Night time urination / apnea issues

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Tigerlily

Re: Night time urination / apnea issues

Post by Tigerlily » Sun Jan 04, 2015 9:18 pm

mon wrote:I have been told that there is a hormone that is released every time you have an untreated apnea, its function is to arouse you to take a breath. This hormone should not be released as regularly as it is when you have untreated OSA. When you treat the apneas, the hormone is not released as often. This hormone also makes you produce more urine so when you use a CPAP machine you don't produce the same quantities of urine.
I would say the reason you have been producing more urine of late is because you are losing weight. As you burn up fat, you lose fluid and that's possibly why you are urinating more frequently. I would expect while you are dieting you will continue to urinate much more.
That is a possibility I suppose. I have been losing a lot of retained fluids.

I sure hope I don't have some of the problems that were listed above but a check to the gyn, and telling her my symptoms is in order for sure.

Additional Comments: Pressure: 11 , OSCAR software
~ Tigerlily ~

mon

Post by mon » Sun Jan 04, 2015 11:30 pm

Julie wrote:Mon - are you a doctor, or just like to speculate with other people's health?
There are many sites that you can search that will confirm what I suggested. Obviously there are many reasons for frequency but not all of them are bad.
Do a Search for
Frequent Urination and Sleep Apnea - Sleep Guide
and
Weight Loss and Urination

CocoPazzo

Post by CocoPazzo » Tue Jan 06, 2015 11:37 am

In many instances, "night time urination" falls under the medical term of NOCTURIA. It is often a symptom of sleep apnea-- one that physicians are now becoming more aware of. However, a CPAP is not necessarily a cure for all types of nocturia which can be related to other sleep issues, including insomnia, esp. as the patient/user ages. What frequently happens is that the sleep issue awakens the patient, who becomes aware of a minor (or major) need to void the bladder, and in the process of getting up, going to the bathroom, etc., becomes more awake, thus exacerbating the insomnia. All the usual caveats of avoid caffeine, chocolate, alcohol, beverage consumption prior to bedtime apply, but for many the sleep, awake, pee, toss around impatiently, etc., remain.
A visit to the urologist may be in order, esp. for males whose enlarging prostate could be a factor. Similarly, the trigger may be neurological, although not all neurologists are as well versed in the relationship between the bladder, sleep issues, and apnea as one would hope. They may order a sleep study which will reveal apnea-- which you already knew. And don't be surprised if you are then prescribed some sleeping pill which will work well, allowing you to sleep through night, only to feel zonked for a good portion of the following day. (Much like you were before your CPAP allowed you to sleep through the night)
Good luck. That waking to pee cycle can be very frustrating.