Side sleeping and arms numb - suggestions?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
glarnold

Side sleeping and arms numb - suggestions?

Post by glarnold » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:04 am

I have what appears to be a minor problem, compared to many. Machine, mask, leaks and AHI's all good. I'm a mouth breather and side sleeper. Mostly on my left side. My bottom shoulder and arm seem to go to sleep, becoming numb. Either side. Ten years on bipap. Quattro FFM. Use buckwheat hull pillow. Good mattress with two inch foam topper. Last few weeks has been gradually getting worse. Has anybody else experienced this and found a useful solution? Thanks for any suggestions.

Pugsy

Re: Side sleeping and arms numb - suggestions?

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:12 am

That's a tough one. I experience what you are talking about fairly often and have never really found a permanent full proof solution other than turning on the other side. The numbness is from a nerve somewhere getting pressure on it to the point it is sort of pinched and it's only relieved once the pressure is removed. I am thinking it is probably compression in the area around the clavicle where there is a main nerve that goes down the arm. I had to have surgery one time on a broken wrist and they did a nerve block to the nerve in that area and had the same sensation as when I sleep on my side and the down arm goes numb.

The numbness could also be from the same compression but maybe a nerve in the cervical spine.

About all I know to offer is perhaps try a different bed pillow that keeps the head/cervical spine straighter and helps reduce the sagging/compression in the clavicle area on the down side.

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

Julie

Post by Julie » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:16 am

You might want to ask your MD (or neurologist) about thoracic outlet syndrome (Google it for an explanation) which if you have it, can be fixed.

glarnold

Post by glarnold » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:18 am

Thanks, Pugsy. That's sort of what I was afraid of. The buckwheat pillow seems to help. Always something.

glarnold

Post by glarnold » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:19 am

Thanks, Julie. Will definitely look into that.

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Thu Apr 23, 2015 8:23 am

The area that I was talking about was where the TOS that Julie mentioned is involved.
I my case it only happens after prolonged sleeping on one side and doesn't always happen even then.
It's relieved rather quickly and easily simply by turning on my other side and never happens during the day so I wouldn't be considering the surgical option in my situation.
Now if it happens during the day or turning on the other side doesn't offer relief that comes rather quickly (like it last for a long time even after changing sides) then a surgical solution might be indicated.

Yeah..there's always something and the buckwheat pillow helps me too. That's why I keep it rather firm to offer as much support as I can get. If I use a regular pillow I tend to have the TOS symptoms more often (like when I go visit the daughter and use her regular pillows).

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

glarnold

Post by glarnold » Thu Apr 23, 2015 3:01 pm

Turning on other side offers quick relief, but takes only 15 minutes to be numb on that side. Doesn't happen during day. And relief within 5 minutes of getting up, maybe even less. Sleeping on back eliminates the numbness, but then nasal drip starts me coughing, which then sends the cats scrambling. Sometimes occurs in hands, on long drives, in prolonged hands on wheel position. After 5 or 6 hours. Thanks both for your insights. Will pursue adjusting the pillow. Thankfully, I still get some good sleep.

kteague

Post by kteague » Thu Apr 23, 2015 5:09 pm

I've had chronic shoulder and neck problems to varying degrees off and on for many years. I think my numbness these days when side sleeping is coming from the shoulder level. I can usually relieve the numbness by shifting positions and changing the pressure between back, mid, or front of the shoulder. For future reference I try to make a mental note of how I'm positioned when the arm goes numb. Usually forget though.