Newly diagnosed CSA - waiting & what to do in meantime?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
BlackSpinner

Re: Newly diagnosed CSA - waiting & what to do in meantime?

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:55 am

avi123 wrote:OSA is a disease like many others such as Heart arrhythmia, Positional Vertigo, Asthma, Urinary tract infection, etc. Where would you go for help during weekends and holidays if not to an emergency room in a hospital. U.S. physicians don't work after hours, and also not on weekends and holidays. So if you're choking during sleep at night and can't breathe, to where would go you for help? This poster named ArchAngel shows up on this website and interferes with members posts quite bullingly. When it comes to medical issues his interference is full of nonsense because he has zero knowledge in physiology, and pathology. On top of it, he never even once agreed to show his own OSA treatment results via graphs Stats, etc. Just words, and more words criticizing others.
The willingness to show graphs has nothing to do with knowledge as is amply demonstrated by your posts.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:57 am

BlackSpinner wrote:The willingness to show graphs has nothing to do with knowledge as is amply demonstrated by your posts.
+1
Took the words right out of my mouth.
But it sure seems to be real important to Avi....not sure why though. Though I sure shut him up when I showed mine.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:38 am

Pugsy wrote:
BlackSpinner wrote:The willingness to show graphs has nothing to do with knowledge as is amply demonstrated by your posts.
+1
But it sure seems to be real important to Avi....not sure why though. Though I sure shut him up when I showed mine.
I'm guessing it's because that's about all he can do, cherry pick OLD references to support his crackpot ideas, and post vague, meaningless stuff that's allegedly his charts.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Aug 21, 2014 12:57 pm

avi123 wrote:OSA is a disease like many others such as Heart arrhythmia, Positional Vertigo, Asthma, Urinary tract infection, etc. Where would you go for help during weekends and holidays if not to an emergency room in a hospital. U.S. physicians don't work after hours, and also not on weekends and holidays. So if you're choking during sleep at night and can't breathe, to where would go you for help? This poster named ArchAngel shows up on this website and interferes with members posts quite bullingly. When it comes to medical issues his interference is full of nonsense because he has zero knowledge in physiology, and pathology. On top of it, he never even once agreed to show his own OSA treatment results via graphs Stats, etc. Just words, and more words criticizing others.
In other words,

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:06 pm

Pugsy wrote:
+1
Question,

So what is your reply to the OP? You don't have one b/c your background in biology, physiology and medical issues also do not exist.

see my recent set-up and Statistics:
http://i.imgur.com/TewT8G9.png
see my recent ResScan treatment results:
http://i.imgur.com/3oia0EY.png
http://i.imgur.com/QEjvlVY.png

BlackSpinner

Post by BlackSpinner » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:27 pm

avi123 wrote:
Pugsy wrote:
+1
Question,

So what is your reply to the OP? You don't have one b/c your background in biology, physiology and medical issues also do not exist.
Neither do you. And since the op isn't getting any help from those wonderfully competent people, others share their experiences.
If you see some one in trouble, do you walk away because you have no degree in what ever the issue is? Considering the crap you have been blithering in other threads the answer is no, usually you help by tripping them.

71. The lame can ride on horseback, the one-handed drive cattle. The deaf, fight and be useful. To be blind is better than to be burnt on the pyre. No one gets good from a corpse. The Havamal

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:29 pm

avi123 wrote:So what is your reply to the OP? You don't have one b/c your background in biology, physiology and medical issues also do not exist.
My comment was to Black Spinner. Perhaps you failed to see that I quoted her response.

What I would have said to the OP has already been said so I don't see the need to repeat it. With the exception of your idiotic comments OP has got good information.

and how, pray tell, do you know what my background is?
Believe what you want Avi. I don't really care. I told you a long time ago that when you dish out blatantly incorrect information (stupid, dangerous or nonsense) someone would call you on it. Since other people here know you so well, I have found out that I am not the only one who sees through you so they correct you and I don't have to mess with you very often.

You want to go picking another fight....start your own thread devoted to fighting and I will put my gloves on and come duke it out with you. I am not going to hijack someone else's thread though. So go do something...I don't care what...just leave me alone.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

palerider

Post by palerider » Thu Aug 21, 2014 1:44 pm

dangerous lunatic raved wrote:OSA is a disease like many others such as Heart arrhythmia, Positional Vertigo, Asthma, Urinary tract infection, etc. Where would you go for help during weekends and holidays if not to an emergency room in a hospital. U.S. physicians don't work after hours, and also not on weekends and holidays. So if you're choking during sleep at night and can't breathe, to where would go you for help?

OSA is a *chronic* condition.

there's a reason they call those places "EMERGENCY departments". ERs are for acute, life threatening conditions that *can not wait*.

aside from the fact that they would have no idea what to do with a person having sleep apnea, and they cost *thousands* of dollars just to walk in the door, and you'll wait HOURS to be seen behind the people that have *acute* *life threatening* conditions, and piss off the ER staff.... your idea is just *stupid*.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

SleepyEyes21

Post by SleepyEyes21 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 3:06 pm

archangle wrote:
SleepyEyes21 wrote:Also - you can look into buying a used machine to start treatment before your next sleep study. I know there are CPAP machines with 'autoset' that automatically adjust the titration rate you need, as you need it; you may not need a titration rate from your doc, but palerider and archangle can probably inform you better on that, since I am not sure about CSA machines.
Treating central apnea on your own is a lot tougher than treating obstructive apnea on your own. Not that I recommend trying to treat obstructive on your own.

Doubly so for a newbie.

Doubly doubly so because you can make CSA worse with CPAP done wrong.
Good advice! Mossy- ask your doc about possibly buying or renting a machine until your next study. He/She may know a titration rate to set that would be in a safe range to try. At least that might bring you some relief?

mossytreesprite

Post by mossytreesprite » Thu Aug 21, 2014 4:40 pm

Hello to all providing comments - I appreciate the input from everyone. I will be more aggressive in finding another sleep study clinic. There are several others (I am limited somewhat by my insurance)- most of which are still booked for months, but cancellation lists are available, and I will certainly get my name on those. I called my doctor, and they sent my referral to another clinic about 45 minutes away that has an opening the first week of September, so I am happy to drive a little farther to get seen sooner. I have a strong feeling that a Periodic Limb Movement disorder diagnosis is coming my way too - I sent the description to my spouse, and he said that it describes my sleeping activity pretty accurately. I have no idea what can be done for that, but mostly I'm concerned about not getting enough oxygen. I'm definitely feeling more anxiety, and now I'm getting a panicked feeling during the day that I can't breathe or get enough O2. It's true that I've probably had this for years, so a few more weeks won't make much of a difference, but many of you hit the nail on the head - it's really hard to wait it out when you know that better sleep could be a reality - I am SO tired of being SO tired!

I have already read many posts on here, and there definitely is some great information. Forgive me here, but as a new poster, I can tell that there are some long-running problems between members - I am absolutely sure that there are valid reasons for disagreements, but as someone new, it is really discouraging to see back-and-forth bickering when you are seeking help for a problem that is new and scary. I don't mean to be rude, but could we "take it outside" on this kind of stuff? I do appreciate differing opinions - and I can understand the validity of, for example, going/not going to the ER, and I really do appreciate getting multiple opinions on that. I know there is a lot of great advice to be heard on this site, and I would like to stick around a learn it - so that maybe someday I can help someone new and scared too. Thanks for reading...
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

archangle

Post by archangle » Thu Aug 21, 2014 10:33 pm

mossytreesprite wrote:I have already read many posts on here, and there definitely is some great information. Forgive me here, but as a new poster, I can tell that there are some long-running problems between members - I am absolutely sure that there are valid reasons for disagreements, but as someone new, it is really discouraging to see back-and-forth bickering when you are seeking help for a problem that is new and scary. I don't mean to be rude, but could we "take it outside" on this kind of stuff? I do appreciate differing opinions - and I can understand the validity of, for example, going/not going to the ER, and I really do appreciate getting multiple opinions on that. I know there is a lot of great advice to be heard on this site, and I would like to stick around a learn it - so that maybe someday I can help someone new and scared too. Thanks for reading...
You have a valid point. I do try to avoid feeding the trolls. However, sometimes I feel it's important enough to warn people, especially newbies, when wrong or outright dangerous advice is given. Unfortunately, this tends to set the trolls off.

Please enter your equipment in your profile so we can help you.
Click here for information on the most common alternative to CPAP.
If it's midnight and a DME tells you it's dark outside, go and check for yourself.

Useful Links.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Thu Aug 21, 2014 11:15 pm

The problem is that no one really knows what problem do you have. You have not elaborated about what test were done on you and the results. Also, it is not clear if you have an insurer behind you to carry out a correct sleep test in a lab and for the insurer to also pay the money for a machine with the accessories. Once you got the diagnosis RX from the sleep lab than any kind of a physician can order the stuff. It does need not need be done by Sleep Doc. As to getting organized I bet that in Oregon there are support groups which would be helpful to get you started. Try looking for support groups of sleep apnea in Portland, Oregon

mossytreesprite

Post by mossytreesprite » Fri Aug 22, 2014 11:10 am

Thank you Archangle - I really do appreciate your post.

Avi - I do have insurance and they will cover the in-lab sleep test and the equipment, once it's been prescribed. I do not know the specific type of take-home equipment I used - it was a device I strapped to my chest, and plugged in a canula I placed in my nostrils and a pulse-ox finger thing. The results produced multiple graphs showing waking due to obstructive and central apnea events, oxygen levels, AHI, and a few others. The results indicated severe central sleep apnea, AHI = 31, and oxygen low of 62 - what other problems are there, I don't know yet - I'm waiting for the lab sleep test. I'm not able to elaborate any further, I didn't memorize the chart - all I know is that this is a new diagnosis that before Monday of this week, I didn't even know about. The low oxygen levels scared me and when I found out how long it might take to get in for the full sleep test where they can titrate the breathing apparatus, I was double scared, hence posting a request for advice on here, as I didn't know if there might be a method to help keep my oxygen up at night while I'm waiting for the test/device.

The good news is that after calling multiple places, I found one that can get me in Sept 3rd, so I think I can manage the wait now - a week and a half is ever so much better than 2 months. Thanks again to all who took the time to offer advice - it is truly appreciated.
Be who you are and say what you feel, because those who mind don’t matter and those who matter don’t mind.

avi123

Post by avi123 » Sat Aug 23, 2014 8:06 am

mossytreesprite, when I started CPAPing 4 years ago I was in your situation with sleep fragmentation of AHI= 43 and Oxygen Blood Saturation dropping to SpO2 = 84%. After a few nights of using CPAP treatment it all changed to normal values of sleep efficiently = 83%; AHI = 2.4, and lowest Saturation SpO2 of 89%.

Like several members here I purchased a finger Pulse Oximeter and checked my saturation overnight. You can see on this YouTube about this Contec Pulse Oximeter model CMS50E costing about $100 which I purchased. The Oximeter stores full night data and a software that comes with it allows downloading the data into a computer. After checking it in my laptop I am satisfied with the results. I see no reason for checking my SpO2 more than once every six month. A member of this community has posted an explanation of how to present the graphical data from this oximeter to be synchronized with SleepyHead software:

CMS50E Pulse Oximeter explained on YouTube:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tak43PjmxFI

User Manual:

http://www.pulseoxstore.com/CMS-50E.pdf

My night Oximetry results and Heart beats: