I need suggestions for a nasal mask

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Logies101

I need suggestions for a nasal mask

Post by Logies101 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:05 pm

I'm a new cpap user and I have a Wisp nasal mask. The issue I am having is with it touching my nose. It came with three different sizes but all of them do the same thing. It makes me feel claustrophobic and the silicone seal on the bottom where it touches my upper lip bothers me immensely. Does anyone have a suggestion for a different nasal mask that is not so confining and close to the nose and something not so bulky between the nose and upper lip?

Sleeprider

Re: I need suggestions for a nasal mask

Post by Sleeprider » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:21 pm

Any of the nasal pillows seem to meet your desire for a minimal less confining option. Probably the Resmed Airfit P10 is the most minimal, unobtrusive of anything on the market today. I'm looking forward to trying one soon.

Logies101

Post by Logies101 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 9:47 pm

Thank you, I checked that one out and noticed it has the little inserts into the nose, is there one without the inserts, sorry I'm not real savvy with the technical names of the masks yet.

eleong2

Post by eleong2 » Sat Dec 13, 2014 10:47 pm

Logies101 wrote:I'm a new cpap user and I have a Wisp nasal mask. The issue I am having is with it touching my nose. It came with three different sizes but all of them do the same thing. It makes me feel claustrophobic and the silicone seal on the bottom where it touches my upper lip bothers me immensely. Does anyone have a suggestion for a different nasal mask that is not so confining and close to the nose and something not so bulky between the nose and upper lip?
I first started out with the Wisp and it worked well until it started to make the bridge of my nose sore. It would push up when I would roll around. The Wisp is pretty minimal and you might have a problem finding a nasal mask that is less confining. I am currently using the Resmed Activa LT. nasal mask, works great for me but it is pretty bulky and probably not meet your needs. You might want to try the Resmed Airfit N10, same series as the P10 but a nasal version. It appears to me as on the same line as the Wisp. Hopefully some one who is using an N10 will provide some info on that mask.

bwexler

Post by bwexler » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:13 pm

I use the Wisp and have had both of the problems you describe.
I have found that adjust the head gear and placement of the mask has corrected both issues. Occasionally my nose will touch the mask but a slight adjustment of the position on my face and all is well.
I did try an extra large cushion for about an hour, but it was definitely too bulky between my nose and upper lip. I went back to large. You might want to try small/medium or even petite.

Janknitz

Post by Janknitz » Sat Dec 13, 2014 11:23 pm

I bought a Padacheek liner for the Whisp. I don't like silicone cushions touching my face.

Otherwise you may want to consider a full face mask which does not touch the upper lip.
What you need to know before you meet your DME http://tinyurl.com/2arffqx
Taming the Mirage Quattro http://tinyurl.com/2ft3lh8
Swift FX Fitting Guide http://tinyurl.com/22ur9ts
Don't Pay that Upcharge! http://tinyurl.com/2ck48rm

Guest 2

Post by Guest 2 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 8:55 am

I started with the Resmed N10 , I really like how non claustrophobic it was , I just had troubles with it venting properly my EPR was set to 3 which is the least amount of back pressure I could have and still had trouble with exhaling.
So my DME suggested I try the F&P Eson mask and wow that was it for me it does have a forehead strap and a piece of clear plastic in front of the nose , but it did not bother my claustrophobia for me my leaks went way down and I now sleep through the night.
Everybody has there own opinons on masks but for me I don't mind the Eson at all.
Good luck stay with it you will find one that works for you!

49er

Post by 49er » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:08 am

Logies101 wrote:I'm a new cpap user and I have a Wisp nasal mask. The issue I am having is with it touching my nose. It came with three different sizes but all of them do the same thing. It makes me feel claustrophobic and the silicone seal on the bottom where it touches my upper lip bothers me immensely. Does anyone have a suggestion for a different nasal mask that is not so confining and close to the nose and something not so bulky between the nose and upper lip?
Logies101,

The elan cloth mask touches my nose but it is very comfortable. I say this as someone who is very hypersensitive to things on my face and tried a "million" masks. Of course, your mileage will vary but it might be worth a shot.

49er

Logies101

Post by Logies101 » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:34 pm

Thank you everyone for your replies, you've been very helpful. I'm going to try your suggestions.

sam2jack

Post by sam2jack » Sun Dec 14, 2014 9:52 pm

I also have the Sleepweaver Elan cloth mask and it is extremely comfortable. I can't stand things on my face either. I usually use a nasal pillow. I've only just purchased it, so I cannot address how well it will hold up.