New user...pillows for mouth breathers? Hybrid?

General Discussion on any topic relating to CPAP and/or Sleep Apnea.
Sandy431

New user...pillows for mouth breathers? Hybrid?

Post by Sandy431 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 12:33 pm

I am new at this! I never dreamed I would be diagnosed with OSA but it probably explains many of my health issues: hypertension, atrial fibrillation, insulin resistance, inability to lose weight, (waist size increasing despite following a healthy diet and exercise program) and general lack of energy coupled with need to nap every chance I got. My AHI was 25.3 with O2 going as low as 78%. I have been using my machine 10 days - Respironics REMstar Pro C-Flex+ With a flow of 16. I started with a pillow mask (at my request because I told her I sleep on my side and don't mouth breathe) but found out that first night I couldn't keep from mouth breathing regardless!! Every time I drifted off, I would "puff" out my mouth and awaken. Bad night! I tried taping my jaw closed, etc....bad night! No sleep until I pulled everything off and grabbed a couple hours of "obstructed"sleep. Went back to DME and given a full face mask Quattro Air. Now, I have given every effort in using this mask and wear it all night but wake up fiddling with it, nose itching, etc., etc. The SleepMapper on it is temporary, so they tell me, and has to be returned in a few months. I put the app on my IPad but get little info from it...didn't report past 2 nights. Only reports mask seal, length of use and AHI. Today, I see through this community that there is available a hybrid full face mask with nasal pillows. I think I would like that as I found the nasal pillows were comfortable and did not take over my checks, forehead, etc. Can anyone tell me if this could be be an answer for me if it worked for them? I am wondering why the DME didn't mention this...all she offered was a chin strap but I found (with my jaw taping adventure) that I still could puff out my lips. Any advice would be appreciated! Thanks! I love reading this forum.

cflame1

Re: New user...pillows for mouth breathers? Hybrid?

Post by cflame1 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 1:53 pm

I have been wearing this mask for years now. The Innomed Hybrid is the one that I use. Has nothing on the forehead. Has straps on cheeks but I keep those well padded. I like the chin rest. Definitely would get it online if you're wanting it in order to get all of the sizes of pillows and cushions

Pugsy

Post by Pugsy » Sun Oct 26, 2014 3:56 pm

https://www.cpap.com/productpage/RespCa ... -Mask.html

I would suggest this one since it comes with 3 sizes of cushions and pillows so you can play with the sizes.
The ResMed Liberty is also a hybrid but you have to measure and anticipate cushion size because it only comes with one cushion.

If I ever absolutely had to use a full face mask for some reason it would be the Innomed/RespCare Hybrid and I have been a nasal pillow mask user for over 5 years.
I have tried it. Getting it fitted just right is a bit of a PITA but once you get it done you won't need to change it to put on or take off.

Some hints for stabilizing the pillows...should you need them..can be found here
wiki/index.php/Hybrid_Mask_Modifications

If you want to try the Eclipse mask and want a special promo code to get a little off the price...send me a private message.

doc47

Post by doc47 » Sun Oct 26, 2014 4:46 pm

I have been using the hybrid for 6 months and am going back to a full face tonight. For me, the straps that go behind the neck are too narrow and bunch up and get uncomfortable. I like the nasal pillow masks and thought this would work for me when I decided I needed a full face type. I liked that it was more open in design. But I'm done with it.

Muse-Inc

Post by Muse-Inc » Sun Oct 26, 2014 9:50 pm

Our host sells it and offers return insurance in case it doesn't work out. Many find DMEs don't like dealing with this type of mask. I love it!

ResMed S9 range 9.8-17, RespCare Hybrid FFM
Never, never, never, never say never.