Floating white "scum" in my humidifier

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
ksp

Floating white "scum" in my humidifier

Post by ksp » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:04 am

I have begun to get floating white scum or something in my humidifier. I washed it with vinegar two weeks ago and it has come back. So does anyone know what that might be? I use distilled water and just add to it when needed. Is thsi because o fthe summer temps or old water? I usually buy 3 gallons of distilled water and set it in my bedroom. Should this be refridgerated? Any advice would be appreciated.
Kyle

bdp522

Re: Floating white "scum" in my humidifier

Post by bdp522 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 7:54 am

You need to wash the HH tank thoroughly with soap and water, I would even use a couple drops of bleach at this point. Then rinse very well and let air dry completely. See if this helps.

Brenda

SleepyDragon

Post by SleepyDragon » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:01 am

ksp wrote:I have begun to get floating white scum or something in my humidifier. I washed it with vinegar two weeks ago and it has come back. So does anyone know what that might be? I use distilled water and just add to it when needed. Is thsi because o fthe summer temps or old water? I usually buy 3 gallons of distilled water and set it in my bedroom. Should this be refridgerated? Any advice would be appreciated.
Kyle
I completely replace the water in my tank twice a week. I've not had this problem in the year I've been on CPAP.

SleepyDragon

"I'd kill for a good night's sleep."

ksp

Post by ksp » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:13 am

Thanks for the responses. If there is "nothing" in distilled water, then what the heck is that stuff? Seems like I only get that stuff under certain conditions.

jdm2857

Post by jdm2857 » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:26 am

There is all kinds of bacteria and mold in the air. It can get into the water in your humidifier. That is why it's best to dump and refill it periodically. There's no need to refrigerate the bottles of distilled water.

Take Brenda's advice on throughly cleaning the tank. Bleach is effective even in small concentrations.
jeff

LinkC

Post by LinkC » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:00 am

I'd say it's mold spores. How often do you clean/change your machine's filter(s)?

Unlike his passengers who died screaming as the car went over the cliff...

ozij

Post by ozij » Mon Jul 06, 2009 11:13 am

After you do all the cleaning, try distilled water from another source.

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

ksp

Post by ksp » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:56 pm

LinkC wrote:I'd say it's mold spores. How often do you clean/change your machine's filter(s)?
Which filters are you referring to? The ones in the back of the cpap machine? I change them every 2-3 months or so. Usually rinse the foam one out and change the white one.

BeanMeScot

Post by BeanMeScot » Mon Jul 06, 2009 1:58 pm

The white one needs to be changed out about once a month, in general. You should have seen how black mine was after a 2 week trip to Bangkok! If it is turning grayish, I replace it.

REK

Post by REK » Mon Jul 06, 2009 2:42 pm

When you used the vinegar to wash your mask did you let it sit and soak with the vinegar solution it it for about 10 minutes or so. I don't do this very often about once a month, but I do wash my water chamber out every other day with soap and water, rinse it well and replace the distilled water at least every other day. I have never had any problem with mold or other debris floating in the chamber.

Synergy Respiratory Care

Post by Synergy Respiratory Care » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:50 pm

This is very important. You are doing the right thing by using distilled water, but for your health you need to clean that water chamber with either dish soap and water or vinigar and water everyother day. This is a breeding ground for bacteria and it will make you sick. I have had patients that have been hospitalized from pneumonia caused by not cleaning there chambers frequently enough. Especially in the summer, this is very important!!!! Thanks Laura RRT

Synergy Respiratory Care

Post by Synergy Respiratory Care » Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:53 pm

Another thing is that insurance will allow for a new humidifier chamber every 6 months. And bleach is not recommened use on them. Laura RRT

ksp

Post by ksp » Tue Jul 07, 2009 7:36 am

Wonderfull responses!
I'll clean me chamber more often and see what happens. Normally I take vinegar and just shake the crap out out of it and then rinse with water and let air dry. I'll also change the filters more often.

ozij

Post by ozij » Tue Jul 07, 2009 12:02 pm

The external filte on my machien has to be washed once a week.

DeVilbiss wants once in 10 days...

O.

Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Good advice is compromised by missing data
Forum member Dog Slobber Nov. 2023

Jayjonbeach

Post by Jayjonbeach » Tue Dec 04, 2012 9:55 pm

Synergy Respiratory Care wrote:This is very important. You are doing the right thing by using distilled water, but for your health you need to clean that water chamber with either dish soap and water or vinigar and water everyother day. This is a breeding ground for bacteria and it will make you sick. I have had patients that have been hospitalized from pneumonia caused by not cleaning there chambers frequently enough. Especially in the summer, this is very important!!!! Thanks Laura RRT
Indeed, I rinse my tank out every couple of weeks or so just with warm water and a little soap, and this STILL happened to me!

I did not get fully sick, but I was waking up with what seemed like moisture in my lungs, and coughing up lots of phelm. I did just get over a cold, and thought maybe that was why, NOPE. Like the OP I found some white gook floating in my tank, stuck to the sides and the level indicator! GROSS!

I tried washing it out with warm to hot soapy water, it did NOT come out! I tried putting my finger in the hole, and managed to get some out, and I also noticed that the bottom has a very scummy film on it, even after all the rinsing, and yes before someone asks I DO use distilled water only.

So due to the crap in the air we breathe, and the nature of the humidifier tank, I can confirm that soapy water is NOT enough to avoid the problem, and obviously YMMV depending on where you live, etc etc

What I really want to know is, what WILL be the best way to avoid this issue, without ruining the tank. I am going to try vinegar, but have my doubts about it taking off all that scum and preventing it in the future.

Tired of being tired for 20 years running, hoping this is the answer...