S9ers Have you changed the EPR Inhale Type?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Physician

Why mod and fast disabled in autoset mode

Post by Physician » Sun Aug 15, 2010 9:27 am

Physician wrote:
DreamOn wrote:The med/fast "EPR Inhale" setting is only available in CPAP mode on the S9 Autoset. You won't see it as a menu option if you have the machine set to Auto mode.

That's absolutely correct.

ResMed Tech Support sent me an explanation of this. Will post it later today.
Physician, I would be interested to read what ResMed Tech Support sent you regarding "EPR Inhale." I'd like to know why Fast "EPR Inhale" is an option in CPAP mode, but not APAP mode.

Okay, here is an answer from someone of authority at ResMed as to WHY MODERATE AND FAST ARE DISABLED IN AUTOSET MODE:

The fast return to pressure could distort the flow time curve and create non-natural breath shapes, similar to what is seen with older square wave bilevel technology. This could potentially cause a false positive detection in the flow limitation algorithm. Thus only “Med” is available, because it maintains the natural breath shape.

And here's a reply as to WHY "SLOW" IS NOT AN OPTION:

It was deemed inappropriate for the US market because clinicians had concerns over the slow rise time back to therapy pressure during the respiratory cycle.

DreamOn

Re: S9ers Have you changed the EPR Inhale Type?

Post by DreamOn » Sun Aug 15, 2010 10:03 am

Thanks for posting that information, Physician!

frh

Post by frh » Sun Aug 15, 2010 4:05 pm

This is my second night on the fast setting. It looks like I was back to shallower breathing toward the end of the night:

Physician

Post by Physician » Sun Aug 15, 2010 11:59 pm

Physician, I would be interested to read what ResMed Tech Support sent you regarding "EPR Inhale." I'd like to know why Fast "EPR Inhale" is an option in CPAP mode, but not APAP mode.

GO HERE: viewtopic.php?f=1&t=54586&p=510040