta Tapering, Dr. Pundy and Chin Strap

Post by Luthie2006 » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:44 am

Thanks everyone!!! What a wonderful Group of supportive people! I agree with everything stated. I agree that if a doctor does not how to safely taper their patient off a drug, that they should not be allowed to give it out in the first place!! He thought he was right, drop it off at 30 mg, after 2 weeks.

Now as far as Dr. Pundy, to be very honest with you, he was not sure either, believe it or not. I think to be honest, he uses the same rule as my old idiot Primary but did not tell me that. And he is supposed to be the expert as drug tapering.
He opened up the old Pharmacology book and basically under Cymbalta it said the same thing that my old clueless primary told me, the 30 mg "rule."
30 mg every other day, for 2 weeks, then every 3 days, and then drop off! Basically the only difference between Dr. Pundy and my old idiot Primary is that Dr. Pundy will write a script for whatever I want to taper off. He asked me "What do you want to do?" I told him well what do you think? At first he wrote me a script for 20's, and at the end of the appt. he said, "Wait, that is really more than you are taking now." I am taking 30 mg every other day, which is 15 mg a day. 20's every day would be equal to 40 mg which is more than now. So he said, "Ok, 15 mg every day for one month." Then 7.5 mg or 10 mg every month, and then 5 mg every month. After reading SirNoddin's Off response, he felt that I should be on the last 10% much longer. Does anyone on here know how long I should stay on the 5 mg when I go on this my 3rd month? This is very important to me. Thank you. And thank you 49er for putting me into contact with Dr. Pundy who is in the same hospital as I work in!!

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:44 pm

Hi Luthie2006,

If you want to PM me with your email address which will obviously be kept totally confidential, I can email you a tapering spreadsheet that I obtained from another antidepressant withdrawal website, http://www.paxilprogress.org. That way, you can plug in some numbers and see how long it would take to taper off at 10% of current dose every 4 weeks, including the exact schedule. If you want to go faster, plug in a higher number to see how things would change

Wow, that is pathetic that there is so little information on tapering this med and that Dr. Pundy didn't know anything either although kudos to him for listening to you.
Luthie2006 wrote:Thanks everyone!!! What a wonderful Group of supportive people! I agree with everything stated. I agree that if a doctor does not how to safely taper their patient off a drug, that they should not be allowed to give it out in the first place!! He thought he was right, drop it off at 30 mg, after 2 weeks.

Now as far as Dr. Pundy, to be very honest with you, he was not sure either, believe it or not. I think to be honest, he uses the same rule as my old idiot Primary but did not tell me that. And he is supposed to be the expert as drug tapering.
He opened up the old Pharmacology book and basically under Cymbalta it said the same thing that my old clueless primary told me, the 30 mg "rule."
30 mg every other day, for 2 weeks, then every 3 days, and then drop off! Basically the only difference between Dr. Pundy and my old idiot Primary is that Dr. Pundy will write a script for whatever I want to taper off. He asked me "What do you want to do?" I told him well what do you think? At first he wrote me a script for 20's, and at the end of the appt. he said, "Wait, that is really more than you are taking now." I am taking 30 mg every other day, which is 15 mg a day. 20's every day would be equal to 40 mg which is more than now. So he said, "Ok, 15 mg every day for one month." Then 7.5 mg or 10 mg every month, and then 5 mg every month. After reading SirNoddin's Off response, he felt that I should be on the last 10% much longer. Does anyone on here know how long I should stay on the 5 mg when I go on this my 3rd month? This is very important to me. Thank you. And thank you 49er for putting me into contact with Dr. Pundy who is in the same hospital as I work in!!

archangle

Post by archangle » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:02 pm

49er wrote:
archangle wrote:Doctors and pharma REALLY hate to acknowledge that their drugs have to be tapered off of.
I think if a doctor can't adequately explain how he/she will taper you off of a drug that is prescribed should not be allowed to write a prescription for the med. And sorry, if he/she says, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, should be looked at with great suspicion.
Unfortunately, they do have an explanation. Then when the patient has problems, it's either an anomaly or psychological problems. Often wrong but never uncertain.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

49er

Post by 49er » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:23 pm

archangle wrote:
49er wrote:
archangle wrote:Doctors and pharma REALLY hate to acknowledge that their drugs have to be tapered off of.
I think if a doctor can't adequately explain how he/she will taper you off of a drug that is prescribed should not be allowed to write a prescription for the med. And sorry, if he/she says, we'll cross that bridge when we come to it, should be looked at with great suspicion.
Unfortunately, they do have an explanation. Then when the patient has problems, it's either an anomaly or psychological problems. Often wrong but never uncertain.
Sadly, you are so right.

49er