Finally got switched to auto - new data

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
palerider

Re: Finally got switched to auto - new data

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:48 pm

you might want to lower the top pressure some and reduce EPR, it might help keep the leaks from getting crazy.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

Nick Danger

Post by Nick Danger » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:55 pm

Are you using a mask liner?

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Aug 22, 2014 12:58 pm

You DO KNOW you need to adjust your headgear to the maximum pressure your machine is set to (when using a range of pressures), don't you?

Otherwise, I recommend going back to straight pressure and work up in gradual steps from where you were before going to Auto mode.

Den

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:08 pm

Wulfman... wrote:You DO KNOW you need to adjust your headgear to the maximum pressure your machine is set to (when using a range of pressures), don't you?

Otherwise, I recommend going back to straight pressure and work up in gradual steps from where you were before going to Auto mode.
OP has a very long history of having immense problems trying to find a mask that works for him.

Accounts to put on the foe list: dataq1, clownbell, gearchange, lynninnj, mper!?, DreamDiver, Geer1, almostadoctor, sleepgeek, ajack, stom, mogy, D.H., They often post misleading, timewasting stuff.

FreeIndeed

Post by FreeIndeed » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:33 pm

Wulfman... wrote:You DO KNOW you need to adjust your headgear to the maximum pressure your machine is set to (when using a range of pressures), don't you?

Den

If my headgear were any tighter my face would collapse.
Machine: Resmed S9 Autoset
Humidifer: H5i
Hose: Resmed Climateline
Mask: Airfit F10
Cookies: Yes, please

FreeIndeed

Post by FreeIndeed » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:34 pm

Nick Danger wrote:Are you using a mask liner?
I tried REsmed's little gel nose thingy, but it leaked at the point where the gel strip ends and your cheeks begin. I tried it with 2 sizes of F10 masks and moved it around countless times.

I have not tried a whole mask liner though.

FreeIndeed

Post by FreeIndeed » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:37 pm

HoseCrusher wrote:You have my vote for the ugly leak graph of the week...
Yeah - I'm number 1, I'm number 1!

I've seen others say that finding the right mask was the hardest part, but I never imagined... The sad part is, I spend about 15-20 minutes lying down using the mask fit feature just trying to get the mask to seal all the way. So it's certainly not for lack of trying!

FreeIndeed

Post by FreeIndeed » Fri Aug 22, 2014 1:41 pm

Pugsy wrote: Your mask is not working for you. If you can't get it to seal better than this you need to try something else.
Mouth breathing leaks with nasal pillows don't look this bad.

I'm wondering if going to a nasal pillow like the P10 and then trying either the mouthpiece option or a chin strap might be worth it. I know my DME has those in stock and I go in Monday again. It might work for sealing better.... as long as the high pressure doesn't launch the nasal pillows out of my nose!

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:08 pm

FreeIndeed wrote:
I tried REsmed's little gel nose thingy, but it leaked at the point where the gel strip ends and your cheeks begin. I tried it with 2 sizes of F10 masks and moved it around countless times.

why not?

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:09 pm

FreeIndeed wrote:

Den

If my headgear were any tighter my face would collapse.
In view of palerider's post, have you tried a ResMed Ultra Mirage Full Face?

What size do you use? (or maybe more appropriately......what is the "appropriate" size for you?)

There's a mask sizing section on CPAP-dot-COM's website. If you haven't, you might want to check that out.

Den

Wulfman...

Post by Wulfman... » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:14 pm

Maybe another thing to consider is your bed pillow.
They can make a huge difference with regard to mask leakage.
If you're using a "standard" fiberfill pillow, I would suggest something that doesn't allow your head to sink in to the point where it pushes your mask out of alignment.

Den

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:15 pm

FreeIndeed wrote:. as long as the high pressure doesn't launch the nasal pillows out of my nose!
Did you know that I routinely see pressures over 20 cm nearly every night and I have never used anything but nasal pillows? Contrary to what people have been led to believe they won't go flying across the room.

This guy thought he absolutely had to use a full face mask also. I had to just about break his arm to get him to at least try nasal pillows.
I know it's a long thread but read it and skim through the irrelevant stuff
viewtopic/t87166/AHI-131---Help-me-unde ... sults.html
His leaks rivaled yours in terms of ugly.

I don't remember just when in the thread he switched over to the nasal pillows but he did and never looked back.
Check out page 18 as it shows a graph of the leak trends over months. It was in April he changed to nasal pillows.

Here...this is when he got the 2 nasal pillow masks to try...page 10
viewtopic.php?f=1&t=87166&st=0&sk=t&sd=a&start=135

At this point even if you mouthed breathed hugely for an hour it would still be better than what you are getting now.

If you can normally breathe through your nose just fine most of the time....worth a try.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

FreeIndeed

Post by FreeIndeed » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:17 pm

Wulfman... wrote:
In view of palerider's post, have you tried a ResMed Ultra Mirage Full Face?

What size do you use? (or maybe more appropriately......what is the "appropriate" size for you?)

There's a mask sizing section on CPAP-dot-COM's website. If you haven't, you might want to check that out.

Den

Den, I tried the Mirage QUattro full face and even with the nose screw tightened down all the way I still couldn't get it to seal. I use a medium, but was on the edge of small (according to the chart), so I have both a medium and a small Airfit F10 right now. I've tried them both alone and with the resmed's gel face seal thingy.

palerider

Post by palerider » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:21 pm

Wulfman... wrote:Maybe another thing to consider is your bed pillow.
They can make a huge difference with regard to mask leakage.
If you're using a "standard" fiberfill pillow, I would suggest something that doesn't allow your head to sink in to the point where it pushes your mask out of alignment.

Den

some history, Den: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=99669&p=927193#p927193

FreeIndeed

Post by FreeIndeed » Fri Aug 22, 2014 2:22 pm

palerider wrote:
FreeIndeed wrote:

why not?
I didn't think it could make that much difference. If it really can I can certainly try it. Do you know a particular thread that talks about making them?